Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
On June 18, 1960, a 29-year-old Arnold Palmer, riding an impressive wave of five wins in five months, stunned onlookers with a closing round 65 in the US Open at Cherry Hills. Sitting seven strokes behind the leader after the third round, Palmer managed to climb from 15th place to 1st with his famed combination of power, precision, and passion. Included in the list of names he managed to best that day were Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus, and Gary Player, a who’s who of what was possibly golf’s most romantic era.

In his bag that day was a set of irons that seemed like they were named just for him: Dynapower. Dynamic. Powerful. Really, what two words could better describe Arnie? In reality, Dynapower irons were introduced four years earlier in 1956, and weren’t named for Palmer at all. Still, no one can deny the seemingly perfect fit they were for him during arguably his most dominant stretch as a professional golfer.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
the irons look very similar to the D9 Forged.

I don’t think they look awful and frankly like the looks better than a couple of the other driver releases this year.

Also neat the Recoil Dart is an option on the iron side.

Really enjoyed this deep dive into the lineup and have to say while I agree with @Hawk assessment on the descriptors, I like what I am seeing here out of Wilson. I do think that messaging for this one should be heavy over the next month with so many new releases hitting the market and I am hopeful we see it.

I kind of like the DYNAPWR badging on the irons :)

I do think that messaging for this one should be heavy over the next month with so many new releases hitting the market and I am hopeful we see it.
Do you think by tapping into the iconic nature of this line we will get a big marketing push or is it too early to say?

Wow this article contained tons of information!!! Excited to see Wilson jump back into releasing clubs and truly hope they become relevant in the market.

Are they basing the naming of draw of golf fans to Arnie Palmer?

Great write up that I enjoyed reading. The Wilson brand name was one of my favorites for decades and two of the 7 different sets of irons I’ve played over the last 40 years have been Wilson Staff’s with the FG V2’s being the most recent. That being said, I have little interest in this release from Wilson. For a $100 more the Paradym story/tech is much more compelling and the looks of these irons are chunky with too much offset for my taste. I’d love to see them succeed with these as I still have a soft spot for Wilson.

The carbon driver at address looks to my eye to be very pleasing. I love the woven carbon look personally and think they've probably outdone some of the other releases we've seen from an aesthetic standpoint.

The price point of the irons is what stood out to me the most, in my head this would be the equivalent of the Aerojet irons from Cobra, but at $300 less in steel. If they perform, I could see the W/S being a bit of a sleeper this year if folks give them a try.

Do you think by tapping into the iconic nature of this line we will get a big marketing push or is it too early to say?

I genuinely have no idea. I would like to think so. I would love to see them hit the core golfers with bold messaging on social media, websites and everywhere else.
I believe at the top they would like to as well. Will it happen? We will find out together :)

I can’t say that I dislike the looks at all. Crown of driver looks good. Irons at least from stock pics look ok. Not to chunky from my perspective anyway

I don't hate it.

Hoping Wilson makes some noise with this product. Really didn't know all the history behind Dynapower, really good read!

Great Writeup @Hawk

I like the look of the Driver crown (not all that different than other Carbon options coming out). The irons seem alright but some of their name choices (Power Holes....really?) are just bad. The Recoil Dart being the stock graphite shaft is intriguing, but nothing about these screams must hit.

Great article @Hawk. Pretty interesting how the adjustable hosel can dramatically change the dispersion. Is this unique to the Wilson drivers or is this seen in all adjustable hosel drivers?

On June 18, 1960, a 29-year-old Arnold Palmer, riding an impressive wave of five wins in five months, stunned onlookers with a closing round 65 in the US Open at Cherry Hills. Sitting seven strokes behind the leader after the third round, Palmer managed to climb from 15th place to 1st with his famed combination of power, precision, and passion. Included in the list of names he managed to best that day were Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus, and Gary Player, a who’s who of what was possibly golf’s most romantic era.

In his bag that day was a set of irons that seemed like they were named just for him: Dynapower. Dynamic. Powerful. Really, what two words could better describe Arnie? In reality, Dynapower irons were introduced four years earlier in 1956, and weren’t named for Palmer at all. Still, no one can deny the seemingly perfect fit they were for him during arguably his most dominant stretch as a professional golfer.

Continue reading...
what a comprehensive write up. It sounds like there is a lot of tech and change going on in the driver. Very curious about the irons as well not the great looking iron that I was expecting but this seems to mirror the gi launch that happens with the other OEMs.

I'll be following and cannot wait to see this in the bay

Great write up @Hawk ! I would like to see this line up in person. Media pictures doesn’t do much for the equipment. The drivers, fw, and hybrids are priced well. The irons are kinda disappointing. Looks like a new badge on the back of the D9. Where if the 60’s Dynapower irons were an inspiration, they should have went the Stealth/Paradym route, and made a hollow blade-like club. I’m truly hoping this can put W/S on the front page, but the critic in me wants to just chalk it up as the status-quo. And, that’s Wilson’s problem. People aren’t wowed enough to take a second look unfortunately.

I like the looks of the driver and wood, but the iron left something to be desired for me. Interested to see how these perform especially at a slightly lower price point then other premium releases.

Great write up and tons of information, a lot more depth to this than just it being Wilson released things. Thanks!

It did spur a question for me though. If 85% of 10+ caps hit to the center toe area - why does the 'club center' on the driver appear to be closer to the heel? Wouldn't it make more sense to move the sweet spot forward a half inch or whatever it would be to mirror where the majority of their audience is making connection?

I genuinely have no idea. I would like to think so. I would love to see them hit the core golfers with bold messaging on social media, websites and everywhere else.
I believe at the top they would like to as well. Will it happen? We will find out together :)

They have to start somewhere but this line was iconic 50ish years ago. The looks of the driver are impressive. Hopefully the pricing will get people to take a chance.

Last edited:
Great write-up on these @Hawk. Pretty good looking driver/FW offerings here, the irons aren’t really moving the needle for me.

I don't hate the looks of the driver. Curious how many people I know will buy one.

Great article @Hawk. Pretty interesting how the adjustable hosel can dramatically change the dispersion. Is this unique to the Wilson drivers or is this seen in all adjustable hosel drivers?

Depends on the driver, but yes it’s a possibility any time you are changing face angle. I think that’s why fitting is important. For example, I like a higher lofted head opened up a little. My son likes lower lofted closed.

I’ll have the Carbon driver by the end of the week, so hopefully we can get some good pics up for you. I am very curious to see how it performs. We’ve heard some good things through the grapevine.

Nice Write up @Hawk
Lot of information about the different clubs.

Got to be honest, I like the "Dynapower" badging across the line.
Like the look of the irons for sure.
Be interesting to see how hard the marketing push is in the next 60 days.

Wow this article contained tons of information!!! Excited to see Wilson jump back into releasing clubs and truly hope they become relevant in the market.

Are they basing the naming of draw of golf fans to Arnie Palmer?

I don’t necessarily think so, but he was a WS Advisory member back around this time and I’m sure there is a segment of consumers that remembers that.

The clubs look very nice. I kinda like the look of the irons.

Good stuff, @Hawk!

Back