Wilson Staff DUO Urethane Golf Balls Review Thread

The biggest difference you see will probably be chipping. When I play the DuoU instead of the normal Duo (very similar to the Supersoft IMO), I have to be very conscious about carrying my chips further. Otherwise I'm left with longer putts.
I expect you'll also find that the DuoU feels a little less soft the the Supersoft.

Do u notice any difference in distance off the driver and irons? I just hope the added spin doesnt factor too much off the tee..

Do u notice any difference in distance off the driver and irons? I just hope the added spin doesnt factor too much off the tee..

Spin off the tee is a bit different than that of around the greens. It is more about compression and less about friction of cover and layers. Therefore, with both balls being low compression, you shouldnt notice a major difference in distance between these two golf balls.

Spin off the tee is a bit different than that of around the greens. It is more about compression and less about friction of cover and layers. Therefore, with both balls being low compression, you shouldnt notice a major difference in distance between these two golf balls.

Ahhh ok, gotcha.. Thanks for the info... Im still a bit of a rookie with ball technology

Ahhh ok, gotcha.. Thanks for the info... Im still a bit of a rookie with ball technology

Happy to help. Good luck with them.

Question...it there a large driver distance between any ball? When I look at comparisons it seems like most are within a 10 yard spread?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Question...it there a large driver distance between any ball? When I look at comparisons it seems like most are within a 10 yard spread?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

There can be dependent on who is hitting it.
FWIW, I think a full club is pretty big.

I still need to give these a try.....everytime I am in a golf shop they don't have them in stock

That's what I've seen after gaming these the last few rounds, the major difference I've seen between them is around the grins and the spin/action/feel. I've loved what I've seen lately when chipping and pitching around the greens as well as once I get around 100 yards and my approaches with my wedges. A great ball for sure!

I've been playing this ball for about a month and really enjoy it. Feels soft, checks very nicely on well struck wedges, and carries well on good strikes with the driver and woods. I don't have any data to validate what I've seen, but it is a very solid 3 piece ball and performs well.

I've been playing this ball for about a month and really enjoy it. Feels soft, checks very nicely on well struck wedges, and carries well on good strikes with the driver and woods. I don't have any data to validate what I've seen, but it is a very solid 3 piece ball and performs well.

That's my take. I've played the ball for my last three or so rounds, and I've left not wanting anything else from the ball. Which to me is what I look for. My technique isn't good enough to tell if a ball is spinning slightly more or less than another, but if I finish a round with no complaints - especially balls just rolling through a green on a well struck partial wedge - I'm happy.

I think I need to find and try a box of these chop-quick like.

I played it for 9 holes and it was just not for me. Lost some distance on the driver and didn't get the "Hop & Stop" that I had hope to get with a Urethane ball. Think I'm better off with a "Distance" ball and play the roll out on the greens.

It's a bit off topic, but what kind of results would you get if W/S put a urethane cover on their original Duo?

When I play important events or tournaments the Duo U or FG Tour are the balls I reach in the bag for.
That says it all for me I think. It's great to have amazing short game spin and true low spin off the driver all in one ball.

When I play important events or tournaments the Duo U or FG Tour are the balls I reach in the bag for.
That says it all for me I think. It's great to have amazing short game spin and true low spin off the driver all in one ball.

My philosophy as well. It's been so wet around here and I have yet to play a tournament that I've only used 1 ball for 15 holes. Definitely not enough to evaluate anything. It felt good, seemed a bit longer than regular Duo, and durability was good. I'm taking them to play Victoria National next week then tournament season begins so they'll get tested hard soon enough.

I played this ball for the first time for 7 holes yesterday (skipped 2) and I came away really impressed. A few initial thoughts. I smoked a few drives as good as I have of late and the distance was still great, definitely on par with the Supersofts. I can definitely see the added spin on approach shots. I managed to get a PW from 115m to stop within a metre from its pitch mark on a green with a slight front to back slope. I will take that from the rollout I'm used to. I dropped a few around the greens and was hitting little 15-20m pitches with LW and was seeing a hop and stop result almost every time.

So the distance is the same, if not better (tick)..... The spin is great (tick). I'm playing 18 holes tomorrow so I will post again after that but I can see myself gaming this ball full time.

These are officially my new gamer ball.... I would recomend to anyone wanting a soft ball that has plenty if spin around the greens. I hit a few SW from around 50m and each time they took a bounce and then stopped dead. I used to play the old Hex Chrome, so its great to go back to being aggressive with the short game...
I will try the B330-rx at some stage but super happy with these.

This might be a silly question but is thr Duo the US equivalent of the DX2 and DX3 we have in europe?
We now have the DX3 Urethane and its touted as a better alternative to the PRO V1

This might be a silly question but is thr Duo the US equivalent of the DX2 and DX3 we have in europe?
We now have the DX3 Urethane and its touted as a better alternative to the PRO V1

Yes, with the exception being the DXn balls in the UK have the cool W/S shield logo on them. The US balls lack the shield, which I still find curious.

Yes, with the exception being the DXn balls in the UK have the cool W/S shield logo on them. The US balls lack the shield, which I still find curious.

Got 3 dozen DX3s shipped for $30/dozen and the shield is a bonus.

Still my favorite ball & I found a great deal on them. Golfballs.com has logo overruns for $24.95/dz.

I need to get some of these. I found one on the course and really enjoyed it tee to green.

Still my favorite ball & I found a great deal on them. Golfballs.com has logo overruns for $24.95/dz.

You may have made my day.

Back