Who's going to putt with flag in ???

For my distance putting I feel like keeping the flag in has helped me. It feels like it gives me a better target to aim at and my proximity from the hole has been pretty good. I'm still unsure about 6 ft and in feels a little weird..

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Maybe with long putts only just cause the stick in on longer putts might help a guy with alignment alittle better, but no for the most part the pin will be pulled when I'm putting

Played a round with a friend who wanted to keep it in. He felt that with the flag in it stayed in his peripheral vision more, thus allowing him to think about that as his target more. made sense to me. On really short putts he liked the flag out though as it was blowing a gale and the flag was making a racket

Just saw a MyGolfSpy vid on YouTube and they did a little testing. Conclusion: leave it in.

The comments on their Instagram post about it are hilarious. Appears maybe 1 out of 10 actually read the article.

I agree. That's the only reason people would take it out. I've learned that golfers are fairly rigid people when it comes to their game. I'm probably not rigid enough.

aaahhh rigid smigid........i say get use to it, and in a short time it will be like it was always that way and do whats better for the flow of the game for everyone.

Maybe with long putts only just cause the stick in on longer putts might help a guy with alignment alittle better, but no for the most part the pin will be pulled when I'm putting

good luck disrupting the others who would rather leave it in, just putt, and not deal with it. Its so nice that everyone can just get to a green , go to thier ball, line up and putt without anyone having to concern with the pin at all. Except for those who choose to disrupt that and insist it come out and then the others who also require it out for their chipping.

Last edited:
I won't be putting with the flag in on putts inside 20 feet for a while. Outside that, I don't hit the cup enough to really matter. And solo rounds I will leave it in, especially trying to play a little faster. Completely visual and psychological. Disruption be damned.

I won't be putting with the flag in on putts inside 20 feet for a while. Outside that, I don't hit the cup enough to really matter. Completely visual and psychological. Disruption be damned.

I think that "for a while" might change. I find the flag to be a refreshing aim point that centers my brain on a specific target that is absent when it thinks generally aim at the hole.

I think that "for a while" might change. I find the flag to be a refreshing aim point that centers my brain on a specific target that is absent when it thinks generally aim at the hole.

I'm in this camp. I'm leaving it until the rule changes again...

And I do think it will.

Maybe, but I'm not going to rush it (partially because golf season is 3 months away too). I'll give it a try, like I said I do it in solo rounds when I don't really care, but it will take some major getting used to. To each their own.

Maybe, but I'm not going to rush it (partially because golf season is 3 months away too). I'll give it a try, like I said I do it in solo rounds when I don't really care, but it will take some major getting used to. To each their own.

I'm confident you will be draining birdies either way!

And I do think it will.

I plan to ask to be grandfathered in if the rule changes back. I think I've got a compelling case.

I'm confident you will be draining birdies either way!
5 footers for par are my speciality. Just bang em home up hill.

And I do think it will.

When did the rule even go into effect that it was required to pull it? Way that an original rule of golf or adopted later?

Sorry, James. Not expecting you to answer that, but your post brought that thought forward.

MGS released a story about should put with the pin in or not? Pretty interesting. If you don't have the time to read it, I will save you the trouble. They say yes.

So this is what I am going to do...

Tell my playing partner or group that I don't care. If they want it in, we keep it in. If they want it out, we keep it out. I'm not going to be that guy.

So this is what I am going to do...

Tell my playing partner or group that I don't care. If they want it in, we keep it in. If they want it out, we keep it out. I'm not going to be that guy.

fwiw there is an old saying for those who play neutral. and lol it goes like this...
"your either part of the problem or part of the solution" and if one isn't part of a solution then they can only be part of the problem.

And I do think it will.

Care to elaborate on why you think they'll change it back?

MGS released a story about should put with the pin in or not? Pretty interesting. If you don't have the time to read it, I will save you the trouble. They say yes.
Read that last night...numbers don't lie

But imo its not an "unfair advantage" because everyone can do it. I think there in lies the difference.

Everyone could belly putt too, and they took that away.

I agree, I think the rule will get changed back. The PGA doesn't like the scores getting too low.

Whiskey

And I do think it will.
Agreed. It does not seem like the USGA thought this one through much. Seems like simply a measure to speed up amateur play.

Now, with many sources showing its advantageous, I think they reel it back. Their own website suggests they thought it'd make no difference.

96eeea2256634dffb778027c23d38830.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Everyone could belly putt too, and they took that away.

I agree, I think the rule will get changed back. The PGA doesn't like the scores getting too low.

Whiskey

Naaaaaailed it.

perhaps if they see noticeable significant increase in putts made. But at their level they are usually so good at putting that I think the help of the pin will be less noticeable as the percentage increase is not all that high anyway. Theyt are sinking short and mid putts at such a good rate anyway I just don't think the results will be significantly different enough to notice any great increase. At least I wouldn't think so.

We on the other hand might see more results but even then is only on the ones that don't miss the hole completely which is what many of us doo when we don't sink one anyway. I think the people who will see most advantage are those good amateur putters who do hit the hole a lot. Poorer putters and great tour pro like putters not so much imo. But I could be wrong

Back