Will you try or play a longer than average driver this season?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Everyone is chasing distance, the move to longer shafts is starting to happen at the OEM level. Will you play a 46" shaft or longer?

I've tried a couple and I don't love it. What about you?

I have a Project X LZ60 that's uncut. I'm going to try playing it at 46.5" in my B21. Figure the extra speed and the design of the head may help me get distance, while still hitting straight.

Yeah, not likely. 45 3/4" is plenty for me. I play 45" right now and I know the exact effect when I add length. Past 46" would be working against my goals. Position matters to me.

Everyone is chasing distance, the move to longer shafts is starting to happen at the OEM level. Will you play a 46" shaft or longer?

It would be really fun to have an extra Long Drive shaft to put in play for scrambles and wide open courses but I will skew shorter this year. I ordered my current driver short of standard and might even go to a tour length driver(44.5") in my next driver.

I feel like I struggle with dispersion as it is, so more length and more speed makes me think I'll be spending less time in the short stuff, and have more lost balls.

I currently game a 44 1/2" driver but have some that go to 45 1/2" which is probably the max I will go give or take.

I have an Excaliber SL 55 that I have played in the simulator at 47.5". That was super heavy swing weight wise but I definitely picked up at least 10 yards of carry with it. I took it to the course once and struggled a bit with it but it was cold and windy. I am thinking that I may cut it to 46.5" finished and I have a lighter weight for my head and put it in play. 10 yards of carry would be material at my course because there are two traps off the tee that I am on the edge of being able to carry them.

Not sure what standard is anymore. Lots of OEMS pushing from 45" to 45.5 or 45.75, but if 46" is over length, I am currently playing that and really pleased with it.

yes, I didn't see any benefit with the shorter shaft last year, so by that logic the longer shaft should be better......I think. :unsure:

Nope. I was struggling with "standard" length as it was.

No. If anything, I'll go a little shorter.

Back in the day of 43" drivers, I tried one that was 45".

It was way too inconsistent. I didn't know about swingweighting or overall weight. If I time it up well, it was great but that was a 1 in 15-20 proposition.

I will not. The few extra yards isn't worth the accuracy to me.

Nope. I have a lot of LD drivers that are 48”. They go all over the place. So does my regular driver, but not as bad.

Hard pass. I will be going the other direction and probably playing 43.5-44". Being a midget makes the shorter shaft desirable.

I don't see it happening for me. I'd want to really test it out, but I just don't foresee the time to efficiently make that happen. I'll probably be sitting somewhere in the 44.75" to 45."25 range.

No plans to change from my current setup.

I changed the grip to remove the Arccos grip from my new G425 so I think it is probably 45.5. Definitely won't go any longer than that and I would probably be more beneficial it go shorter honestly but I like the weight balance right now.

No. I'll try one for fun from time to time if someone I'm golfing/practicing with has one. The practice time it would take me to ever become proficient enough to game a longer driver just isn't worth those few extra 'potential' yards. Time much better $pent practicing wedge/putt.

Anyone know what the theoretical gains might be for each extra inch? It should be some percentage of yardage with standard length. Are the theoretical gains linear as length increases? Exponential? Guessing it's info long drive competitors or fitters might have at their fingertips?

I doubt I will change. I might try a longer driver if given the chance though. Never say never I suppose.

No. I'll try one for fun from time to time if someone I'm golfing/practicing with has one. The practice time it would take me to ever become proficient enough to game a longer driver just isn't worth those few extra 'potential' yards. Time much better spent on wedge/putter practice.

Anyone know what the theoretical gains might be for each extra inch? It should be some percentage of yardage with standard length. Are the theoretical gains linear as length increases? Exponential? Guessing it's info long drive competitors or fitters might have at their fingertips?
Every inch should equate to roughly 3mph clubhead speed. Some may see more, or less. I would say a lot of people will actually see less potentially, because they are less comfortable and fear the miss more than a standard length.

I've played my driver at 45" for the last several years and when grabbing the Cobra drivers at the store they feel so darn long. I haven't even tried swinging them at 46" I always choke down

No. I see no immediate benefit.

Back