Where is your dream retirement state/city?

If I could get to where I could afford it, I wouldn't have to go very far. The Monterey Peninsula would be an AWESOME place to retire or at least be able to spend summers. Where I'm at is actually great in the winter (year-round golf and winter high temps usually in the 50s and 60s), but the summers are awful. I've always been really curious to check out Minnesota/Wisconsin. We have friends who relocated to Hudson, Wisconsin and they absolutely love it. I've met tons of people from Minnesota through hockey and it definitely sounds like my kind of place.

This. I grew up in Pacific Grove/Monterey/Carmel Valley in the 70's and would love to move back someday. I would have to live inside a sand dune or under a bridge to afford to go back though. meh.

As a fallback, I could do summers in Greagle/Quincy area (northwest of Truckee) and come downhill in the winters. Bend, OR is a fantastic place to retire and although very cold in the winter, not much snow.

I'm surprised there are not more spots outside the US on this list.

It's just so hard to find a good mix of nice place, good healthcare, and low cost.

Definitely somewhere warm that provides sufficient golf facilities within driving distance. Whether that be in the south or out west I will take it.

You'll have to denounce your American citizenship to be completely free of US taxes.

I know, a few of my dads friends have done just that. I'm optimistic I won't have to be forced to denounce my citizenship. The good news is after my wife and I retire much of our income will be the form of tax free muni bonds, pension income, and long term capital gains and under the current tax code our effective tax rate will be much lower than it is now. Hopefully things like pensions and long term capital gains will continue to be taxed at lower rates than regular income in the future.

I'll travel south, and when someone asks what's that plug hanging out the grill of the vehicle (block heater). I'll go 6 more hours south to make sure :bye:

Sterling Scotland

Which hole at Widgi do you ace?
Bend is great and for a skier like me, could be a one stop retirement spot. I have had 7 ski trips to Bend in the last 10 years and I have played golf there the last 2 summers. I was lucky enough last May to record a hole-in-one at Widji Creek in Bend. We have already booked our annual boys weekend there over Superbowl weekend. As a bonus they have some of the best breweries on the west coast!

I live in paradise on earth... in the summer. Sask. Canada., we have more lakes than Minnesota, ones you can be the only one on the lake catching 25lb pike, pickerel or trout. Or more resort lakes than anywhere I've ever been (I've been to 30+ states and 5 other countries). So you can be at peace or party depending on your tastes.
We have more golf courses per capita than anywhere else in the world (mine is $500 membership and $36 for the driving range). At reasonable prices.
The world record white tail deer was shot here. Have goose, duck, bear, deer, elk, moose, and antelope hunting. Thousands of Americans hunt here yearly.
We have tons of professional athletes that have cabins at our resort lakes.
We have thousands of miles of hiking, bike, quad trails.
We have the most friendly and neighborly people on earth here. We look out for one another. I haven't locked my house since I bought it 10 years ago (the front door yes), even when I went to Jamaica last winter, my buddy needed something and texted me. I said "garage doors open go help yourself".
We had no recession here, wages and house prices always go up, so you'll always retain value if you purchase land or a cabin. But prices are lower than provincial avg.
We are the fastest growing province, and basically support the rest of Canada (Alberta excluded) with our oil, diamonds, gold, uranium, potash, and forestry.

For the winter, my buddy owns a Canadian restaurant in Jamaica, and he said I can work there part time. I'll switch between there, the Dominican, and Mexico, with trips to Vegas a few times a year.
I already take at least two tropical trips/year, so I know I love it in those places.

But for the summer, there is nowhere I'd rather be. The most beautiful place on earth is Banff National Park in Alberta, but that's basically the only thing that they have that beats us in the summer. BC is beautiful, but also stands for Bring Cash. So between Mid April to the end of October Sask. is paradise.

So that's my tropical plan when I retire in 30 days (30 birthdays, lol)

Somewhere sunny and 75 year round with great affordable golf courses

I live in paradise on earth... in the summer. Sask. Canada., we have more lakes than Minnesota, ones you can be the only one on the lake catching 25lb pike, pickerel or trout. Or more resort lakes than anywhere I've ever been (I've been to 30+ states and 5 other countries). So you can be at peace or party depending on your tastes.
We have more golf courses per capita than anywhere else in the world (mine is $500 membership and $36 for the driving range). At reasonable prices.
The world record white tail deer was shot here. Have goose, duck, bear, deer, elk, moose, and antelope hunting. Thousands of Americans hunt here yearly.
We have the most friendly and neighborly people on earth here. We look out for one another. I haven't locked my house since I bought it 10 years ago (the front door yes), even when I went to Jamaica last winter, my buddy needed something and texted me. I said "garage doors open go help yourself".
We had no recession here, wages and house prices always go up, so you'll always retain value if you purchase land or a cabin. But prices are lower than provincial avg.
We are the fastest growing province, and basically support the rest of Canada (Alberta excluded) with our oil, diamonds, gold, uranium, potash, and forestry.

For the winter, my buddy owns a Canadian restaurant in Jamaica, and he said I can work there part time. I'll switch between there, the Dominican, and Mexico, with trips to Vegas a few times a year.
I already take at least two tropical trips/year, so I know I love it in those places.

But for the summer, there is nowhere I'd rather be. The most beautiful place on earth is Banff National Park in Alberta, but that's basically the only thing that they have that beats us in the summer. BC is beautiful, but also stands for Bring Cash. So between Mid April to the end of October Sask. is paradise.

I love Turtle Lake. So beautiful out there.

It's just so hard to find a good mix of nice place, good healthcare, and low cost.

Panama has all that and more IMO.
Especially if you can be considered under ther expat program which has ALOT of benefits.

Which hole at Widgi do you ace?

My ace was on the 5th. The flag was up front about 15 feet over the right bunker. With the elevation it was only a sand wedge from 122 yards. Strangely, my first ace in 1994 was also from 122 yards with a sand wedge.

it was an amazing day because 9 of my coworkers were there and I somehow managed to keep my wits about me even after the celebratory shots of tequila and shoot a 68.

As of right now, Palm Coast FL. And its not even close.
I know it well! I'd go play a round with you when I visit my Mom- Hammock Beach Resort? Too bad they don't have Matanzas and Cypress Knoll anymore. Used to have four nice courses my parents were members of. Loved to go golf there!!!

Dream place, right? Ok. Summers back home in Michigan! Ann Arbor. I'd live in Barton Hills and join the CC, then split time playing there all summer and at the 30+ courses within a 35 mile radius! For the winter months? I'd live inside the Hideaway in La Quinta, California!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having 3 kids under 10, and I'm 45, no way I'll be able to retire, but it is sure nice to dream!

Sounds like a wonderful two weeks. :D

Sounds really nice, and I've never heard of it. Sounds like a great vacation.

Well done.
My ace was on the 5th. The flag was up front about 15 feet over the right bunker. With the elevation it was only a sand wedge from 122 yards. Strangely, my first ace in 1994 was also from 122 yards with a sand wedge.

it was an amazing day because 9 of my coworkers were there and I somehow managed to keep my wits about me even after the celebratory shots of tequila and shoot a 68.

Florida. I just miss it.

Panama has all that and more IMO.
Especially if you can be considered under ther expat program which has ALOT of benefits.

I used to live in Panama as an Air Force brat and I thought about there, but I will have to go with the suburbs of San Diego.
Great golf weather all the time, right on the ocean for lots of fishing, just down the road from TMAG and Callaway. . . . who could ask for more ?

Well, I'm 15-20 yrs out yet, but the wifey and I plan to keep the house were in (on a great golf course) and buy a condo on the Chicago lakefront. We love the city, the museums, symphony, opera, food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good O'le East Texas. Its where my grandbabies are. The 4 yr old has a pretty good swing already.

Easy, Bandon Oregon.

If I leave my home I would prefer to move to Wilmington, NC area or maybe Georgia Coastal area, I have consider close to Nashville, TN but just not sure about that move.

Golf is great but that weather? Oof

I love weather, maybe my opinion would change when I hit retirement age. If I were to go somewhere south it would be Orange county or just north of the bay area in California, but its to busy for my taste there.

Last edited:
Back