Will You Retire to a Golf Community?

Still in the same boat. Goal is to retire somewhere warm in a golf community.

I'd love to live somewhere there are plenty of courses but not in a course community.

I can see us probably snow birding but not Florida or Arizona.

I can only hope so

It’s not a golf community but our MN home is in a resort area and one nearby resort has 54 holes with one course ranked #62 on Golf Digest’s Top 100 You Can Play. I’m on the waiting list to be a member so hopefully in another year or two I’ll be off the waiting list. The rating/slope off the tips is 75.5/148 so it offers challenge for any golfer.
I have a membership at the other nearby resort that has 45 holes and they also host a MacKenzie(Canadian Tour) event there each August. Cost for that membership is only $2600/year and includes all cart, greens fees, and range balls. The closest course is 1/2 mile but none are more than a 3 mile drive.

The courses are obvious in Google Earth although the image is old as it shows a bunch of holes under construction that were completed a year ago.

CEF69FDE-9692-40B6-A22A-B6836826D67E.jpeg

We are contemplating a move from San Diego to Oxnard/Ventura area. Plenty of courses to live on there as in San Diego. I guess at this point I would say maybe. It would really depend on WHERE on the course it was located. Right/left side of fairway 50-250out from the tee is absolute no go. So I would restrict myself to tee green areas Or areas with a big rough buffer. It would also depend on the upcharge I’d pay for a GC home vs an off course home.

My wife and 2 friends are doing a girls trip to look at houses in Bluffton/Hilton Head area. This could be the start of something good 😀

Absolutely. Wife and I bought our place a couple years back. I retire end of this year and we are off!

Thoughts of living in a golf community where I can access all needs by golf carts sounds freaking awesome. Currently live in close proximity to the country club with access by cart in about 5 minutes. Enjoying semi retirement. Chances of moving again are not great since we just moved here about 15 months ago. Maybe our kids and grandkids will end up in a warmer climate. If that’s the case it might happen.

Possible. We are looking at buying a house in Dorado in PR. Probably will live there during the winter and here during the summer. At least that is the goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We recently visited friends in AZ and spent a few days walking through houses in three different golf communities. We know that is where we will retire but we haven't selected the community yet.

Last edited:
Decision made.
Yes

Probably not, but at the same time, we are looking at leaving Miami and we're considering some over 55 communities around the Raleigh, NC area.

The 2 we've looked at so far do a lot to organize community members to meet one another in groups based on their common interests. Golf is a really big deal in that area with so many courses in the Raleigh/Durham area, not to mention the Pinehurst area being about 45 minutes away.

It wouldn't be the same as living in a place with its own course, but the community effort behind creating golfing groups would be a big improvement over how I arrange games now.

I can say that the thought of being able to do everything via golf cart in a golf community sounds awesome. Not sure however if that convenience out ways pace of play and population issues. What are fee structures golf golf in these type communities. Hopefully not as bad as the fees I hear being charged for golf in Arizona

I will. Hopefully Pinehurst or somewhere similar.

I hope so..

Assuming you have not retired yet, so decisions have not been made. Do you think you will retire to a golf community?
Probably not. We like Ann Arbor and the mix of people and activites.

Still trying to figure out where my wife will go?
I have 8-10 years before we decide.

Back