When to take a ball out of play?

Perkins Rooster

Reaction score
Handicap
10.1 RCGA
I was wondering how badly scuffed or marked a ball has to be before you guys take it out of play. It would be great to see some pictures of scuffs that could potentially affect ball flight. I really have no idea.

thanks
Mike

I don't think that scuff marks affect ball flight all that much unless they get pretty bad. Just think about hitting range balls. Some balls are scuffed up real bad and others are brand new and they seem to fly the same distance shot after shot. However, I do notice a difference on shorter shots when you're trying to hit the ball clean and control the spin. Just my thoughts and findings. I would love to hear what others have to say and/or know.

I let the ball get pretty scuffed up. About the only time I will take a ball out of play is when I throw it in the lake or the junk after a bad hole.

You can use the cart strap to buff out a lot of scuff marks.

Usually my bad swing sends them off into the nether before I'm ever faced with the prospect of retiring a ball from being beat up. If I do go on a good streak and manage to tear one up with wedges or cart paths or trees, I'll keep playing them unless I get some pretty deep gouges into the cover.

I let the ball get pretty scuffed up. About the only time I will take a ball out of play is when I throw it in the lake or the junk after a bad hole.

You can use the cart strap to buff out a lot of scuff marks.

I agree. I use mine until it is really bad.

im guilty of playing some "beaters" out there....but odds are I'll lose it before the round is over anyhow

im guilty of playing some "beaters" out there....but odds are I'll lose it before the round is over anyhow

Same here. I'll probably lose it before it gets to beat up to play it.

Same here. I'll probably lose it before it gets to beat up to play it.
Same here. But I don't take a ball out of play unless something really wrong happens to the ball. But with the e6's I have not noticed as much wear on the ball compared to the ball I used to play.

My balls take themselves out of play before I have to make that decision. They run off to the woods or decide to take a swim... You'd think I was running a summer camp for errant golf balls :)

I usually only use a ball for 1 round. After that it becomes more of a practice ball.

My balls take themselves out of play before I have to make that decision. They run off to the woods or decide to take a swim... You'd think I was running a summer camp for errant golf balls :)

That's pretty much how it is for me as well. You'd think I torture golf balls given how quickly they seem to leave my possession. Of course I find a lot too, so it seems to even out in the end.

The one exception to this is that I'll typically "test" the balls out before a round. I drop them on some concrete and see how high they bounce. If an older looking one only bounces 1/2 as high as all the others, then I figure it is "dead" and it becomes a water ball. That just assures that it will disappear even that much more quickly.

The only time I take it out of play for scuffs is after the round is over unless it's REALLY bad or actually cut. Scuffs don't seem to affect the flight path much but cuts do. Of course, like most of you guys, the lake or woods usually take care of this problem for me!

I can honestly say that I have never taken a ball out of play. If it is still there after one complete round, then I will surely lose it before the second round is complete.

I have taken a ball out of play after 18 holes before just due to the normal wear and tear on the golf ball. I also wondered if they lose some compression over the course of a round. I have been playing the Hex Black Tours lately and after a couple holes, they look like they almost get "cracking" on the hex's? Has anyone else noticed this?

As others have said, I usually lose them before they're so beat up that I take them out of play.

As far as scuffs, I let them get pretty beat up. I won't take a ball out of play until I really start to notice a difference in performance. Unfortunately, I can't afford to keep replacing balls and have to get as much out of each one as I can!

That's good stuff...

I have taken a ball out of play after 18 holes before just due to the normal wear and tear on the golf ball. I also wondered if they lose some compression over the course of a round. I have been playing the Hex Black Tours lately and after a couple holes, they look like they almost get "cracking" on the hex's? Has anyone else noticed this?

There is discussion about that in the Hex Black thread.

I take a ball out of play when lost or has a gouge/rip in the cover. Other than that, I will play with them for as long as I can. Seems even with imperfections the HEX Black still works great for me.

Golf balls get scuffed? I guess if I didn't send so many into the woods, people's backyards or take them swimming I might notice that.

I have had a few balls get scuffed where a small piece of the cover hung off the damagaed area. I figure this would affect ball flight a bit and tossed it, but a few bounces off of a cart path is no matter to me.

I am about the same. I did get three rounds in with a Burner TP ball earlier this spring. I ended up taking out of play because all the paint was coming off and believe it or not the cover material under it is kinda clear. I guess it was trying to camouflage itself so I wouldn't hit it any more.

I have had a few balls get scuffed where a small piece of the cover hung off the damagaed area. I figure this would affect ball flight a bit and tossed it, but a few bounces off of a cart path is no matter to me.

My drives rely on the cart path for distance.

I am one of those players that rarely takes a ball out of play, but if I do, its because it has been thrown into the water, or hit into a field/bush out of frustration.

If a ball is scraped up, or has a ding, I will buff it out, or at least try to. If that doesn't work, I have in the past used a pocket knife to flatten off raised sections/damage on the ball just to keep using it for a few more holes.

Did you ever notice that a new ball won't last long but a junker you find in the woods you can't seem to lose?

Did you ever notice that a new ball won't last long but a junker you find in the woods you can't seem to lose?

Found balls are like a dog from the pound... they know how bad it is out there and love their new home!

Back