Why do You Beat Up Your Putter so Horribly?

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
I often find myself perusing the pre-owned putter section of golf shops hoping for a diamond in the rough, or at least a new project stick, and time after time, I find myself sickened by the amount of abuse these poor putters have endured.

So many nicks and dents, dinged top lines, and smashed edges. If golf clubs were a movie, the putter section would be the torture genre.

Why do you do it?

I'm sure everyone here will chime in and say "oh, I baby my putter, I always wipe it down and use a head cover," but the proof is in the pudding. You don't. Are the few of us who do actually care about our equipment in the tiniest of minorities?

Someone talk me out of my traumatic state.

Last edited:
hmmmm. Guess that’s why they got rid of them? I don’t know because I baby mine.

I don't but it beats me up quite often!

Hmmm, I know it is almost like kissing your sister to most of the cool kids here on the forum but why is wrong to protect your irons also? (yes I mean iron covers).

I don’t get it either! I view my gear as an investment so I take good care of my clubs. But there are plenty of people that never use a headcover and truly believe their clubs are “tools not jewels“.

I could show you pictures of the putters I have and they are in excellent condition. I take really good care of all my equipment. I've always been like that.

I have seen quite a few at the used section that give me pause. Maybe us here on THP are the few who don’t beat them up, but I agree with you that some folks look like they drag it on the cart path while in the cart...it would drive me nuts.

Up until last year, I didn’t know putter covers existed. That said, I still own the putter I had when I was 13.
Now that I know about them, I’m very careful.

I am a bit obsessed with keeping my equipment in tip top shape. Don't know why anyone would treat their equipment with anything but care.

I wish I had a "used section" nearby to look through.

Most of the the damage a putter incurs is caused by the other clubs banging against it the bag. I mean where else is the damage going to come from? Certainly not from the ball. My putter is definately not my first choice to hit a ball off of gravel.

As we walk, trolley, or ride, the irons next to the putter will continually bang into it. I have seen people slam their putter back into their bag, bouncing it off other clubs. Then at the end of the round, some of us are not to gentle with our bag of clubs, when depositing them in the trunk, or back seat.

I don't use head covers for my irons, but I do keep my putter protected with a cover. I see a lot of unprotected putters in other people's bags.

Now my current putter is made of some sort of really tough metal. All the edges are sharp to the touch. I keep a cover on it to protect my near by wedges from getting damaged by it.

I don’t know. But every nick I get on my putter will be lovingly cherished and it will tickle me that it stresses out @Space Bandito ?

I try not to ding my putter but it happens.
The used section is sometimes a disappointment but the great thing is you don’t have to buy it.

You can tell a LOT about a person based on the condition of their putters.

I won't disappoint you then because mine are always in pristine shape. It is also the same way with my irons, ya I'm that guy who uses iron covers unless they are being photographed.

I often find myself perusing the pre-owned putter section of golf shops hoping for a diamond in the rough, or at least a new project stick, and time after time, I find myself sickened by the amount of abuse these poor putters had endured.

So many nicks and dents, dinged top lines, and smashed edges. If golf clubs were a movie, the putter section would be the torture genre.

Why do you do it?

I'm sure everyone here will chime in and say "oh, I baby my putter, I always wipe it down and use a head cover," but the proof is in the pudding. You don't. Are the few of us who do actually care about our equipment in the tiniest of minorities?

I'd say yes.

Mine has some scratches and dents. Not sure how it happens though. Just through use I guess. I always cover it after putting

I bet I do more damage to my putters in rubbing them down with towels/thumb/palm than I would ever tolerate by not covering it or leaving it exposed or taking it to the green with another club, but no putter cover.

I go as far as to wipe down the balls that pick up a bit of sand in the morning dew before every stroke ahead of my early rounds.

Personally? I am a freak about it.

I've legit always babied my putters and have never understood why someone would beat it up. It's a surgical instrument that should be taken care of!

Always cover my putter. Still looks brand new. I don't understand why you would abuse them - but go into any 2nsd Swing or the used section of Golf Galaxy & it looks like a lot of them were used in a gang turf war.

That's why I just bought a putter cover... it was getting dinged up riding with my wedges. They're a salty bunch and tend to take advantage of clubs riding with them. I moved it recently to a slighty higher class neighborhood and told it to ride with my driver. It's a low key, easy going kind of club and won't cause problems. It keeps to itself mostly.

Since I've gotten a cover for my putter, I put it back with my wedges. They were happy to have the company but aren't sure about the new putter cover. I told them to be nice or they'd be getting covers too. Since then, I've heard nothing from them. Best behavior now.

I often find myself perusing the pre-owned putter section of golf shops hoping for a diamond in the rough, or at least a new project stick, and time after time, I find myself sickened by the amount of abuse these poor putters have endured.

Why do you do it?

The traumatic one we talked about should be at my home tomorrow, SB. I'll be in touch sometime after that. (y)

After reading these posts I'm finding myself feeling real guilty. My putter will find itself getting a whole new set of tender loving care come the warm months. o_O

Back