Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

@JohnSinVA provided a good numbers-based comparison above. I can only provide mostly qualitative bits, at this point, and a strictly carry distance/ballflight impression. The C200 is a big upgrade on the C100 in looks and in sound/feel. These are subjective, I know, but I honestly can't imagine most folks not liking the looks/sound better with the C200. It looks slightly less chunky, but still has a "friendly" size that should give some confidence when looking down at it. I think the sole is slightly thinner on the C200, and they have done a much better job of blending the offset, at least to my eyes. With the sound/feel, I really believe the urethane used in the Power Holes and in the cavity badge make for a pleasing sound at impact. I like the impact sound with the C100 just fine - it's "clickier" and maybe a touch louder, I guess. The C200 is more muted and sounds "softer".

Basic shot carry comparison, between the two, had the C200 around a half club longer than the C100 (both with stock stiff shafts - my own C100s have C-Taper Lites, so that's a slightly different comparison). Ball flight was higher with the C200s, and appeared to have a steeper descent angle. My "numbers" comparisons will be almost solely course-based, once I can get out and play. I know what clubs I would pull on given distances, with the C100s, so that's where I'll start with the C200s - of course, those distances will change a bit, as the season, and my swing get warmed-up as well.

Yeah, the theme of the day was long. I overshot about six greens. It hurt the overall score today, but if I can dial in those distances the GIRs will start to come. My problem is consistency right now, which is just a matter of practice I suppose.

The more I hear you guys talking about the clubs, the more anxious I'm getting for my test club to arrive from TGW. I think I got another 2 weeks to go though.....bummer.

The scores don't always reflect it, but I'm learning how to really work with these clubs. Today, had a second shot on a Par 4 that left me 145 yards out. With the C200 that's a 7i. I had a slight wind to my back, and a 40' tall tree about 20 yards ahead of me. Placed the ball slightly to the front of my stance and let it rip. Caught it flush, and cleared the tree and the green. I figure I've easily got another half a club or more of distance to milk out of these clubs once I become more consistent with my swing. With the 588 MT's, my 7i was going 135 on average. How much of this distance gain is attributable to the club head, the shaft, or practice I don't know ... but I honestly don't care.

Sounds like you're starting to get dialed in with those. One way to answer your question is to take some of the MTs with you on your next round and hit two balls a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't wait for the weather to break so I can get a round in with the DMV guys who,have these and get some more time with them.

I am quite intrigued by these irons. The read I read about them the more I want to try them in person.

I saw these in the store yesterday. They passed the eye test.................easily.

The offset looked very reasonable, aesthetics excellent, top line looked very good (what slots and from my perspective made it look thinner) and fantastic with graphite shafts!!!

Now demo days.

Yeah, the theme of the day was long. I overshot about six greens. It hurt the overall score today, but if I can dial in those distances the GIRs will start to come. My problem is consistency right now, which is just a matter of practice I suppose.
Not a bad theme to have. ?

When I switched from my Anser's to the C100s I gained 5 yards. Based on John's comparison between the C100s and the C200s I should hopefully be able to do the same again. Don't get me wrong, I really like my C100s they're great irons. However, all of the positives plus more distance and possibly a better feel. I could get used to that quickly.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So I went and hit these over lunch to see what all the fuss was about. They had a demo set with graphite shafts. Holy wow. I was hitting the C200s consistently 10 yards longer than my current AP1s and the lofts are the same in both sets for the 7-PW, which are the ones I was hitting. The stock length of the C200s is the same as my AP1s since I got them +1/2" when I ordered them so it really is comparing apples to apples. I hit my AP1s as well so that I was getting true comparative information. I was getting nice numbers for launch angle and spin rate. They have a very solid yet muted feel to them. My debit card just entered the witness protection program for its own safety.

Wilson came through a lot sooner than I expected and TGW did a FedEx express ship to me at N/C. My "test" 7 iron with a graphite shaft +1 up really looks and sets up great. It's pouring outside so I didn't have a chance to swing these, but a few that I did chip inside the house (with the wife gone) into a net had the sweetest click I've heard in an iron. I'll be out with this club tomorrow.

Wilson came through a lot sooner than I expected and TGW did a FedEx express ship to me at N/C. My "test" 7 iron with a graphite shaft +1 up really looks and sets up great. It's pouring outside so I didn't have a chance to swing these, but a few that I did chip inside the house (with the wife gone) into a net had the sweetest click I've heard in an iron. I'll be out with this club tomorrow.

Sweetest sound and feel. I wasn't lying.

Turf interaction is better than my old G25 irons. If I come way down on the ball I can take half the earth with me but I don't think these get stuck at all on a typical swing. Still a game improvement iron so there is assistance there.

Thanks so much for your continued comparison to my former G25's, an experiment that did not pan out.

Congratulations. That is exceptional! Review to follow?

So I went and hit these over lunch to see what all the fuss was about. They had a demo set with graphite shafts. Holy wow. I was hitting the C200s consistently 10 yards longer than my current AP1s and the lofts are the same in both sets for the 7-PW, which are the ones I was hitting. The stock length of the C200s is the same as my AP1s since I got them +1/2" when I ordered them so it really is comparing apples to apples. I hit my AP1s as well so that I was getting true comparative information. I was getting nice numbers for launch angle and spin rate. They have a very solid yet muted feel to them. My debit card just entered the witness protection program for its own safety.

10 yards is crazy, thats good to hear..just a matter of time for ya..

Congratulations. That is exceptional! Review to follow?

Getting out in about another hour or so. Will write up something late afternoon or early evening.

Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

So finally took some time to reshaft my C200 with a steel shaft courtesy of JohnSinVA. Haven't hit the sim yet but have got some swings in the hitting net. Initial thoughts are I do enjoy the steel shaft feel in the swing better than the graphite however the weight of these clubs heads are more prominent than my current irons which I'm not sure how feel about. Curious to see what the sim numbers show for launch angle and carry.

On a side note, I've been constantly hitting the Wilson Duo golf balls up against ProV1, TM Tour Preferred, Titelist Velocity, and some others. These Wilson Duo golf balls have the absolute best contact response and feel no matter which iron I'm hitting. The feel these golf balls provide is superb and really promotes confidence and comfort when addressing the ball. Can't wait to get these out on the course full time this year.

So finally took some time to reshaft my C200 with a steel shaft courtesy of JohnSinVA. Haven't hit the sim yet but have got some swings in the hitting net. Initial thoughts are I do enjoy the steel shaft feel in the swing better than the graphite however the weight of these clubs heads are more prominent than my current irons which I'm not sure how feel about. Curious to see what the sim numbers show for launch angle and carry.

On a side note, I've been constantly hitting the Wilson Duo golf balls up against ProV1, TM Tour Preferred, Titelist Velocity, and some others. These Wilson Duo golf balls have the absolute best contact response and feel no matter which iron I'm hitting. The feel these golf balls provide is superb and really promotes confidence and comfort when addressing the ball. Can't wait to get these out on the course full time this year.

Great to hear. Make some time to hit the sim and see where you stand with them. Which head did you end up reshafting?

Great to hear. Make some time to hit the sim and see where you stand with them. Which head did you end up reshafting?

Went with the 8-iron. It's my most comfortable iron and most frequently used after the tee shot.

We are hosting a small super bowl gathering so I'm gonna try to get some sim time Saturday.

10 yards is crazy, thats good to hear..just a matter of time for ya..

Sold some musical gear I owned that I no longer need to pay for the irons if I decide to buy them. Gonna go back Friday afternoon for another session to compare distances, height, spin, consistency, etc. of the C200s vs my AP1s.

Pretty much ditto what you posted, BuckeyeWalt. My graphite C200's just arrived today from the UPS man. I'll have to wait for the rain to stop to give them a whirl.
But I will say that they look great in person and IMO, the "holes" don't seem distracting at all.

Well, got out late morning to play. Weather was not the best 50* but sunny, ground was very sloppy and the wind was blowing at 10-15 mph. Nevertheless, I joined some guys out for a round. I tried to hit the 7 iron on as many shots as I could. When I was 150 out, 7 iron, 185, 7 iron, 130, knockdown 7, in other words I tried to hit it as much as I could even though some of those shots were not 7 iron shots. So here's how it went:

When I connected with them they were sweet, I mean a flush hit sweet like a connected driver, meaning no vibration at the shaft, no head twisting, just a nick click that was partially muted. The problem I had though was that I didn't connect with it that much. I don't know if it was the graphite shaft, the flex of it, the lightness, the swing weight or what, I just couldn't get consistent. On a par 3 158 yards uphill into the wind, I hit it toward the toe and it still one hopped onto the fringe. On a par 4, I was 165 to the green, hit it on the toe and landed just short to the left of the green with the wind. I would have loved to swing a steel shaft, try a stiff flex graphite and look at adjusting the lie somewhat. Not that I was disappointed with the regular graphite shaft, but just to see what the others feel like. I'm thinking part of the reason why I was hitting them towards the toe so much is that all of my other irons swing at a D2 and they're steel, this is the only graphite shaft that I have (other than a wedge) and it was swinging to a D1. I was constantly changing from my AP1 to the C200 and could never get really comfortable with them. I will add that I never had any issues with a slice or the club feeling too whippy. Plus when we were playing the final holes, the temperature dropped to 44* and no sun. From a players perspective, the slots were hardly noticeable at address and posed no issues. It's going to be in the lower 50's and sunny on Friday, we'll see what happens then. The only other thing that I would have loved to have is either an 8 or a 6 iron to go along with the 7.

Last edited:
Went to the range today (44* but sunny), just to confirm what I think happened with my test club. No issues at all hitting repetitive shots with the 7 iron only. It will be put in play tomorrow again.

Question for those who have these irons. Is there an identifying number on your irons that you register with. I know that Titleist and probably Callaway has that system where I can either call or write in with the number that would bring up the build sheet with the specs of the iron. Just curious!

Sold some musical gear I owned that I no longer need to pay for the irons if I decide to buy them. Gonna go back Friday afternoon for another session to compare distances, height, spin, consistency, etc. of the C200s vs my AP1s.

Take ur cash with you, cause its happening!

The Magic 8 Ball says, "Signs Point to Yes".

Back