Why are golfers so full of it?

Evok

Don't worry, Be happy!
Reaction score
Handicap
Now I want to keep this light hearted if possible but im curious as to why it seems that more things are exaggerated in golf than any other sport I've played. Ive played a bunch of different ones throughout the years and besides a few tall tales here and there most people seem to be realistic when describing their game. I mean I haven't heard "I hit 500 home runs" or " I scored 16 goals in one game" but yet in golf there's more people that somehow defy logic and physics with their swings and scores. I know I'm not the only one who's seen it but im curious to what others think. Is it just golf and if so, why? I'll add this is absolutely not about one person in particular

Internet golfers rule!!!

Al Bundy scored 4 TDs in a game for Polk High.

Some people are insecure, so they brag/lie to make themselves feel better.

I think I heard that a time or two...lo.l An absolute legend in his own mind!

I don't think it's just golf but individual sports in general. Everyone I run with has run a sub 6 minute mile except when people are around. When I did shot put years ago, competitors were always so short of his PR. Heck, when I bowled it was amazing how many guys that averaged 200+ couldn't bowl 180 when I saw them.

Team sports keep individuals in check. Individual sports give a person a lot of leeway to exaggerate.

Hahaha im ashamed to say I had to look up who that was!

My dad has a sweatshirt that pretty much sums it up perfectly. It says, "I golf, therefore, I lie."

I mean could it be because golf is not a team sport? The attention is all on us so some feel the need to "bump up" their stats haha or are they just simply fooling themselves as well and honestly think they acquire such unrealistic feats.

I don't think it's just golf but individual sports in general. Everyone I run with has run a sub 6 minute mile except when people are around. When I did shot put years ago, competitors were always so short of his PR. Heck, when I bowled it was amazing how many guys that averaged 200+ couldn't bowl 180 when I saw them.

Team sports keep individuals in check. Individual sports give a person a lot of leeway to exaggerate.
You hit on exactly what I was thinking with the individual vs team aspect. I have indeed heard quite a few bowlers with a million 300 games but cant put together 3 games over 160 haha

I golf in a legue with a bunch of 300 yard drivers yet I've never seen one of them hit it over 225

I golf in a legue with a bunch of 300 yard drivers yet I've never seen one of them hit it over 225
were they specific when talking about their drive on a real course or their Golden Tee Drive?

#OutingApproved

I think golfers genuinely have no idea how far 300 yards is. There's a reason everyone goes crazy when Rory drives it with 300 yard carry...its not normal.

At the 19th hole if you eavesdrop on other tables it seems everybody had at least one 300 yard drive per round.

I can honestly say I have never pumped one out there 300 yards. Damn blade of grass stopped it at 299! lol

I think golfers genuinely have no idea how far 300 yards is. There's a reason everyone goes crazy when Rory drives it with 300 yard carry...its not normal.

At the 19th hole if you eavesdrop on other tables it seems everybody had at least one 300 yard drive per round.

in all the years I've played I've only played with one person that was consistently over 300. He was a freak. Most golfers I play with drive the ball between 180 and 250 and shoot in the 90s to 105 but if you looked at their score card they shot in the 80s.

I'm terrible and I'll tell you all about it.

I think alot of people aren't intentionally lying. They simply don't know how far they hit it.

I think alot of people aren't intentionally lying. They simply don't know how far they hit it.
I'd like to believe this and I think some of it is contributed to this but I think most just flat out lie.it's the internet.

Obviously, the OP hasn't spoken with many anglers.

Back