c605090f77a9cd62acc5e7997f278fd9.jpg

Treated myself to this years Woodford Master Collection, Chocolate Malted Rye.

I am a big woodford fan. and I do like some chocolate notes, but not anything over the top. let me know how this drinks when you break the seal.

I am a big woodford fan. and I do like some chocolate notes, but not anything over the top. let me know how this drinks when you break the seal.

I popped it the other night. As far as my pallet goes, I would say that it leads with a solid and expected Woodford bourbon taste, a little more bitter than their normal stuff with a focus on the rye. Now the finish, thats where the excitement starts. It has the most amazing transition to a long dark chocolate taste. And when I say dark chocolate, mean like those 80+% dark chocolate bars you get at somewhere like Whole Foods. At first it caught me completely off guard, I wasn't expecting it to be that prominent. It actually confused me in all honesty. I knew what I was about to drink, but it still pops your mouth with full intent and surprise of the flavor. When you add water or ice though, the whole glass becomes underwhelming for me and goes completely flat. My vote, sip neat and enjoy the full flavors.

All that said, It's not something that I will drink often. I would however gladly share with anyone along with a comment of "here's something completely different, tell me what you taste" without ever showing them the bottle. I'm glad I was able to add it to my collection, not disappointed at all.

I popped it the other night. As far as my pallet goes, I would say that it leads with a solid and expected Woodford bourbon taste, a little more bitter than their normal stuff with a focus on the rye. Now the finish, thats where the excitement starts. It has the most amazing transition to a long dark chocolate taste. And when I say dark chocolate, mean like those 80+% dark chocolate bars you get at somewhere like Whole Foods. At first it caught me completely off guard, I wasn't expecting it to be that prominent. It actually confused me in all honesty. I knew what I was about to drink, but it still pops your mouth with full intent and surprise of the flavor. When you add water or ice though, the whole glass becomes underwhelming for me and goes completely flat. My vote, sip neat and enjoy the full flavors.

All that said, It's not something that I will drink often. I would however gladly share with anyone along with a comment of "here's something completely different, tell me what you taste" without ever showing them the bottle. I'm glad I was able to add it to my collection, not disappointed at all.

I only drink my whiskey neat these days, so that sounds interesting to me. i'm leaning more and more to the dark, full bodied stuff. Last night while working late at night I had a glass of Old Forester 1870 (90 proof) and 1897 (100 proof Bottled in Bond). I much preferred the 1897 for its depth and richness.

I only drink my whiskey neat these days, so that sounds interesting to me. i'm leaning more and more to the dark, full bodied stuff. Last night while working late at night I had a glass of Old Forester 1870 (90 proof) and 1897 (100 proof Bottled in Bond). I much preferred the 1897 for its depth and richness.

If you like to experiment ( I know I do) and you're looking for something outside of the norm that's in the category you just described, I highly recommend Oregon Spirit Bottled in Bond. In my area priced at about $65, its a pretty damn good off the beaten trail bourbon.

I bought a few bottles today but my hunt for Pappy continues. Thankfully I have’t had anything to celebrate but I need to have one handy when something good happens.

Not for me... Basil Haydens a good whiskey? Looking at the bourbon 8 year, or dark rye

One of these. 20191223_190610.jpg

I like it, nothing exceptional but good middle of the road bourbon you can find anywhere. actually never had their rye I don't think

Working through these. All good but nothing amazing.
20191222_170946.jpg

i do enjoy that eh taylor.

i went to the local abc store here in small town alabama hoping to find a gem or two. they had a bottle of bookers but that was about it.

Buffalo Trace
Old forester1897
Eagle rare
Laphroaig 10

Yay hotel bar.

I wish I could find Buffalo Trace for what it used to be.

Christmas Whiskey ?

AB8E7E9D-9C66-4209-A60A-D7549820F1F2.jpeg

My drink before switching to wine for dinner 20191225_185446.jpg

Trying to decide between a bottle of Blue Label or this to start my collection up with

43da20b61882ad900b9bc78e7c1eb603.jpg

Trying to decide between a bottle of Blue Label or this to start my collection up with

43da20b61882ad900b9bc78e7c1eb603.jpg

Just my opinion, but I'd go with the Blue Label. (y)

The 8 year bourbon is a great bottle and is what got me hooked on bourbon. The dark Rye has received mixed reviews. I havent been brave enough to try it
Thanks. I bought the 8 year bourbon, and my wife really likes it. She's the whiskey drinker out of the two of us but usually just sticks to the standard options. I wanted to get her something different as a stocking stuffer.

Scored a bottle of Buffalo Trace at a grocery store in Chicago while visiting my son over the holidays!

When in Park City.....
IMG_20200103_180341139.jpg

This is so damn good.

IMG_20200104_204107213.jpg

Back