Why Are Iron Covers Polarizing

You're really not gonna like my golf bag.

I already know you are a hipster....And this will be the last round with the clubs in there.
Here is what I envision. You using a Sunday bag, and riding this, because a regular bag and a cart is too “normal”

I don't use them day to day, but I will use some when I travel in May.

I would never have them on while playing, but I have thought about grabbing some just for travel. My 9-iron took a hit on the last flight. I don't mind scars, but I want to be the one making them.

I'm scarred from working in a bag room and having to remove the hard plastic iron covers in order to clean the clubs. Absurdly annoying and inconvenient for someone making $5 an hour.
Where you expecting a living wage just to clean clubs? Did they ever tip?

I'm scarred from working in a bag room and having to remove the hard plastic iron covers in order to clean the clubs. Absurdly annoying and inconvenient for someone making $5 an hour.

This.

My hate surrounds cleaning clubs in a backshop and generally the people who I associate with iron covers because of it, basically every old Dr. who never wanted to tip, but wanted his clubs to look new after every round.

Yes, that is my stereotype and not fact.

I use them because I don't care for the bag chatter, I want to keep my irons as good looking as long as possible. Some irons do have some pretty different sounds when clanging together.
To each there own.

I think I know what is really going on. The shoes. Milk. The iron covers. This distracts your opponent. Smart competitive move! :D

I like the look of my irons in my bag. No way would I want to cover that up.:cool::cool::cool:

This.

My hate surrounds cleaning clubs in a backshop and generally the people who I associate with iron covers because of it, basically every old Dr. who never wanted to tip, but wanted his clubs to look new after every round.

Yes, that is my stereotype and not fact.

One such member at the club I worked at had iron covers and a bad habit of not tipping/treating us like trash. It's amazing what a few swipes of a pipe cutter just along the grip line can do in terms of retribution.

I don't care for them. I don't fault anyone for using them though. It's one of those things that just screams "I am new to golf and just bought one of every item in WalMart's golf section." I know it's a baseless stereotype. But, I just envision this being in one of the pockets of a bag that I see iron covers on.

1582225934658.png

Why stop with Iron Covers?

61p8Yeo48yL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Walking, I don't see a need, but riding in a cart, the chattering is terrible. But, I stopped using them because I kept losing them. Those plether covers lost stitching, then came loose. More annoying than the chatter.

I already know you are a hipster....And this will be the last round with the clubs in there.
Here is what I envision. You using a Sunday bag, and riding this, because a regular bag and a cart is too “normal”

Please don't throw my bag in the ocean.

They're not polarizing, they're sexy!

I don't use them, but I do find it interesting that we cover our drivers, FWs, hybrids and putters (some religiously - I replace each cover after each shot), yet scoff and covering our irons.

It's whatever. The shiny excuse goes out the door because I take care of my clubs without iron covers and they still look great to me. And for those who have very shiny clubs it doesn't affect those looks at all.

Your golf clubs, do what you please...They just look lame. We have enough headcovers between Driver/Woods/Hybrids/Putter. Overkill on the irons and wedges.

I don't use them, but I do find it interesting that we cover our drivers, FWs, hybrids and putters (some religiously - I replace each cover after each shot), yet scoff and covering our irons.
Drivers, FW, hybrids and putters can be easily damaged or scratched that can either effect play or so distracting like a chip on a driver head so I get that. Irons on the other hand get more beat up by ground impact than bag chatter.

One such member at the club I worked at had iron covers and a bad habit of not tipping/treating us like trash. It's amazing what a few swipes of a pipe cutter just along the grip line can do in terms of retribution.

We had several with iron covers like that. All over the age of 70. All insisting they be referred to as Dr.

or when they finally did tip, it would be the end of the year and be a buck or two. Was hilarious really.

Really I don't care what other folks do with their clubs... Want to put socks on em? Go for it! Iron covers? Go for it-- nothing? Go for it.

As other's have said, as long as it doesn't slow things down too much it makes no never minds to me.

i was unaware that covers are a polarizing issue. use 'em or don't. And maybe if you have a issue with the use or non use of them you should consider lightening up!

I use them because I don't care for the bag chatter, I want to keep my irons as good looking as long as possible. Some irons do have some pretty different sounds when clanging together.
To each there own.

I haven't gotten any yet but I plan to...for that reason alone.

I don't understand why these are shunned the way they are. I use an easy to remove (but quality) iron headcovers for a few reasons. I hate bag chatter for one. But two, I hate all the dents and dings that is caused by bag chatter.

I gamed a set of Callaway forged irons from 2007 to 2016 that aside from the face and sole, looked as new as the day I bought them. They traveled the world with me and easily surpassed 300 rounds (probably closer to 500 rounds). My JPX-900 Tour Forged irons now are the same, zero dents/dings anywhere not impacted by the ground or ball. Original paint fill and all still there.

People put a head cover on their driver, FW woods, hybrids, and even putter, but say 'screw that' to the irons??? Why??

If you're spending $$$ on clubs, why not take care of them??!!

I don't run in private club circles, don't desire to, and it is among the least of my worries that I will be lobbied to/want to join one. I have been a guest exactly three times, and two of those times, both at the same club, I found certain members went out of their way - literally, in the correct usage of that word - to be rude. Some others there, and everyone at the other club, were very welcoming and friendly. People are people.

However, had the staff offered to clean my clubs after a round (if they did, I think I thanked them but declined) I would have removed the iron covers for them because I knew I was making more work for them that they did not need.

I stand by some revised and extended remarks I made about 14-way dividers:

I like the 14 way bag using iron covers because I think it results in less managed properly it has no effect on time spent managing clubs, and more time annoying better players in my group.

I understand it rubs some the wrong way, but I don't understand the projected anger that goes beyond humor over this. It's not a good look in much the same way you may think club covers aren't a good look. I mean, it bothers me a lot that my wife needs to rinse every speck of food off every plate, glass, cup, and utensil before "cleaning" them in the dishwasher, but I'm not going to demand we use disposable stuff because of it.

That said, in the grand scheme of things, iron covers will not even be a footnote in the most exhaustive history of the game. I've never seen it in an obit. And if the worst thing that happened to you today was that you were paired with some schlep who sported iron covers, you had a better day than at least 99% of the citizens of the world.

P.S. - I never used a pocket protector. They're just stoopid.

Back