Why would anyone pay full retail for Callaway clubs....

For some, it's about having new gear as soon as it comes off the assembly line. For others, they like to have a fitting so they know they have the right head/shaft combination, and as with irons also insuring the length and lie are appropriate for them.

I've bought Callaway product new and I have bought Callaway product through CPO. It just depends on what I perceive my game needs at the time. If I develop an issue, for example hitting fairway woods, I want to move forward in technology. If the timing of my need is such and the club I want is on CPO in the configuration and condition I want then I'll go the CPO route. If I am going to replace something in my bag and it is early in the release cycle for the club I want then I go retail. However, I don't know about others but the final net cost of a new club is rarely full retail as I always seem to have clubs laying around for sale or trade-in to bring the price down.

Question from OP. Why would anyone order anything in the rogue line now at full retail, either from a store or online? Assuming it’s a driver, fairway wood or hybrid, and they have the shaft you want in new condition on CPO? As far as irons, you can even get lofts, lies and grips changed,while getting a new product in its original box. I can’t imagine retailers being pleased as more people are made aware of this situation.
I am not an early adopter. I do not buy new, I wait the 6 months. I like saving the money more than I like having shiny and brand new. But I don't begrudge others who are on the opposite side of the issue.

Callaway is doing a fabulous job providing a service / product to us cheaper-skates. I applaud them for their CPO efforts.

How many OEM's have a dedicated pre-owned site that they run? Honestly have no clue other than Callaway.

How many OEM's have a dedicated pre-owned site that they run? Honestly have no clue other than Callaway.

TaylorMade does. They have their current lineup available on it.

TaylorMade does. They have their current lineup available on it.

So basically the question being posed here is why would someone buy a brand new car when they could buy the same car 6 months later used?

So basically the question being posed here is why would someone buy a brand new car when they could buy the same car 6 months later used?

Maybe? Im not sure. I think every brand has their sales. For instance Pro V1 golf balls once or twice every single year have the buy 2 or 3 and get 1 free. Why would anybody buy golf balls at any other time, right? Cobra reduced their prices on their current lineup last month. TaylorMade and Callaway have reduced prices on their preowned sites. Every brand has promotion over the course of the year and its up to the shoppers to decide what makes the most sense for them.

It was mentioned by the OP that this was Callaway specific, but fortunately for golfers, its all brands (and honestly every consumer good category).

Did I miss you saying that every person you've played with has a Rogue? Because I was definitely not saying that, but I have seen way more M3/M4. I would say if I went by newer drivers in playing partners bags it would go G400 line and then M3/M4. Ron was the first person I've played with this year that had one in the bag and that was earlier this month.

This is what I’ve seen too. I didn’t see many epics either

Question from OP. Why would anyone order anything in the rogue line now at full retail, either from a store or online? Assuming it’s a driver, fairway wood or hybrid, and they have the shaft you want in new condition on CPO? As far as irons, you can even get lofts, lies and grips changed,while getting a new product in its original box. I can’t imagine retailers being pleased as more people are made aware of this situation.

Isn't this one of the solutions Callaway uses to prevent the issue TM had back when where you'd see 3 different releases on the shelves? They provide a way for retailers to get rid of equipment that hasn't sold, I believe. If that is indeed the case, it's not as retailer-antagonistic as you're making it out to be.

It's great for consumers to have options at different price points all year 'round. It's no different than cell phones (truly great comparison) or vehicles or other consumer electronics. I'll slowly back away from the massive assumptions and misconceptions here.

I absolutely love CPO and appreciate the wonderful opportunity to buy these clubs at a discount, as I have 2 teenage girls who are on a dance team (anyone with children on a traveling sports team know)! I don’t know the point of the OP but please don’t throw shade on this hookup! As stated previously, some people want the shiny new bells, some people want the deals! More power to all!!

Back in February, with reviews of “redacted” Rogue clubs posted in every category, I caught some minor pushback for saying I thought the Rogue lineup was a blah release. I also said I’d wait 6 months, given the current Callaway business model for it all to go on CPO, then possibly see about a 3 wood. Well,here we are, and right on schedule, the entire lineup is on Preowned. This has been going on for a few years now, and if I realize how this goes, I’m sure I’m not the only one. I look forward every year to the Grand Daddy guys giving glowing reviews, then sort the wheat from the shaft. This year it was the fairways, last year the Epic driver, the year before the Apex CF-16 irons. I have, or will buy Callaway products, but always 6 months after release brand new, at a large discount. It makes me wonder why anyone would pay full price for any Callaway club(s).

Having the latest and greatest appeals to a lot of people. Hell, PXG Gen1 are available for 175 an iron right now which is peanuts compared to the gen2 stuff.

The other point is, if a club changes your game for you, would you wait a season to use it? We spend 20 bucks on a cart however many times a year. We buy balls like it's no big deal. We buy beers and meals after the round like it's no big deal.... The savings on a set of clubs is a drop in the hat, at the end of the day.

Patience is a virtue, no doubt about it... but it sucks.

That’s because the M series is still on the shelf in the wrapper while the rogue is actually being bought, tested, played and either returned or kept in the bag. Sunday was the first person I’ve played with since the M3/4 were released that actually had one in the bag.

I think this sample is a little imperfect.

Rogue is a step forward from Epic. It's hard to argue that. I'd be gaming one if I didn't pull the ever living hell out of 80% of my swings with it. M series though? They killed the sound. What sounds like a rocket off my M1 from 2017 sounds like a bean bag off the M3. For the slight bump in ball speed with twist face, it's not worth the sound drop.

It's gotta be more than just cycle to cycle.

I am planning on picking up a Rogue Driver this winter. That will save me a lot of money. I don't think the M series has enough spin for me. I'm old. LOL.

I bought my clubs because they were BETTER and there was 50% trade-in bonus so it was a great value to purchase new clubs. Absolute best of both worlds. New and good value. WIN

some people simply have the financial freedom to by at top retail and don't really care nor have a need to wait. Some people simply want the newest thing regardless of their financial setting. Some people are caught up in their own materialistic ways. Some people feel better having paid top dollar for things. Some people just need a club or set and simply buy it as a need where he price just is what it is and with no real feelings about any of the above except that they got what they needed and wanted.

Conversely, others don't have the financial means and have no choice but to wait. Some are penny pinchers and at all costs refuse to pay top dollar for anything even if they have the financial means. Similar to the purchasing ego of materialistic people, some get that same rise to their ego buy having never paid top dollar for a thing.

Money and property can do strange and all kinds of things to people. I find it very funny as for the people who have something yet wouldn't pay the same price they feel they can sell that something for. You see....Its not worth that much (and justifiably so in their minds reasons) when they look to buy it but yet (justifiably so in their minds reasons) its somehow gone way up in worth when they own and/or want to sell that same thing.

After hitting Frank's Rogue last weekend I really wish I had bought it when it came out. I missed out on months of playing a better driver and considering that has been one of my issues I could have been shooting lower scores.

Time is certainly a component, I completely agree. I got fitted for the Rogue this summer but due to the custom shaft and high cost I thought about saving the specs and ordering later around christmas, but it dawned on me that I would lose 4/5 months of this driver and I'm glad I pulled the trigger. I am hitting way, way more fairways.

Got to love having a choice. Should I buy now or should I wait?

I'm pretty happy that I can make my own decisions as to what to buy, when to buy it and where to buy it from.

So, should the word(s) of the day be "choice" or "personal preference?"

Curious why some are saying they would lose time with a club if they bought it later. Unless you are buying the new release as soon as it comes out everytime then it’s going to be in the bag for you the following season as well.

If it far and above outperforms your current club then losing time makes sense.

The thing I keep thinking is how long would a manufacturer be able to stay afloat if no-one bought new and just waited for discounts / second hand availability?

There has to be new stuff at some point for it to eventually become older stuff.

I bought my clubs because they were BETTER and there was 50% trade-in bonus so it was a great value to purchase new clubs. Absolute best of both worlds. New and good value. WIN

I was going to add this point too. I waited for the Epic fairways to hit CPO, but not the driver. When the Rogues fairways were released this spring I took advantage of the trade-in bonus, and, how it worked out, I ended up getting as much or more credit for the trade-in Epics than I paid for them originally. I LOVE the options Callaway gives me as a consumer.

Curious why some are saying they would lose time with a club if they bought it later. Unless you are buying the new release as soon as it comes out everytime then it’s going to be in the bag for you the following season as well.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but a good example for me would be my G400 Max driver. When I got fit for it, I was driving it better than any driver I've ever used. The trade off would be, "Do I want to play better golf this season" or "Do I want to save $100 and play better golf in 2019"?

I had the $100, and wanted to play better golf now, so I bought it immediately. My scoring average has come down 3 strokes since I put it in the bag, and I've had a lot more fun playing golf this season. Life is short...

Life is short. New and shiny clubs are cool. Immediate gratification isn't just a millennial thing.

I interpret the "lost time" as the difference between when one determines the club is the next to buy and when it is actually bought and in the bag. The geographic aspect of this is something that cannot be unaccounted for as well. I'm not picking a club in March only to wait until August to actually buy it when the golf season has 6 good weeks left. Consumer psychology says that when people are ready to buy, a vast majority of the time they purchase it rather quickly.

People switch clubs for any number of reasons, so the "far and above outperforms" aspect is next to null in my book when looking into any of this.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but a good example for me would be my G400 Max driver. When I got fit for it, I was driving it better than any driver I've ever used. The trade off would be, "Do I want to play better golf this season" or "Do I want to save $100 and play better golf in 2019"?

I had the $100, and wanted to play better golf now, so I bought it immediately. My scoring average has come down 3 strokes since I put it in the bag, and I've had a lot more fun playing golf this season. Life is short...

That’s kinda what I’m talking about. After a fitting you found a better option and didn’t want to wait to play better. Some here buy the latest whether it’s brand new or on the mp here or cpo because the want the newest and its not necessarily about actual better performance.

Life is short. New and shiny clubs are cool. Immediate gratification isn't just a millennial thing.

I interpret the "lost time" as the difference between when one determines the club is the next to buy and when it is actually bought and in the bag. The geographic aspect of this is something that cannot be unaccounted for as well. I'm not picking a club in March only to wait until August to actually buy it when the golf season has 6 good weeks left. Consumer psychology says that when people are ready to buy, a vast majority of the time they purchase it rather quickly.

People switch clubs for any number of reasons, so the "far and above outperforms" aspect is next to null in my book when looking into any of this.

Interesting you bring the millennial thing up because that wasn’t mentioned in my post or even implied, not sure why it matters.

I agree geography plays a role in purchase time and I think that goes for many sports or hobbies where the discounts come at the end of a season. Buy ski/snowboard stuff in the spring even though you won’t use it til next season. I also people buy numerous reasons.

Imo the person waiting for the sale is doing so because it’s going to stay in their bag for more than a season (whatever length of time that is) or they will buy the next release under the same lowered price condition which would be a year or two later, so if one will gct a club in the bag for a release cycle or more even if it was bought late in the season are they really losing time with it?

couldn't this question be asked about pretty much any consumer good subject to release cycles? golf clubs, cars, electronics, etc? why is it specific to Callaway?

This exactly. Some of us like me love to get a deal on clubs but then turn around and do things like I did this spring - we bought a new boat and my wife got a new Range Rover, both of which depreciated 5-8% the first week we owned them. Buying a new car is not the smartest or the cheapest way to own a vehicle but many of us do it.

Some of us are early adopters whether it's a TV, car, or golf stuff. I tend to buy most of my drivers, fairway woods, and putters used but wedges and irons new. Makes no sense but it's what I do. I've been quite the club collector for 30+ years but have spent a lot less on golf equipment in my entire life than what our cars and boats have depreciated the last 3 months. Maybe age has made me a bit wiser with my perspective.

Last edited:
Back