Thank you for starting this thread, I'm a big bourbon drinker. I keep Coopers Mark, Bulliet and Buffalo trace on had for everyday drinking. All smooth and warm. I'm getting into the honey bourbons for casual sips with my boys. Old stand by JD will never let you down.

no problemo. I hear good things about Buffalo Trace.

Buffalo Trace is excellent for the price although it's not too hard to pick out grass as one of its predominant flavor notes. I also would have agreed with Brian T about Elijah Craig 5 years ago, but since then I've had some awful, inconsistent bottlings of it. The worst of them have had a metallic taste in the whiskey. The last bottle of it I purchased ended up going down the drain. When it's been good- absolutely good stuff.

Buffalo Trace is excellent for the price although it's not too hard to pick out grass as one of its predominant flavor notes. I also would have agreed with Brian T about Elijah Craig 5 years ago, but since then I've had some awful, inconsistent bottlings of it. The worst of them have had a metallic taste in the whiskey. The last bottle of it I purchased ended up going down the drain. When it's been good- absolutely good stuff.

I have not had that experience with them. That's unfortunate. I only found out about them this year from a liquor store in Atlanta so I have only had 4-5 bottles but have been pleased with each purchase. Hopefully they have corrected the quality control issues.

I have not had that experience with them. That's unfortunate. I only found out about them this year from a liquor store in Atlanta so I have only had 4-5 bottles but have been pleased with each purchase. Hopefully they have corrected the quality control issues.

I hope so as well. They got hammered online over this back then and developed a bit of a reputation. I just haven't had the gumption to try it again since. Maybe I'll have to pick some up again if you've gone 5 for 5!

Thank you for starting this thread, I'm a big bourbon drinker. I keep Coopers Mark, Bulliet and Buffalo trace on had for everyday drinking. All smooth and warm. I'm getting into the honey bourbons for casual sips with my boys. Old stand by JD will never let you down.

The honey JD is really good. It surprised me a lot.

I'm still a big fan of Wild Turkey Kentucky but my favorite so far has been Bookers

I love wine and beer, especially wine. I am also big on Bourbon. I am surprised that there is not a threat on it here. I love bourbon as well as other American whiskeys. I have a decent selection in my bar. I drink whiskey neat, usually in a brandy glass. Here is what I have and like:

Blantons - love it Very good
Woodford Reserve - was my go to, but I like blantons more now Nice but I prefer Makers
Bulleit Frontier Whiskey - very nice value
Basil Hayden - different but very good This is what I sip, its owned buy the Jim Beam companies
IW Harper Presidents Reserve - Bought a bottle a couple of years ago and have not found another. Outstanding. Wish I had more
Jack Daniels Single Barrel - good. I like the others more
Makers Mark - was my go to before Woodford. Have not had in years. I do want to try the 46. My favorite drinking Bourbon
Colorado Whiskey - this is a very nice whiskey. Worth a try if you can get your hands on some.

Want to try:

Pappy Van Winkle 15 year (absolutely want to try this one. Would love to try the 23 yr, but that is major $$$) This is my next purchase
Bakers - This will be my next purchase Pretty good
Makers Mark 46 - want to try Its ok, I like Basil Haydens more for a sipping bourbon
Eagle Rare - I have heard good things.

What about you guys? Any favorites or suggestions?

I'm not a bourbon fan. It doesn't cooperate with me. However, when I use to go to Louisville for business I always stayed at the Galt House. They have a bourbon bar on the top floor and their claim to fame is that they have every bourbon made in their inventory. I had a drink of the most expensive one, I wish I could remember the name but it was so smooth and delicious, not like bourbon I was use to at the time. One of my favorites is Twisted Spoke.

The Galt house, I was there last year in March for a Archery competition and brought a friend to the bourbon bar. He had never had bourbon and about $200 later he was a fan. The drunkin women from the wedding was a plus but damn the next day was rough.

Beam or Early Times most of the time.
Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark and Bookers are favs.
Templeton Rye (from the great state of Iowa) is great!

I love wine and beer, especially wine. I am also big on Bourbon. I am surprised that there is not a threat on it here. I love bourbon as well as other American whiskeys. I have a decent selection in my bar. I drink whiskey neat, usually in a brandy glass. Here is what I have and like:

Blantons - love it
Woodford Reserve - was my go to, but I like blantons more now
Bulleit Frontier Whiskey - very nice value
Basil Hayden - different but very good
IW Harper Presidents Reserve - Bought a bottle a couple of years ago and have not found another. Outstanding. Wish I had more
Jack Daniels Single Barrel - good. I like the others more
Makers Mark - was my go to before Woodford. Have not had in years. I do want to try the 46.
Colorado Whiskey - this is a very nice whiskey. Worth a try if you can get your hands on some.

Want to try:

Pappy Van Winkle 15 year (absolutely want to try this one. Would love to try the 23 yr, but that is major $$$)
Bakers - This will be my next purchase
Makers Mark 46 - want to try
Eagle Rare - I have heard good things.

What about you guys? Any favorites or suggestions?

I prefer single malted scotch but I do enjoy a GOOD bourbon !!

Blantons Single Barrel is AWESOME GOOD !! and that bottle is just the chintz !!! Love that bottle and the top on it !!

I'm like you I guess, after Blantons I like Woodford Reserve

Blantons Single Barrel is AWESOME GOOD !! and that bottle is just the chintz !!! Love that bottle and the top on it !!
I believe there are 10 or 12 different horse poses on the stoppers. Something fun to look out for when shopping.

I believe there are 10 or 12 different horse poses on the stoppers. Something fun to look out for when shopping.

Never knew that. Will look out for it.

For those of you who have mentioned Pappy: I have a simpleton's palate (Old Forester is good enough for me), but all my bourbon expert friends say the 15-yr Pappy >>>> 23-yr Pappy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

For those of you who have mentioned Pappy: I have a simpleton's palate (Old Forester is good enough for me), but all my bourbon expert friends say the 15-yr Pappy >>>> 23-yr Pappy.

PVW (any age) is darn near impossible to find, so if you see a 15 or a 23 sitting in your local store, buy it and thank your lucky stars.

I have not seen it on the shelves. I have seen it on Ebay for around $150 and that is for the 15 YO. Seller has very good ratings. I might jump on this at some point, but that is spendy.

I have not seen it on the shelves. I have seen it on Ebay for around $150 and that is for the 15 YO. Seller has very good ratings. I might jump on this at some point, but that is spendy.

I've seen that too. I notice they always put a disclaimer on Ebay alcohol sales that you are buying the bottle and not the contents. It makes me think they could fill it with colored turpentine and you're out of luck and 150 dollars. Hard to jump on that for me, plus as you mentioned you can buy 3 bottles of terrific bourbon for that much money. I have decided, however, that if I ever see PVW in the store that I will buy it on the spot.

The honey JD is really good. It surprised me a lot.

I'm still a big fan of Wild Turkey Kentucky but my favorite so far has been Bookers

Agreed on the honey JD. Didn't know what to expect from it. However, it's borderline heavenly if I stick it in the freezer. Big fan.

I've seen that too. I notice they always put a disclaimer on Ebay alcohol sales that you are buying the bottle and not the contents. It makes me think they could fill it with colored turpentine and you're out of luck and 150 dollars. Hard to jump on that for me, plus as you mentioned you can buy 3 bottles of terrific bourbon for that much money. I have decided, however, that if I ever see PVW in the store that I will buy it on the spot.

I believe they do that to get around local liquor laws and ATF regulations or something like that. Yeah, the whole idea of buying $150PB whiskey on Ebay makes me uneasy, but others have done it and have fared well.

Right now I am trying a new formula Wild Turkey 81. It's OK, mild, but with a tinny aftertaste. It won't go to waste but is unlikely to make a return appearance.

How are you drinking it? If neat, try it with just a few drops of room temp water. It can really change the character of the bourbon.

I'm simple, Jim Beam, did like my buddy's choice too, 12 yr. Old Charter

Saturday night, I got to have a few good bourbons. Started with Eagle rare, very good. 2nd was a Van Winkle ( it did not say Perry but Rip )and it was good as well. Last was Blantons, great night of bourbons.

Back