will you play any (good) ball you find or only play your ball/s of choice?

will you play any (good) ball you find or only play your ball/s of choice?

• will only play my choice of ball/s regardless what others i find

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • wil play anything found that is in new condition

Votes: 20 18.5%
  • Will only play found balls if they are higher end (more expensive) than my choice ball

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • Will play some found balls I think are fairly similar to my ball

Votes: 45 41.7%

• Total voters

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I know not all but many of us are ball specific meaning of course we play our ball of choice or perhaps even have a couple but still the idea is that we really like a given ball or two for whatever our reasons may be and we generally stick to it.

But just how stuck to your ball/s of choice are you?
We all (I assume) often find balls and many are like new. But if not your ball of choice (or perhaps one of a couple or so that you do use) what do you do? Do you use them? Give them away? Save them for only practicing or perhaps to use on those bad days when you lost a couple or so?
Just how stuck to your ball/s of choice are you?

I do find it strange though- whenever anyone finds a pro-v how they almost always comment "hey a nice pro-v" and in the bag it goes even if they don't play that ball. With that said some people will only play their ball/s of choice but then will play a high end ball if found.

For me, I have my own reasons (just like many of you) for my ball of choice and what I like. There are only couple others I will currently use that I think may be similar or fit my game but in general when I find balls in good condition but its not what I play I will give it away or sometimes save them in the practicing, or poor golf day pouch etc.. And Yes even a pro-v I may or may not keep and if I do it goes in the practice or bad day pouch because I don't currently use that ball nor is it similar to my current ball.

Sometimes I will use different ones but its really about experimentation so I'm not going to count that for the general gist of this thread.

Last edited:
I usually start my round with my favourite ball.

If things are going poorly, or I am not happy with my round overall, I'll probably grab a found ball out of the bag if I lose that first one. At that point, consistency is not of huge concern.

I have a select few I try to play but I'll play just about any premium ball if it's in good shape. If I start getting errant, out comes the junk balls for the rest of the round.

If balls were a lot cheaper or I got a whole bunch of one kind, I'd play the same ball every time

I have a select few I try to play but I'll play just about any premium ball if it's in good shape. If I start getting errant, out comes the junk balls for the rest of the round.

If balls were a lot cheaper or I got a whole bunch of one kind, I'd play the same ball every time
Yea I usually by my ball of choice on sale and jump on a few doz at a time so I am usually never without and have a generous supply. That does sort of help with staying with the same ball.

I only play a few modes of golf balls: chrome Soft, pro V1x or tour preferred X. I prefer the softer cover on each but with the new nike rzn*proto coming to retail as the tour platinum, I might just stick to CS and Nike ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a mix. I usually game my game ball, but during the winter months I will use the balls that I found throughout the season just for kicks.

I will play my paticular favorite ball but will play a found ball of similar style as a test when I am practicing

I've tried many different balls and the reason I play the ball I do is because it is the one I found best for my game. If I fhad be somethng similar to what I pant I will try it but usually will only play it for a hole or so before switching back to my ball.

If I'm playing well, I stick with my favorite ball but, if I'm struggling that day I'll play different balls I have found or find that day. Sometimes, while looking for a lost ball I'll find a better one than the one I lost so into play it goes.

I usually will grab any found balls and stick them in one of two pockets of my bag. If they're decent quality, similar to my gamer or better, they'll go into my game pocket and I'll have no problem trying them on the course. If they're rocks or badly abused, they go in my shag pocket or I'll give them to my 10yo for his "golf ball collection".

I keep the pro v1 I find that look new and toss the rest in the wife's bag. I have had success with this ball so it's not just seeing a name and grabbing it. She'll hit any of them so it works well

I only play a ball that I bring to the course....none that I find. Just doesn't feel right playing with someone elses balls.

Went with: Will play some found balls I think are fairly similar to my ball. When the course is slow or I am taking my time when the course is empty, I will scout for some balls. I will only keep balls of a similar style to what I play; especially balls that I want to try.

If I'm playing a round for score, and as long as it is similar to the ball I usually play, I'm okay with it. I usually use the Pro-V1x, so I have no problems if I were to find a B-330 or any of the other similar balls. If I find a DT Solo, I'll hang onto it for another day, but wouldn't put it in play for that round.

I play the ball of my choice regardless of what I find - don't like mixing balls. One less variable to worry about.

I try to stay consistent and play the chrome soft only....now with that said, if the round isn't going great I will switch out to a different ball.

If I find anything besides B330-RX, Chrome Soft, ProV1x or Z Star, I leave the balls where I find them for someone else to pick up. If I won't play them, I don't keep them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I rarely pick up golf balls on a golf course. Unless I know it is late at night or early morning and there is no one else on the course, then I may pick up the ball. But it has to be a higher end ball and in good shape. It doesn't have to be the brand I normally play.

I try to stay consistent and play the chrome soft only....now with that said, if the round isn't going great I will switch out to a different ball.

Consistent.....is my biggest feeling about it. I play my ball of choice for the reasons I have and with my game being a work in progress I feel the more things that are the same, are each one less variable to think about or factor in. But of course I have intentionally experimented with different balls and at times still do.

But badly bruised balls I wont even pick up, and in fact now that I think of it I often enough do just leave balls I see if I know it isn't mine. I don't know if its laziness I suppose sometimes or because I don't care and I know its not mine and I have plenty anyway and/or know I probably will not use it anyway so why bother.lol.

During the regular season I usually play the same brand/model unless things go real bad (lose a bunch in a short period of time). During the winter I play a mix of sometimes 4+ different brands/models of balls I find during the year. Due to the fact the weather is colder and I tend to lose balls quicker.

If I find a ProV1 on the course, you're darn tootin right that I'm putting it in the bag. I'll pick up just about any ball I find, but the lower end ones will probably wind up being practice shot into a water hazard before the round is over, or brought to the range and hit before I leave the course.

I have a five gallon bucket filled with practice balls in my shed, so the lower end ones aren't going to come home with me.

Last edited:
I prefer a Titelist NXT, Top Flite Gamer, or Bridgestone E6.

I pickup balls, if I'm sure no one is around looking for them.

That is how I decided what ball works best for me.

Find new, and test with found balls in mint condition.

The rough ones we use for practice at home.

Jack

If I find a ProV1 on the course, you're darn tootin right that I'm putting it in the bag. I'll pick up just about any ball I find, but the lower end ones will probably wind up being practice shot into a water hazard before the round is over, or brought to the range and hit before I leave the course.

But I would ask, is that because you know thats a ball better suited for your game or is it simply because of its status. Reason I ask is because it is very possible that ball can do you more harm than good. I know for me and my current game that (when my game isn't at its best) that ball can hurt me more than help me vs my current ball/s of choice.

I play just about any and every ball. I play the balls that I find. I am not brand specific. If it is a ball I do not play, I will donate to the First Tee program in our area (the pro shop has a ball bin for donations).

I have a five gallon bucket filled with practice balls in my shed, so the lower end ones aren't going to come home with me.
But I would ask, is that because you know thats a ball better suited for your game or is it simply because of its status. Reason I ask is because it is very possible that ball can do you more harm than good. I know for me and my current game that (when my game isn't at its best) that ball can hurt me more than help me vs my current ball/s of choice.

This is why I am fairly selective (at least mid season) about which ones I put into play. Most of the time when I find a ball I'll pass it on to a playing partner because I know I have six dozen B330's at home.. If it's a comparable ball, I'll throw it in the bag for when I am playing mediocre golf and use it then.

Back