Will You Create Your Legacy - 2015 #THPLegacy Event

My course doesn't have bunkers. :banghead:

But, I realize my weakness here. When my lessons start about mid-May, my instructor knows that one lesson will be devoted entirely to bunker play. Particularly green side bunker play. I've always done pretty well out of fairway bunkers.

~Rock

Rock are you using the guy from Honey Creek for your lessons? Since I am going to have time this summer to my wife and kids move to Iowa with me I'm thinking of taking lessons. Just trying to fill the void this summer.

I really want Mike to answer this question, because I know precisely what his response would be...

"Definitely."

Who's spending time working in the sand?

Now that the weather has turned and the local courses will actually be prep-ing bunkers (or in some cases, putting sand back in the bunkers), this is on my list, for sure. In fact, short game, specifically wedges and bunkers will be one of the lessons I seek out during the month of May.

and don't forget True Blue everything is considered a waste bunker, so you are allowed to ground your club everywhere on that course. My first year I didn't realize it, but the last 2 I realized how you can use that to your advantage.

I think one dynamic that makes the bunkers and waste bunkers in this Ares unique is you have variations if his fluffy they are depending where they are on the course. Many waste bunkers are hard then you get green side and they get fluffy . Gives many fits

And even that doesn't always ring true on True Blue. Some of the greenside bunkers play firmer, some are full of junk like a waste bunker, and some are nasty, fluffy, and heavy. So much variation.

Bottom line is the practice swings will save you though.

Waste bunkers are not like bunkers you would have on your course anyway. Think of them as more of a Midwest hardpan lie, I love waste bunkers because I am a picker.
For practice fond some hard pan area and work on hitting off of that

My course doesn't have bunkers. :banghead:

But, I realize my weakness here. When my lessons start about mid-May, my instructor knows that one lesson will be devoted entirely to bunker play. Particularly green side bunker play. I've always done pretty well out of fairway bunkers.

~Rock

Do they treat all bunkers as waste bunkers? i.e. you can practice swing on every bunker?

And even that doesn't always ring true on True Blue. Some of the greenside bunkers play firmer, some are full of junk like a waste bunker, and some are nasty, fluffy, and heavy. So much variation.

Bottom line is the practice swings will save you though.

I think one dynamic that makes the bunkers and waste bunkers in this Area unique is you have variations if his fluffy they are depending where they are on the course. Many waste bunkers are hard then you get green side and they get fluffy . Gives many fits

I used to love the fluffy sand. In years past, while my bunker play wasn't awesome, I could at least get out in one shot and get somewhere on the green. Then a few weeks ago, I got into a very deep bunker with very fluffy and brand new sand. It took a few shots to get out. That's when I realized I need help.

For these waste areas, is the idea just to try and pick it clean?

~Rock

I used to love the fluffy sand. In years past, while my bunker play wasn't awesome, I could at least get out in one shot and get somewhere on the green. Then a few weeks ago, I got into a very deep bunker with very fluffy and brand new sand. It took a few shots to get out. That's when I realized I need help.

~Rock

If it's near the green I just hit it like a bunker shot. It'll let you dig a little.

~Rock
Like Hawk I play green side like a bunker shot mostly. Now I haven't played True Blue so just going off the other Carolina courses that I frequent. I try and pick the waste areas off the fairway though.

The variation is just crazy.

Take #6 for example (the par 4 with two greens). The left side of the left green is a packed down and firm waste bunker. I think I barely even scraped a 1/2" off the surface hitting out of it.

Then you go to 7 (the par 3 with the massive bunker front right) and it's like your feet sink 6 inches down. Balls plug in that front wall like crazy.

Rock are you using the guy from Honey Creek for your lessons? Since I am going to have time this summer to my wife and kids move to Iowa with me I'm thinking of taking lessons. Just trying to fill the void this summer.

Yes, that's who I use. He rebuilt my swing about 4 years ago, and I have a lot of trust in him. Also, hit me up anytime for a round over there.

Waste bunkers are not like bunkers you would have on your course anyway. Think of them as more of a Midwest hardpan lie, I love waste bunkers because I am a picker.
For practice fond some hard pan area and work on hitting off of that

Yep. I have no issues picking the ball. I'll have no issues finding hard pan this year if we keep staying dry.

~Rock

I need more practice in fluffy sand. Waste bunkers (at least the ones I played in at the Texas Masters) were just like when you go off the fairways around here--hard packed dirt. We don't get a lot of fluffy sand though--most of the bunkers at courses I play on are like hard packed sand from the rain.

and don't forget True Blue everything is considered a waste bunker, so you are allowed to ground your club everywhere on that course. My first year I didn't realize it, but the last 2 I realized how you can use that to your advantage.
It's weird at first to take practice swings, but then you fall in love with it!

Pretty cool to get my shirts in for the event. Colors are pretty nice!

I need more practice in fluffy sand. Waste bunkers (at least the ones I played in at the Texas Masters) were just like when you go off the fairways around here--hard packed dirt. We don't get a lot of fluffy sand though--most of the bunkers at courses I play on are like hard packed sand from the rain.
Texas Star, Fossil Crrek, Hidden Creek, Sky Creek ranch . One of those will take care of that for you.

I have to admit the pink with the grey shorts looks pretty slick. I honestly never thought I would own a pink shirt in my life.
I like wearing Pink actually. Grey would be a good fit.

Last edited:

To that I would say work on your normal bunker play. It's much like green speeds: if you can adapt from speed to speed, you can adapt to different firmness of the sand.

Texas Star, Fossil Crrek, Hidden Creek, Sky Creek ranch . One of those will take care of that for you.
Sweet, thanks for the tips. Might have to hit a twilight round at one of those and aim for the bunkers.

Sweet, thanks for the tips. Might have to hit a twilight round at one of those and aim for the bunkers.
Also, check out the practice bunkers at Leonards, they are usually pretty good. PM staticline to check for sure though.

Back