• True Spec

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Club Champion

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • PGA Superstore

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
I agree here but man to purchase from them at those prices is 🤯
It depends on the person. But, the beauty is you get a DEEP fitting and no one is making you buy anything. Can always order elsewhere or build them out yourself.

I primarily started at Golftec to get lessons because I was VERY inconsistent at golf league, and I know I'm capable of playing better. I do feel like my coach has helped me improve and strike the ball more consistently. At this point, I'm prepaid through early to mid February.

I guess I'll consider this a learning experience and will try to make better decisions in the future.

I guess I'm just curious exactly what about Golftec that folks would disagree with.

I guess I'm just curious exactly what about Golftec that folks would disagree with.
How about everything.

I’m sure it’s location dependent but the GolfTec near me is a joke. Their equipment is outdated and I find the people working there to be the equivalent of the guy working at Dick’s in the knowledge dept and that might bean insult to the guy at Dick’s.

I agree here but man to purchase from them at those prices is 🤯

There is a reason for the prices. I think it's something most consumers just shrug off as being overpriced.

They order shafts in bulk and weight sort, frequency match and pure them. With some OEMs there isn't much work to do, like with Oban. However, with others, like KBS and Dynamic Gold, they can be all over the place as far as weight and frequency goes.

Assuming a Club Champion build is the same as an OEM build couldn't be further from the truth. OEMs build to fairly loose tolerances and simple things like grips being put on straight get overlooked. The build is just as important as the actual fitting itself. I may not agree 100% with their pricing, but I understand why they do it. I see so many clubs that come from OEMs and are remarkably off on specs.

There is a reason for the prices. I think it's something most consumers just shrug off as being overpriced.

They order shafts in bulk and weight sort, frequency match and pure them. With some OEMs there isn't much work to do, like with Oban. However, with others, like KBS and Dynamic Gold, they can be all over the place as far as weight and frequency goes.

Assuming a Club Champion build is the same as an OEM build couldn't be further from the truth. OEMs build to fairly loose tolerances and simple things like grips being put on straight get overlooked. The build is just as important as the actual fitting itself. I may not agree 100% with their pricing, but I understand why they do it. I see so many clubs that come from OEMs and are remarkably off on specs.
If that is your thing, it’s your thing. I just don’t think most golfers care about all of that or think it makes much difference

I primarily started at Golftec to get lessons because I was VERY inconsistent at golf league, and I know I'm capable of playing better. I do feel like my coach has helped me improve and strike the ball more consistently. At this point, I'm prepaid through early to mid February.

I guess I'll consider this a learning experience and will try to make better decisions in the future.

I take my lessons at GOLFTEC. I think my coach is great. I tried 4 other coaches/lessons and two others at GOLFTEC location. I knew in minutes that the other 4 weren’t going to worn. Based on my limited experience I think it just finding someone that fits your personality is the key.

I like the fact you have the tech there. It’s just making sure the coach and you understand what the numbers they are providing you actually mean.

Only ever done Club Champion and I enjoyed it. I didn’t feel like they were just trying to sell me something. Especially when the only recommendations he made about irons was to reshaft what I already had.

If that is your thing, it’s your thing. I just don’t think most golfers care about all of that or think it makes much difference

I agree, but it does make a difference. It’s something that golfers should care about. They don’t have to spend a ton to care.

Curious why some are choosing CC over True Spec. CC uses Trackman while True Spec uses GC Quad, which almost everyone agrees is better indoors.

Curious why some are choosing CC over True Spec. CC uses Trackman while True Spec uses GC Quad, which almost everyone agrees is better indoors.

TrackMan is fine indoors if the fitter knows what they are doing. The importance of knowing strike location with TrackMan as well as having the silver reflective dots on the golf balls in paramount. TrackMan can give some funky numbers/shot shapes sometimes because it can read face angles etc from deflection. The setup is important, but having a fitter who understands TrackMan can be the difference maker.

It's not impossible to get a great fitting indoors with a TrackMan. GC Quad is a better indoor setup, I'm not arguing that.

I have two small issues with True Spec in my two fittings there.

1. they use a software I just don’t care for.
2. Each time they really pushed brands they own.

I forgot about your 2nd point. Aren't they owned by 8am, who owns Miura, right? Who else do they own?

TrackMan is fine indoors if the fitter knows what they are doing. The importance of knowing strike location with TrackMan as well as having the silver reflective dots on the golf balls in paramount. TrackMan can give some funky numbers/shot shapes sometimes because it can read face angles etc from deflection. The setup is important, but having a fitter who understands TrackMan can be the difference maker.

It's not impossible to get a great fitting indoors with a TrackMan. GC Quad is a better indoor setup, I'm not arguing that.
Those are valid points. Trackman is obviously a great tool, but as you pointed out it's flawed indoors. Just seems odd they would continue down that road if there is another option that's clearly better in their fitting environment.

I've personally only been to CC so I'm not sure how those points differ from CC. I want to do a loft/lie gapping session this winter and was leaning towards True Spec mainly for the GC Quad.

Those are valid points. Trackman is obviously a great tool, but as you pointed out it's flawed indoors. Just seems odd they would continue down that road if there is another option that's clearly better in their fitting environment. I've personally only been to CC so I'm not sure how those points differ from CC. I want to do a loft/lie gapping session this winter and was leaning towards True Spec mainly for the GC Quad.
CC doesn’t own brands.

Not really sure to be honest. I’ve only done CC and GG. GG is not listed which is good because it really wasn’t a fitting.

None of the above. I prefer Spargo Golf in Cranston, RI. Spargo is now owned by Jon Pannone and he and Steve are terrific fitters!

Those are valid points. Trackman is obviously a great tool, but as you pointed out it's flawed indoors. Just seems odd they would continue down that road if there is another option that's clearly better in their fitting environment. I've personally only been to CC so I'm not sure how those points differ from CC. I want to do a loft/lie gapping session this winter and was leaning towards True Spec mainly for the GC Quad.

All launch monitors have flaws. Even GC Quad has its flaws. The point I was making is that regardless if the monitor is a GC Quad or TrackMan, if the fitter is good and knows the launch monitor and data being given, you can have a great fitting. I'm sure CC has a deal with TrackMan and that's why they've chosen it.

From the list Tru Spec

but there are two other local shops that i would trust before TS

Not familiar with True Spec, but from what I personally know/have experienced at the others, I voted Club Champion.
Though I will say, who is doing the fitting is way more important than where the fitting takes place.

I have done several fittings over the past few years. My last few have been at Club Champion. Their technology and depth of equipment is really outstanding. Anything that I was curious about was found on their wall. I was very pleased with their ability to find the best combination for my swing. The fitter was excellent explaining how we was navigating to my ultimate set up. However, that does come at a high cost. The driver spec'd out at $1,200, with base stock club coming in at about $500. Someone else said that all of their technology and processes does come with a price, and I do agree with that. I just wasn't ready for that kind of a number. When I go back, I will definitely ask about pricing of components before I finish up since that's well out of my price range. I don't honestly know how much my swing benefits from a premium shaft/head combination but will one day find out.

Club Champion but primarily because it's where my previous coach went and he's phenomenal!

I know this is not in the four you mentioned but Miles of Golf in Fairfield is very good. Not sure exactly where in central Ohio you are so would be a little drive but have had great experiences with them. They never pushed just high end shaft, etc. Hit from a bay to driving range so can see ball flight.

Other. I prefer myself.. haha

true spec was voted number one by golf.com..;);)

My experience at pgass was good. I’ll go back to them again...

Back