Who was the best Bond?

Craig, and this from someone who remembers going to see Dr. No back in '62. Probably because I read somewhere that Fleming said his idea of Bond was someone like Hoagy Carmichael (go figure); i.e. physically unimposing and nondescript. Craig seems to me to come closest, though of course he's pretty far from either of those.

The above said, I always had Lazenby as my second favorite, I guess I really liked "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" (I think that was the one he was in).

Connery
Brosnon

The Craig bond movies don’t feel like bond movies to me. Just action movies that used the Bond name.

I wish the scripts/plots of the Brosnon movies had been better. If he had had the Dalton movies like he should have he would be remembered more fondly.

So, he was supposed to get the Dalton movies but his Remington Steele contract would not allow him to do them. That's why the part went to Dalton.

GoldenEye is one of the better Bonds. But they went downhill quickly. No actor was going to make Die another day good.

Connery felt more like the Bond that was written by Flemming.

Craig felt perfect the time those movies were made. Much more physical than any Bond before.

It's for sure recency bias, but it's Craig for me. Likely more that that made a series of movies that worked together (mostly) to be more invested in the character vs the others being essentially one offs.

Craig
Brosnan
Connery
Lazenby
Dalton
Moore
Niven

Connery, Moore, Craig

Sean Connery and it's not even close.

Sean Connery

Daniel Craig a close second. He is helped by the fact that the more recent Bond films are better overall movies than the early ones.

My wife likes Brosnan the best as he's the "most suave and handsome" in her mind.

Connery was the original. He established the character and made Bond an icon. Craig is very close, he took the best parts of Connery’s version and brought this edgyness/intensity that no one else brought to the character. Brosnan deserves credit the Bond movies definitely lost their luster during the Moore/Dalton years. Brosnan brought the franchise back to life.

Another vote for Sean Connery.

He is also my favorite character on SNL Jeopardy 😁

Connery was elite

Another vote for Sean Connery.

He is also my favorite character on SNL Jeopardy 😁
The best celebrity Jeopardy player ever. Sorry Burt Reynolds aka Turd Ferguson

The best celebrity Jeopardy player ever. Sorry Burt Reynolds aka Turd Ferguson
That was another good one. Every winter though when I see a “Let it snow” sign I can’t help but think of the Connery episodes

That was another good one. Every winter though when I see a “Let it snow” sign I can’t help but think of the Connery episodes
Oh I make sure the window stickers spelt it at least once during the season haha

Sean Connery. From Russia With Love. Period.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Connery over Craig, with Brosnan rounding out third.

Sean Connery for me, also like the Rogee Moore ones. Probably because I grew up on those.

Apparently I need to check out more if unter Daniel Craig ones though.

When I think of Bond, the first two names that come to mind, in order:

Sean Connery
Pierce Brosnan
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Craig
Brosnan
Connery

I always thought Connery was playing Bond with a wink in his eyes while the other two were actually playing the part ... well.

Back