Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

If the site even said it would ship in 5 to 7 days why would anyone expect to hear after 3 or so?

I also thought it said it was shipping direct from factory, so there must be some delay there. I wouldn't sweat it until day 8 honestly.... but thats just me.

If the site even said it would ship in 5 to 7 days why would anyone expect to hear after 3 or so?

Because we want them Yesterday, dammit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First hole on my home course: birdie
Second round in month of January: personal best

I think the C200's and I are getting along pretty well.

Darn it Deuce! I just got my GMAX irons refitted (New lie angle, only 1/2" long vs. 1", and Stiff Graphite instead of Soft Stepped Steel Regular - all done by Ping for free. Talk about a bad fitting) and was excited on using them however every time I read a post from you and your success, I want to ditch the GMax's for the C200's right now! Stop talking them up! :smile:

Shhh, don't tell my boss but I just read through this entire thread. How do these compare for anyone who has played Burner 2.0's?

Say what you will about TM but I have played the best and most consistent golf of my life since buying a set of 2.0's in 2011, fitted by my pro with KBS Tour Stiff. But, I am getting that itch for something new.

I have TM RSi 1 irons with the KBS tour shafts in them. I noticed too there can be a bit of dislike towards TM in the forums, but personally I'm still more comfortable with my TM than my C200s. Can't force yourself to play something that is going hurt your game just because. I lost a little bit of distance (about 4-5 yards per club) with the C200s but there was a slightly tighter dispersion in the lower clubs with the C200s but not enough for me to remove what I currently game. With their current configuration of standard loft, lie, and length with the Aldila Rogue shaft the ball was launching too high for my personal liking. JohnSinVA was kind enough to send me up a KBS shaft from his set so I can do a direct comparison of my RSi 8-iron to C200 8-iron with virtually the same shaft to see if the numbers change with a steel shaft. Hoping to get the numbers on the sim this weekend.

I have TM RSi 1 irons with the KBS tour shafts in them. I noticed too there can be a bit of dislike towards TM in the forums, but personally I'm still more comfortable with my TM than my C200s. Can't force yourself to play something that is going hurt your game just because. I lost a little bit of distance (about 4-5 yards per club) with the C200s but there was a slightly tighter dispersion in the lower clubs with the C200s but not enough for me to remove what I currently game. With their current configuration of standard loft, lie, and length with the Aldila Rogue shaft the ball was launching too high for my personal liking. JohnSinVA was kind enough to send me up a KBS shaft from his set so I can do a direct comparison of my RSi 8-iron to C200 8-iron with virtually the same shaft to see if the numbers change with a steel shaft. Hoping to get the numbers on the sim this weekend.

I am curious to see your results now that it will be compared apples to apples.

Off topic: Still waiting on mine to ship from RBG. To their defense, website did say product may take 3 to 7 days before shipment.

Back on topic: very ready to give them some swings. I keep reading/watching all of the THP content and any other content available.

Can't wait to hear your comparison between the c200 and c100s.

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to your 8 iron results.

I was able to do a comparison between 7 irons in my review:

C200 vs. C100

Looking at the C100 it is clear that this was used as the basis for the C200, rather than the C200 being drawn up from a blank sheet of paper. The C100 has essentially the same profile and shape along the toe, topline, and sole as its successor C200. The primary difference is the C200's power holes versus the C100's exoskeleton and deep undercut cavity:

WP_20151020_002_zpsa3tpslpi.jpg

WP_20151020_001_zpssw0szgfr.jpg

WP_20151020_006_zps9gdhyci5.jpg

WP_20151020_005_zpsudsqmcti.jpg

I am fortunate enough to have a local golf store with a C100 demo 7iron that enabled me to get direct comparison between the C100 and C200 clubs with a launch monitor. The demo C100 7iron was standard length and lie with the True Temper CL100 shaft in regular flex. Below are some swings I took alternating between the two clubs, the first five with the C100, the remainder with the C200.

WP_20151020_008_zpsti7oordj.jpg

I spent some more time with each and some impact tape trying to get into a groove where I was making contact consistently around the sweet spot. When I got comfortable I put fresh tape one each club and took six full swings with each. (Pay no mind to carry distances, I think the tape was lowering the spin numbers and messing with the calculations.)

The C100:

WP_20151020_010_zpsajhnojl2.jpg

WP_20151020_011_zpsepvmipdw.jpg

The C200:

WP_20151020_012_zpssv0vwija.jpg

WP_20151020_013_zpsxmwrclhy.jpg

What I found surprising in the six swing comparison was that shots that were struck close to center-face had no really significant differences in distance. However, in comparing the two C100 misses (2&3) with the C200 miss (2), ball speed dropped much less with the C200, with all misses being toward the toe. The results here seem to further reinforce the increased forgiveness provided by the C200's FLXFace tech.

I would be interested in those results as well.

@JohnSinVA provided a good numbers-based comparison above. I can only provide mostly qualitative bits, at this point, and a strictly carry distance/ballflight impression. The C200 is a big upgrade on the C100 in looks and in sound/feel. These are subjective, I know, but I honestly can't imagine most folks not liking the looks/sound better with the C200. It looks slightly less chunky, but still has a "friendly" size that should give some confidence when looking down at it. I think the sole is slightly thinner on the C200, and they have done a much better job of blending the offset, at least to my eyes. With the sound/feel, I really believe the urethane used in the Power Holes and in the cavity badge make for a pleasing sound at impact. I like the impact sound with the C100 just fine - it's "clickier" and maybe a touch louder, I guess. The C200 is more muted and sounds "softer".

Basic shot carry comparison, between the two, had the C200 around a half club longer than the C100 (both with stock stiff shafts - my own C100s have C-Taper Lites, so that's a slightly different comparison). Ball flight was higher with the C200s, and appeared to have a steeper descent angle. My "numbers" comparisons will be almost solely course-based, once I can get out and play. I know what clubs I would pull on given distances, with the C100s, so that's where I'll start with the C200s - of course, those distances will change a bit, as the season, and my swing get warmed-up as well.

Great thoughts Rambler. I will disagree on one point, I'm a sucker for the black/satin look on the 100s.

Great thoughts Rambler. I will disagree on one point, I'm a sucker for the black/satin look on the 100s.

Thanks. On the black finish... I am an admitted fan of black finished irons as well. The C100 finish, when walking (and thus some club on club contact) does wear through in spots. Not a big deal to me, in the end.

Thanks. On the black finish... I am an admitted fan of black finished irons as well. The C100 finish, when walking (and thus some club on club contact) does wear through in spots. Not a big deal to me, in the end.

That's been my basic experience with black or colored faces is that they tend to wear off. I had a set of Cobra's with a black PVD finish, nice when new but after several rounds, the finish was wearing off and by the end of the season the clubs looked very worn.

That's been my basic experience with black or colored faces is that they tend to wear off. I had a set of Cobra's with a black PVD finish, nice when new but after several rounds, the finish was wearing off and by the end of the season the clubs looked very worn.
If more companies adopt the Diamonized Black Metal finish they will have much better wear over time. The New Cobras have it, but I think they are the only OEM that does. It's not so much a coating but it impregnates the metal.

Another excellent review thread-reminds me of the great d11 one.
Interesting that there is still a little bit of an image problem with some.
Personally I love WS golf products. I loved the di11 irons.
My club here in France stocks Wilson and I just ordered a new putter (the grant park) as well as the fg tour blue wedge in 52-really looking forward to getting them.
I currently have fg62 irons from 7-pw which I love but on all honesty are for a better player than me (11 handicap).

I was trying out the fg tour v4_and was close to ordering in 7-pw (no problems ordering individual irons here by the way). The proshop guy said I might want to wait and try the c200 irons, so I am waiting because I think they will be worth the wait.
Actually pretty keen on trying the KBS 90 shaft too. I have a funny mix of shafts in my bag-px 6.0 in longer irons in plus 1 inch (actually mizuno fli hi) and plain old r300 in 7-pw in standard l/l!
I think the KBS in stiff will be fine for for this old man!
Anyway if I get to try them in a month or so I will certainly update with my opinions and thanks once more to the testers.

Sent from my SLIDE using Tapatalk

Try the F5 irons if you get the chance also, and thank you for the kind words!

Try the F5 irons if you get the chance also, and thank you for the kind words!

I will certainly have a look at the f5-haven't seen much about them so far. Thanks to you and the others for the excellent write-ups.

Cheers john-i have just read the 110 pages of this thread-l'll head over there now. My wife is going to love me!

I had to ask. The Golfsmith in Raleigh has a righty set on the wall, but no demos in either hand. :(

@wilsonstaff, any chance y'all could send Golfsmith #087 a few lefty #C200 clubs to demo? We're in need of #genflx love. - https://twitter.com/_suds_/status/693586618821668864?s=09

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

For those of us in No. Illinois, Wilson is doing demos at Links and Tees in Addison and Buffalo Grove Dome on February 6. 10-1.

The scores don't always reflect it, but I'm learning how to really work with these clubs. Today, had a second shot on a Par 4 that left me 145 yards out. With the C200 that's a 7i. I had a slight wind to my back, and a 40' tall tree about 20 yards ahead of me. Placed the ball slightly to the front of my stance and let it rip. Caught it flush, and cleared the tree and the green. I figure I've easily got another half a club or more of distance to milk out of these clubs once I become more consistent with my swing. With the 588 MT's, my 7i was going 135 on average. How much of this distance gain is attributable to the club head, the shaft, or practice I don't know ... but I honestly don't care.

The scores don't always reflect it, but I'm learning how to really work with these clubs. Today, had a second shot on a Par 4 that left me 145 yards out. With the C200 that's a 7i. I had a slight wind to my back, and a 40' tall tree about 20 yards ahead of me. Placed the ball slightly to the front of my stance and let it rip. Caught it flush, and cleared the tree and the green. I figure I've easily got another half a club or more of distance to milk out of these clubs once I become more consistent with my swing. With the 588 MT's, my 7i was going 135 on average. How much of this distance gain is attributable to the club head, the shaft, or practice I don't know ... but I honestly don't care.

That is awesome Deuce! I really like the looks of these and the more I read all the positive reviews, the more I would like to demo a set.

That is awesome Deuce! I really like the looks of these and the more I read all the positive reviews, the more I would like to demo a set.
Yeah, the theme of the day was long. I overshot about six greens. It hurt the overall score today, but if I can dial in those distances the GIRs will start to come. My problem is consistency right now, which is just a matter of practice I suppose.

Back