Who was your favorite pro athlete when you were a child?

Dale Murphy. Grew up a Braves fan before they were good. Family took me to Atlanta for my 7th birthday so I could see them play. Murphy singled to load the bases then Bob Horner hit a grand slam.

Michael Jordan and Fred Couples.

Kenny Lofton was the guy for me!

I was born in 84, so I jumped on the Michael Jordan train immediately.

Favorite obscure athlete would be Bret Saberhagen.

Griffey Jr / MJ

obscure - Rex Chapman - As a young Kentucky boy in the 80's it doesn't get any better than Rex

Neon Deon!!
Donny Baseball
Nolan Ryan
Bo
Sad to admit. But I was a huge Greg Norman fan

Ronnie Lott. Loved him.

Next favorite was Will “the Thrill” Clark. Best looking swing in baseball.

My favorite was Jerry West.

For the bonus question, more obscure athlete, I would take Ron Boone, of the old ABA franchise, the Utah Stars.

Sad to admit. But I was a huge Greg Norman fan
secret stephen colbert GIF

Gretzky even though he wasn’t playing. For some reason I also really liked Paul Gaustad

Pete Rose. Will forever say he should be in the HoF

Obscure, well maybe not that obo, but Mark Grace. Just had the prettiest swing in baseball for years.

Hulk Hogan Wrestling GIF

Yes, wrestlers are athletes.

Emmitt Smith. Was easy as a Cowboys fan but I think there is a lot more than that to it. Great guy

Björn Borg

Pretty obscure but Robby Thompson who was the second basemen for the Giants. He had a walk off RBI at my first ever game with my dad when I was very young, still remember it and he was my favorite player for years.

A little later it was Bryant Young for the 49ers. Partly because I played on the line but mostly because he was so dominant and had such an amazing attitude and approach to the sport. I’ll never forget going to training camp for the first time and watching him go run sprints on his own in brutal heat after practice. One by one some of the rookies saw it and made their way over to follow his lead.

My favorite to watch was probably Barry Sanders. was incredibly fun to watch in the 90's, even without being a Lions fan.

My favorite overall was probably Peter Forsberg, as we didn't have a hockey team and picked the Avalanche to go against my brother who decided on the Red Wings.

Boston Celtics GIF by NBA

Pete Rose. Will forever say he should be in the HoF

Obscure, well maybe not that obo, but Mark Grace. Just had the prettiest swing in baseball for years.
Everyone needed a good slump buster when they were younger.

Baseball- Ken Griffey Jr.
Basketball- Allen Iverson
Football- Barry Sanders
Golf- Phil Mickelson

Most obscure- I was out of High School, but I loved watching Jarett Dillard play WR in college. Was hoping he would make it in the pros, but unfortunately he didn't

Baseball
Frank Howard
Mike Epstein

Football
Roy Jefferson
Pat Fischer

Back