Why Oh Why Does Your Swing Leave You

Acuna

Reaction score
Handicap
long irons
I've just been feeling frustrated with my game for the last week. I dusted off the clubs about a month ago after a couple months of serious fishing and was hitting the ball GREAT within a couple of days. Tempo, contact, etc. was great. I even went to check in with my swing coach to make sure I was on the right path and he said everything is looking good. For a little over two weeks I was feeling like I was ready to take my game to the next level. However, about 10 days ago my swing really got off kilter. For some reason I have started trying to take the club too far back and I keep trying to help the ball with my legs instead of using my legs to create a solid base .... Even my wedge play has been suffering and I do that nearly every dang day. I just want to go back to the good ol' days....

How do you get your swing back and how do you deal with the mental issues that pop up when your swing is not at its best?

I dont really get the mental issues, personally. I look at every shot as independent and always remember that if I hit every shot extremely well, I would be playing for a living. I play for fun and if I am playing poorly, I look around and realize that I am playing golf. Its a game. And then concentrate and remember to stop thinking so much and have some fun swinging.

All good points, JB.

I hate to say it but I am very, very competitive. I won't ever not enjoy myself or get pissy or anything like that; it is more of me setting a very high standard for myself and trying my best to adhere to that standard. The nature of golf being difficult to master is probably why golf appeals to me. I am just bound and determined to get better at this game. I also enjoy it immensely when I hit an iron shot and that ball goes flying straight or with a baby draw. Being able to do that more consistently would make me much happier.

It is infuriating, but when you think about the fractions that are involved between a good strike and a poor one, it's understandable unless you have the time and commitment to hit hundreds of balls each week I guess.

Just look at it as a challenge knowing that you will probably go through it again and try to remember how you got your swing back this time so maybe the next time it won't take as long or be as frustrating. Learning can be very fun, sometimes we learn more about ourselves than our swings and more self awareness is always a good thing. Everything happens for a reason and just enjoy the journey.

I'm not so sure the swing goes as much as the mind fills with clutter, when things are going good and I'm relaxed I'm swinging very well but when life is throwing curve balls and there's stress it transfers into the grip and tempo which causes all kinds of ugliness. Try and find some calm or clear your head, that may help some, I do understand what you're saying though.

I wish I knew the answer to this question. Over 20 years playing this game and still cant answer that one. Perhaps the better question to ask would be to say- do we really own it in the first place? You cant loose something you never owned. All we can do is try to hold on to it. Golf is not easy.

Driver works great one round and even several and then bam! cant hit the side of a barn the next few. Irons work but then cant chip. Drive and chip well but then the irons go bye bye. Do it all good but then cant putt. If it all was so easy and all at the same time we would be on TV.

I've just been feeling frustrated with my game for the last week. I dusted off the clubs about a month ago after a couple months of serious fishing and was hitting the ball GREAT within a couple of days. Tempo, contact, etc. was great. I even went to check in with my swing coach to make sure I was on the right path and he said everything is looking good. For a little over two weeks I was feeling like I was ready to take my game to the next level. However, about 10 days ago my swing really got off kilter. For some reason I have started trying to take the club too far back and I keep trying to help the ball with my legs instead of using my legs to create a solid base .... Even my wedge play has been suffering and I do that nearly every dang day. I just want to go back to the good ol' days....

How do you get your swing back and how do you deal with the mental issues that pop up when your swing is not at its best?

Every time things really fall apart for me, I fall back on my PGA Pro. It takes only a couple of swings most of the time for him to see where I've gotten off track. I never go it alone if it is really bad. Golf has always been day to day for me. I found out twenty five years ago that it is not going to be great everyday. Even the pro's have their off days.

I've struggled with this as well, and usually, it requires a total mental reset. One of the reasons some of us can play so well with a long layoff is that all the thoughts that cloud us up mentally aren't there. No shanked shots, slices into hazards, thinned chips, etc. Our minds are free. Once that negative energy creeps in, it tenses up our muscles and restricts their loose, free, and easy movement.

My solution was to find that mental reset. Sing a song, jump up and down, think of a funny joke, think back to a great shot you hit, whatever you need to loosen the tension and free your subconscious. That sucker is an SOB.

It is infuriating, but when you think about the fractions that are involved between a good strike and a poor one, it's understandable unless you have the time and commitment to hit hundreds of balls each week I guess.

And don't forget money too.

All good points, JB.

I hate to say it but I am very, very competitive. I won't ever not enjoy myself or get pissy or anything like that; it is more of me setting a very high standard for myself and trying my best to adhere to that standard. The nature of golf being difficult to master is probably why golf appeals to me. I am just bound and determined to get better at this game. I also enjoy it immensely when I hit an iron shot and that ball goes flying straight or with a baby draw. Being able to do that more consistently would make me much happier.

over 20 years. Although many years was only just a very few rounds but none the less its been a long time. and besides the occasional round in the 80's with a best of 84 I still shoot basically 90 to over 100. And this is with a couple lessons last year and several this year and a ton of good (with purpose) range time, hard work, money, and efforts. I don't know how long you been golfing or what you put in to it. But if your even playing this game half as long as me or putting half the efforts I been and can match, beat, or be close to my scores then I hope it puts thing in perspective because from where I sit and vs most people who ever take up this game you are one of the lucky ones. As bad as I may be vs many here on THP I know that scoring in the 80's at my local courses even if its only a couple times a season is better than most people will ever see.

Yea it does suck for me. Sucks and smells like a rotten piece of rancid meat at times and even feels unfair at times that there are many who can put in much less than me and be much better than me. But I also know for everyone that can do that there is another who may put in more than me and still never see an 84 or even a 90 for that matter. But bottom line is I "try" not think about that because I am what and who I am. All I can do is try and also try to have fun. Once its no longer fun then it no longer pays to do it. I mean that literally it then is not worth the sacrifice of time, money or efforts imo. if it ever got to that point then I would no longer play.

I had a situation like this not to long ago. I was hitting range balls at a new range in town. There mats are new, but not great mats. I $hanked about 5 shots, seriously. I was pretty upset with myself to say the least. I ran out of balls and didn't have cash to get some more. So I had to leave with the feeling that my swing was all jacked up. It wasn't fun. So I let a few days go by, thought about it some, and decided to go to an all grass driving range near work. So over lunch I did just that, and even though I hit a few heavy, I never $hanked one. So, my mind was at easy and now I'm not sure I want to go to the other range ever again, mostly due to the bad mats.
While my swing is no where near "PGA" level, I have a bit of a higher expectation than most due to past ability levels. When my swings off, I usually chalk it up to not enough practice. While during my times when my swing is on, then I have to tell me self to play my miss for the day with emphasis to my usual swing. Meaning, we all have a typical shot we hit based on our swing. I usually am pretty straight, but my miss is usually a small fade or push to the right. Usually on the range, I know what I'm going to be doing that day and I play to that miss until my shots tell me otherwise.
JB said a really wise thing though, if we were good enough to make a living at this, we would be. I know I'm not. Not even at my best/lowest Handicap ever, was I good enough. It's all about having fun and hitting some good golf shots for me know. When I have a good day, I have to remind myself of that, since a bad shot my sneak in and I'll have a Tiger moment, it's not worth it. It's just a game, have fun and remember that.

And don't forget money too.

over 20 years. Although many years was only just a very few rounds but none the less its been a long time. and besides the occasional round in the 80's with a best of 84 I still shoot basically 90 to over 100. And this is with a couple lessons last year and several this year and a ton of good (with purpose) range time, hard work, money, and efforts. I don't know how long you been golfing or what you put in to it. But if your even playing this game half as long as me or putting half the efforts I been and can match, beat, or be close to my scores then I hope it puts thing in perspective because from where I sit and vs most people who ever take up this game you are one of the lucky ones. As bad as I may be vs many here on THP I know that scoring in the 80's at my local courses even if its only a couple times a season is better than most people will ever see.

Yea it does suck for me. Sucks and smells like a rotten piece of rancid meat at times and even feels unfair at times that there are many who can put in much less than me and be much better than me. But I also know for everyone that can do that there is another who may put in more than me and still never see an 84 or even a 90 for that matter. But bottom line is I "try" not think about that because I am what and who I am. All I can do is try and also try to have fun. Once its no longer fun then it no longer pays to do it. I mean that literally it then is not worth the sacrifice of time, money or efforts imo. if it ever got to that point then I would no longer play.

Puts things in perspective.

I took up the game last year at the age of 35. So this is my second year golfing. I didn't pick up the clubs really at all from November through February due to cold weather, work, and family obligations. I am in a pretty good spot insofar as I live on the course and am less than five minutes from the clubhouse and range. My membership includes unlimited rounds and unlimited range balls, so the money aspect is fixed for me. I try to practice or play as much as I can.

Here is my current training/playing schedule:

Monday, the club is closed. I will hit wedges behind my house (trying to land the ball on the tee box from 5-50 yards out) during lunch and after dinner.

Tuesday I go to the range on my way home for lunch to hit iron shots. I then hit wedges after dinner and putt on a mat after putting the kids to bed.

Wednesday I play nine holes before work. I will putt at night after putting the kids to bed.

Thursday I putt before work and then hit some wedges on the range on my way home.

Friday I play nine holes before work. I also usually end up playing a few holes after work with some of the neighbors, either a 7 iron challenge or with a full bag. The course layout makes it really easy for us to play three holes and basically end up where we start (right behind my house).

Saturday, I work on wedges and try to sneak off to the range. Very brief and unstructured practice.

Sunday, I try try try to get a hall pass of 18 holes. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If not I will get some golf in at the end of the day after most of the groups play through.

On top of all this I also spend about an hour exercising on Tuesday, Thursday, and either Saturday or Sunday (running and weights). The non-workout days have about 30 minutes of stretching and light aerobic exercise.

I guess what I am getting at is that I am really trying to get "good" at this game. I feel like I can get there if I put in the work. I have never been willing to accept mediocrity from me, at least not without an honest effort. I refuse to "mail it in", and instead will just double down to get to a level of play that satisfies me. And I don't mean to sound all down at all! I truly enjoy the process and challenge and I know I will get there. I was just having one of those frustrating moments when I wrote the initial post having realized how fleeting success can be with golf. It's a helluva game, and a lot of fun too.

My only regret is that I didn't start playing about 25 years ago.

Puts things in perspective.

I took up the game last year at the age of 35. So this is my second year golfing. I didn't pick up the clubs really at all from November through February due to cold weather, work, and family obligations. I am in a pretty good spot insofar as I live on the course and am less than five minutes from the clubhouse and range. My membership includes unlimited rounds and unlimited range balls, so the money aspect is fixed for me. I try to practice or play as much as I can.

Here is my current training/playing schedule:

Monday, the club is closed. I will hit wedges behind my house (trying to land the ball on the tee box from 5-50 yards out) during lunch and after dinner.

Tuesday I go to the range on my way home for lunch to hit iron shots. I then hit wedges after dinner and putt on a mat after putting the kids to bed.

Wednesday I play nine holes before work. I will putt at night after putting the kids to bed.

Thursday I putt before work and then hit some wedges on the range on my way home.

Friday I play nine holes before work. I also usually end up playing a few holes after work with some of the neighbors, either a 7 iron challenge or with a full bag. The course layout makes it really easy for us to play three holes and basically end up where we start (right behind my house).

Saturday, I work on wedges and try to sneak off to the range. Very brief and unstructured practice.

Sunday, I try try try to get a hall pass of 18 holes. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If not I will get some golf in at the end of the day after most of the groups play through.

On top of all this I also spend about an hour exercising on Tuesday, Thursday, and either Saturday or Sunday (running and weights). The non-workout days have about 30 minutes of stretching and light aerobic exercise.

I guess what I am getting at is that I am really trying to get "good" at this game. I feel like I can get there if I put in the work. I have never been willing to accept mediocrity from me, at least not without an honest effort. I refuse to "mail it in", and instead will just double down to get to a level of play that satisfies me. And I don't mean to sound all down at all! I truly enjoy the process and challenge and I know I will get there. I was just having one of those frustrating moments when I wrote the initial post having realized how fleeting success can be with golf. It's a helluva game, and a lot of fun too.

My only regret is that I didn't start playing about 25 years ago.

Well, let me ask. When do you go to the bathroom. Perhaps you wear diapers just to save time :D

That's a ton of effort there and lucky you are fortunate enough to put it in. Even better that you have the desire to put that much in. Lessons should also do a lot for you if your willing to go that route too.

And as for getting better and more consistent every one is so very different. We all advance differently. For some its harder and some its easier. And it certainly can be frustrating at times. I really hope your great efforts bring you the rewards to where you want to be. All we can do is try and keep tyring.

I'm not so sure the swing goes as much as the mind fills with clutter, when things are going good and I'm relaxed I'm swinging very well but when life is throwing curve balls and there's stress it transfers into the grip and tempo which causes all kinds of ugliness. Try and find some calm or clear your head, that may help some, I do understand what you're saying though.

This is my thought on why a golf swing can disappear so quickly ^^^^^^^^^

If you hit a poor shot and you dwell on it for just a little bit, it can grow into something much larger than it should be. You lose focus, your muscles tense up and I bet even your jaw even tenses up like a mule stuck on a mega size ear of corn. I think all of us would enjoy and play better golf, if we could let loose and enjoy the "game" as JB said. Life is short and we put so much emphasis on a game that is better played when we are relaxed.

Well, my swing was not half bad this morning. I played a quick nine before work. Ended up shooting 48, and that included a 9 on a par 5 (OB, sand, 3 #()%&@ putt), which is pretty good for me. Got two pars, which is nice.

Discovered that I can still score just fine with a 75-80% swing. I don't need to try to hit my 9i 150 yards. Got my yardages dialed in with my simple controlled swing and this is what I am doing:

With a 75% swing, here is what I figured out:

Driver: 225-240+
3W: 190 to 220 yards
3H: is my 180 to 190 yard club
4H: is my 170 to 180 yard club
5 iron is my 165 to 175 yard club
6 iron is my 155 to 165 yard club
7 iron is my 145-155 yard club
8 iron in my 130-145 yard club
9 iron is my 115-125 yard club
PW is my 100-110 yard club
AW is my 80-90 yard club