Will You Create Your Legacy - 2015 #THPLegacy Event

Would love to see that progress report bumped by everybody. I know some people were/are really grinding the last month and some are not as active as others so we dont see how they are doing or hear much about it. Would love to hear from everybody throughout THP.
For me it's been about two weeks of doing nothing golf related, I'm not going to lie. Had a long trip across the country for my grandpas 93rd b-day, my 4 year old's b-day, mom came to visit, our wedding anniversary, now tomorrow our younger daughter turns 1. I'm going to get a lesson friday, playing saturday at Bella Collina and sunday at World Woods, 2 great tracks. I'm really glad I never hit that low point of preparation where it felt like work, and this time off only made me want to play more.

With the practice Ive put in the biggest improvement Ive seen for myself is a great reduction of blowup holes/consistancy. Im learning to recover and save strokes that way. Im not going to tell you that I can now shoot in the 70s and have made myself a single digit cap but outside of playing an unknown hard course like Olde Stonewall this weekend I dont see myself shooting in the 90s at all. I will be working on further improving my ball striking with irons and my short game.

From a fitness stand point Im down only about 8lbs and plan for that to be lower come Legacy. I will say however that with the work Ive done I no longer feel tired or weak by the end of the round. After both rounds this past weekend I felt great and could have played more no question. Thats a real big improvement for me.

Will You Create Your Legacy - 2015 #THPLegacy Event

My prep has really been the same old thing these last few weeks. Reps and more reps in the garage hitting balls. Playing rounds of golf whenever I can squeeze them in to take what I've been working on and bring it to the course.

But last night I also got to play my first golf league nine holes of the year. Silly sales rep scheduled a last minute remote demo so I literally rolled in five minutes before tee off. No warm up at all and it showed early. I was giving some strokes too and the opponent started off hot. He went par on number one handicap hole then chipped in for bird on two. I missed a five footer on three to get a hole back and was tempted to check out. But that wouldn't have been much of a legacy. Still was struggling off the tee, and even hit some poor approach shots but I just was grinding, thinking of Legacy and the tough matches we were going to have. Was getting up and down like it was my job, and brought the match back to all square after 8. Giving a pop on 9 and he hit a good drive on the toughest driving hole of the course. Water right, trees left, about 25 yards of safety to hit into, and playing into 15 mph winds. Finally manned up and piped a drive up the gut. He gets down in 5 and I'm sitting short sided in the rough needing to get up and down to halve. Hit a little soft chip that burns the edge but rolls out about 8 feet. But I drain it to half the match, shooting a shockingly decent 42 when I was swinging like a complete hack.

Apologies for the long winded story but without the short game work, putting drills and accountability to be better, I would not have come back to get a point in that match. That's what #THPLegacy has been about for me.

Let me start by summarizing my prep since I was selected in January.

January - strength training, also got to play golf twice, which is not normal in Iowa for January
February - strength training
March - strength training, golf mixed in as weather allowed
April - strength training, golf becoming regular now. Not focusing on any one thing, just trying to get my feel back
May - strength training, golf is now regular, I've identified my strengths and weaknesses, and where I can make improvement to cut the most strokes out of a round
June - strength training, start of 5 series lesson (it'll end up being 6 by the time July rolls around), significant focus on short game in prep work

It may be that I have different circumstances than a lot of people, but I live in a town that has no stop lights, and my home course is just this little par 31 9 hole course. It's not in the best of shape, the par 3s are super long, greens are only 20 yards in diameter. We don't have a driving range. But, if I want to go out at any time, 7 days a week, I can use one of the wider fairways as a driving range, because I'll likely be the only person on the course. Or I can putt on any green of my choosing. Or I can throw 15 balls around and practice pitching. The entire course is like my very own practice facility. And so while sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to get on a range and work out a kink in my swing without having to pick up my own balls afterwards, I believe I also have some advantage in that I can practice on a course any time that I feel like it. Plus, no one will scowl at me for having music going.

Remember when I said the par 3s were long? We have 5 par 3s. 225/95 (two different tees, alternates every week), 190, 210, 224, 220. And then there's those 20 yard diameter greens. I have shot under par twice there (-1 both times). I didn't do it because I was able to stick a bunch of 3 irons onto those par 3 greens, I did it because I birdied a couple of the shorter par 4s and because I was able to get up and down for par on those long par 3s. My course is all about short game. So whether I'm out there playing a league round, or out there pitching around a green, it seems like I'm always hitting short game shots.

One thing I've done differently this year than in previous years is actually care about my league rounds. I cared before, but it was pretty casual. I know the Legacy is going to be mental grind. There will be times where I'm hot, where my mind wants to get angry at me, where I will be wore out and just want to coast through the end of a round. No, 9 holes of league is not like 54 holes of competition. But it's something, it's simply teaching my brain how to handle the bad shots, how to approach every shot, how to turn the focus on, when to turn it off to relax for a bit. I used to just sluff through a round and let whatever happened happen. But now I'm focusing, I'm giving it the same focus I give to the City Tournament every year (which is mentally draining). And here is the result of that effort. Last year, my league scores ranged from 30 to 45. This year, I can actually list off every league round I've had so far. (Remember, it's a par 31) 36, 37, 37, 38, 35, 34. That 34 last week was not my best ball striking day. But I was still able to shoot my best league round of the year for two reasons. One, my 'poor' ball striking days aren't as bad as they used to be. Two, when I realized that a 'lesser' ball striking day didn't mean I was going to shoot terrible, I found out that my focus on the short game improved. "So what if I didn't quite catch that clean and came up 10 yards short, I can get up and down from there. So I pulled it, I have the shot to stick it close." That 34 last week had a lot of up and down par saves, and I was extremely happy with the way I played that day.

So about that practice. The majority of my practice is on short game, chip, pitch, putt. Probably because I can play out on the course whenever I want, I don't do a whole lot of full swing work in 'driving range' style. I do a lot of 'around the world/ladder' drills with putting. There isn't much to say about that. It's just meant to give me confidence in putting. I don't practice huge lag putts much, in part, because we have small greens, but also because it just isn't that big of an issue for me when I play other courses. My pitching practice is random. I throw a bunch of balls around a green, usually 20-50 yard range. But yesterday, I realized that I wasn't focusing as much as I should on each shot. If I didn't get one within 5 feet, I just moved on and went through the motions. So yesterday, I turned it into an up and down drill. Still random yardage pitches. But then I'd go on the green and see how many I made my 'par' putt for. Yesterday was 50%, I want that number to be 80%.

I've done plenty of mental game prep as well. I'm just following Rotella's "Your 15th Club." It's a great book, I'd recommend it to anyone.

So what does the future hold for me? Well, there are some new courses I'll be playing, I have 2 more scheduled lessons, and then I'd really like to do one playing lesson with him. Last week was a full swing lesson. It was a bit silly, he had me move the ball back about 2 inches in my stance, and that was it (admittedly, my full swing has been pretty solid for quite some time, and now is not the time for a rebuild). So for 40 minutes, while I hit balls, we just chatted. We got on the topic of my aggressive play style. I'm not going to rehash that entire conversation, but the point is, I know I'm aggressive, he tells me that's a good thing, but sometimes you have to lay off. So I'm probably going to have one playing lesson with him, just for that one aspect of the game.

And I'm going to end on my thoughts and the reasons behind my aggressive play style. I used to play to miss bad spots. Shooting around the course conservatively, middle of the greens, laying up, etc. Then one day last year, I was playing terrible. So I stopped pulling 3w and irons off the tee, and just started hitting driver. Next thing you know, I shoot the back 9 in 39 as opposed to the 48 I shot on the front. I started focusing on targets rather than focusing on where not to go. From that point forward, I have pretty well played aggressive all the time. Yes, sometimes it bites back, but my overall scoring has improved tremendously. You can't play golf with the mindset of always avoiding danger. As Phil Mickelson (and several others I'm sure) have said, you have to put yourself in a position to win. Trust your swing, pick your target, and shoot for it.

I rarely consider consequences when I hit my shot. I don't want to think about what happens if I miss. I know the answer to that before I even start a round. I am focusing on just that one shot and where it is going. It's like when you play a game of pool. You can survey the table, plot your next 4 or 5 shots. But if you miss the first shot, your planning was wasted, and you should have just been focusing on the shot in front of you. Yes, sometimes not considering consequences with my aggressive nature can cost me, but my overall scoring per round is typically better.

Thanks for reading my novel.

~Rock

Man rock I think aged reading your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, what a post McRock...I almost don't have the heart to point out I think there's only one par 3 across both courses that's over 175 from the blues. Maybe we'll play the tips?

I just got back from the doctor. I have clearance to play golf and work out again.

I have to say, I came out of the gate very quickly with this event. I was really kicking ass on my weight loss and practice for the first few months of this year. I was at the facility several times a week, almost always just pitching and chipping. On off days, I was at the course by my house putting for an hour after work each night. I was taking the worst parts of my game and trying to improve them. I was walking or running every single morning before the sun came up. Now, the weight loss basically stopped, and I have been kick starting it with diet, since I haven't been allowed to work out. The final push will see another 7-8 pounds disappear, I would guess.

On the chipping, I don't know if it's fair to say I have turned that weakness into a strength, but I feel much more comfortable with a wedge in my hands now than I have felt since I was a kid. Seeing the trajectory and being able to visualize the shot has always been an issue for me around the greens, and I am getting there. I trust myself to swing firmly through the ball, and know that if I miss my trajectory, I will still be bailed out by spin.

Improvement is a funny thing. It's never enough, and you don't really notice it until you look back. Right now, I am posting much better scores than I was last year, but it doesn't feel different. I think it's just that I am not throwing away shots around the green.

As far as putting goes, I am still getting comfortable with my stroke. I made a grip change that changes everything. Right now, I would say my putting is overall better, but it takes more focus and is tiring to do it this way. I have reduced 3 putts, but probably don't make as many putts outside of 10 feet as I used to. This is my primary focus right now.

I have 3 more lessons of the 5 pack I purchased remaining. He fixed some little things, and told me not to change a thing with my driver. I wish I had hit the driver like crap that day, because it's not always as good as it was when I had my last lesson.

Right now, my biggest weakness is my fairway woods. I don't anticipate having them completely on point by MB, but I will work with them. Still, my primary focus remains chipping and putting.

TLDR version: Biggest weakness is fairway woods. I am going to continue working on chipping and putting. I am still fat, but not as fat as I used to be.

I started focusing on targets rather than focusing on where not to go. From that point forward, I have pretty well played aggressive all the time. Yes, sometimes it bites back, but my overall scoring has improved tremendously. You can't play golf with the mindset of always avoiding danger. As Phil Mickelson (and several others I'm sure) have said, you have to put yourself in a position to win. Trust your swing, pick your target, and shoot for it.

I rarely consider consequences when I hit my shot. I don't want to think about what happens if I miss.
I feel like that approach is either going to work out really well or really badly for you on the risk/reward holes. Hopefully you'll pull out more hero shots than the ones that have your alt shot partner cursing under his breath.

I feel like that approach is either going to work out really well or really badly for you on the risk/reward holes. Hopefully you'll pull out more hero shots than the ones that have your alt shot partner cursing under his breath.
It's not a hero shot if you believe you can do it.

Plus, match play is a funny beast.

~Rock

To all participants, what are you doing to prepare for the pressure involved in this event? Playing some local tourneys? More matches with your foursome maybe?

What will get you ready for every shot next month that will help you win

To all participants, what are you doing to prepare for the pressure involved in this event? Playing some local tourneys? More matches with your foursome maybe?

Every chipping and putting drill I do involves pressure. Basically, execute a certain number of times or repeat the entire drill over again. On the course, I have been playing with THPers quite a bit, including local get togethers, LIITA, and the KC Invitational coming up. We are actually doing a little match this weekend with members of both teams. Generally speaking, I am trying to play the most difficult courses I can.

Nothing can get you ready for that pressure but all of my guys are doing everything they can to get themselves in those positions. Playing THP events with THPers always adds some level of pressure but nothing that these guys will see in July. People can say that they dont feel pressure all they want but its absolutely there.

I joined a matchplay league. 4 weeks in and it has changed how I play the game. After the first 2 weeks of paying close attention to what my opponent was doing Ive done a complete 180. I now just play my game and try to shoot my best.

As I discussed earlier, I treat my league rounds much more seriously. I've played with THPers, including a nice match play with MVP (aka NebGolfer).

My casual rounds with my foursome are more ryder cup oriented now. Best ball, best shot, alt shot. Because of who I play with, I wouldn't call it pressure packed, but it definitely is getting me used to playing with a partner.

Beyond that, its driven practice, and mostly short game. You have to 'make it count,' when you practice, and I've definitely moved towards that.

There is also a KC Invitational coming up.

And finally, I'm drawing on 4 years of City Tournament experience (and other tournaments I've played in).

~Rock

Every practice, I think of shots as "must make", especially putts. If I'm practicing lag putting, a 3-putt loses the hole. If I'm practicing chipping, I'll go putt all of my shots and failing to up-and-down loses the hole. On the driving range, shots that aren't on target have my partner cursing me under his breath (or maybe to my face).

Weekend rounds I'm just working to beat my handicap. Every hole counts. Try to bounce back from bad holes. Keep fighting, even when there's nobody to fight against.

I'm basically new to golf, and definitely new to competitive golf so I have no idea how I'm really going to do. I know that I've teed off in front of more THPers than there will be at the Legacy and I've played some matches now against THPers.

I specifically joined a men's association for the first time this year after I found out about the Legacy. Play in official tournament settings every other week, and starting next week we start our match play tournament over the next 30 days. The scenario I'm hoping for is that I have to forfeit that final because i'll be busy creating my Legacy :).

And well aware of the pressure of the first tee of THP events, but neither of the events I've played in were tremendous pressure overall, simply because they were two person teams and frankly I don't think anyone realistically expects to win those invitationals going in (unless your name is Mike Dean). But this event...there's only two teams, and one is going to win. That is enormous pressure to ensure you're on that end. And while I'm looking forward to it now, I know I'm going to have to dig deep every round when things are not going great for me...especially knowing I'm going to be one of the highest handicappers there to begin with, and probably as a matter of fact we generally have the largest variances to our scores high and low... so that adds a lot more pressure to make sure on those two days, I've got my A game and I'm on the positive side of my handicap.

As I have stated I am playing with Erky, golf4life, and jhoefer99 this Sunday so I am really looking forward to that. Not only because I get to play with fellow THPer's but the fact that its three member of Team Tradition give that feeling of pressure. I know that day will be fun but I'm going to put a little pressure on myself when I'm with these guys. That being said, I'd like to play in a tournament prior to Legacy to really give that pressure packed feeling.

I am really putting a great emphasis on the short game and putting these last few weeks. Truth be told, I kind of let that part of my game slip as of late to focus on my swing. I'm hitting up the range on Saturday and the plan is to put at least 2/3 of the time there chipping, pitching and putting. I really believe that the short game can make a difference at Legacy.

As I have stated I am playing with Erky, golf4life, and jhoefer99 this Sunday so I am really looking forward to that. Not only because I get to play with fellow THPer's but the fact that its three member of Team Tradition give that feeling of pressure. I know that day will be fun but I'm going to put a little pressure on myself when I'm with these guys. That being said, I'd like to play in a tournament prior to Legacy to really give that pressure packed feeling.

I am really putting a great emphasis on the short game and putting these last few weeks. Truth be told, I kind of let that part of my game slip as of late to focus on my swing. I'm hitting up the range on Saturday and the plan is to put at least 2/3 of the time there chipping, pitching and putting. I really believe that the short game can make a difference at Legacy.
oh we're coming for blood like a wild hyena pack, one separates you while the other two circle around and hit the hamstrings lol. For real though looking forward to playing with you again CJ

I went thru the pressure "ringer" over the past 3 seasons, when competing in one of the Amateur tours. My first season was truly a trial-by-fire, as I constantly fought with the jitters on the first couple of tees, or making shots/putts when I knew I needed it to move up a position, maintain a position, or in one event, making a putt meant a win versus 2nd place (in the 2nd season). The second season was much better, but I still had to work on being consistent with the approach. By the 3rd season, I was comfortable with how I chose to handle the pressure/nerves...

I still get nervous. I'm OK with that. I definitely feel the pressure. I'm OK with that. What I learned, over time and a good bit of trial-and-error, was how to better accept the pressure/nerves, and a few things I can do and think about to work through it, knowing it's not just going to go away. Just this week, I reviewed those "coping" actions/thoughts, and will start using them during each round, now. I came to that point, because the pressure/nerves went completely whacko when my swing/game took a big dive over the course of a very short time period. It hit me really hard, because of this thought "I'm on a team, and need to be better than this come competition time, for them!"

I hadn't been using any of those coping mechanisms, this season, and for me, those thoughts/actions take a little practice, so that they are part of my regular pre-round, pre-shot, and/or pre-putt routine. My first round with them was last night, and I caught myself skipping the same one on several holes, so I'm not quite where I need to be, yet. Work in progress.

Just finished up a conference call with #TeamTradition Before teams were selected I asked everyone some questions. 2 of those questions were What are you biggest weaknesses and what are your biggest strengths? I saved that little questionnaire so that at this point I would be able to do a stock take / progress report with them and see where they are at. Alot of times with these events, you work so hard on your weaknesses that your strengths start to suffer. To their credit, they have been working incredibly hard and have taken those weaknesses and making them strengths while not letting the rest of their games fall apart. I am incredibly proud of the effort that these guys have put in. They have come together as a team and have helped keep each other accountable and have been open and honest with each other from day one which I couldn't be happier about.

Would love to see that progress report bumped by everybody. I know some people were/are really grinding the last month and some are not as active as others so we dont see how they are doing or hear much about it. Would love to hear from everybody throughout THP.

As always I will through in my late night reply, I have finally been able to get in a golf rhythm by playing and practicing frequently throughout the week. My main focus right now is just tightening every aspect of my game, especially my short game. My main focus to to have the chance to get up and down when I miss the green. I have been fighting the driver recently as I have now started to hit a baby draw instead of a baby fade which I prefer but now I have to own it. As for the match play aspect I have made sure that something is on the line for every round I've played recently, even if I have to play alone I set goals and try to reach them. I would love to play in some tournaments but I work Saturdays so it is tough to find something that is Sunday only or on my day off during the week. I see that my teammates and opponents are putting time in and I don't want to be left behind.

I am playing some local Mini-tour events. I find matches within my foursome are only "pressure packed" if there's a decent amount of money on the line. The nerves are real though that's for sure...first hole of my last tournament I through up an Ocho Stinko.

Just finished up a conference call with #TeamTradition Before teams were selected I asked everyone some questions. 2 of those questions were What are you biggest weaknesses and what are your biggest strengths? I saved that little questionnaire so that at this point I would be able to do a stock take / progress report with them and see where they are at. Alot of times with these events, you work so hard on your weaknesses that your strengths start to suffer. To their credit, they have been working incredibly hard and have taken those weaknesses and making them strengths while not letting the rest of their games fall apart. I am incredibly proud of the effort that these guys have put in. They have come together as a team and have helped keep each other accountable and have been open and honest with each other from day one which I couldn't be happier about.

Great minds must think alike cause I did the same thing back in March once the full roster of participants was finalized.

Great minds must think alike cause I did the same thing back in March once the full roster of participants was finalized.
Mine were better... Lol

Back