Wilson Staff Dynapower Line

Great write up @Hawk ! I would like to see this line up in person. Media pictures doesn’t do much for the equipment. The drivers, fw, and hybrids are priced well. The irons are kinda disappointing. Looks like a new badge on the back of the D9. Where if the 60’s Dynapower irons were an inspiration, they should have went the Stealth/Paradym route, and made a hollow blade-like club. I’m truly hoping this can put W/S on the front page, but the critic in me wants to just chalk it up as the status-quo. And, that’s Wilson’s problem. People aren’t wowed enough to take a second look unfortunately.

I agree - would have loved something that really blew me away in the looks department for the irons.

Great write up and tons of information, a lot more depth to this than just it being Wilson released things. Thanks!

It did spur a question for me though. If 85% of 10+ caps hit to the center toe area - why does the 'club center' on the driver appear to be closer to the heel? Wouldn't it make more sense to move the sweet spot forward a half inch or whatever it would be to mirror where the majority of their audience is making connection?

I can’t say for sure, but they do say their AI program processes thousands of potential impact scenarios to determine how to position variable face thickness.

On June 18, 1960, a 29-year-old Arnold Palmer, riding an impressive wave of five wins in five months, stunned onlookers with a closing round 65 in the US Open at Cherry Hills. Sitting seven strokes behind the leader after the third round, Palmer managed to climb from 15th place to 1st with his famed combination of power, precision, and passion. Included in the list of names he managed to best that day were Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus, and Gary Player, a who’s who of what was possibly golf’s most romantic era.

In his bag that day was a set of irons that seemed like they were named just for him: Dynapower. Dynamic. Powerful. Really, what two words could better describe Arnie? In reality, Dynapower irons were introduced four years earlier in 1956, and weren’t named for Palmer at all. Still, no one can deny the seemingly perfect fit they were for him during arguably his most dominant stretch as a professional golfer.

Continue reading...
Great writeup @Hawk! I especially enjoyed the part about the history of the line going all the way back to Palmer..

Nice writeup @Hawk. Decent criticism of the messaging and brand that unfortunately they've earned, but overall this whole line looks like it could be really promising. I love that they went back to the classic red/black color scheme they're known for. And let's be real - these irons aren't meant to look like their blades or forgings, because they're not. But they're way better looking than the D9 irons. I have the D7s right now and these are solid looking in comparison. Eager to see some in-hand pics.

Driver performance is going to be key. I've always gotten along great with W/S irons... but not the drivers. Ever. Hopefully that'll change this time around.

Looks like a solid lineup. Irons look a bit of a rework of previous Wilson offerings but if it performs with those prices it should hopefully help them get back some of their lost luster. Hopefully they get some idea of a marketing team and figure out how to message for these.

The hybrid is very nice looking. Really good shape and lofts.

Nice writeup @Hawk. Decent criticism of the messaging and brand that unfortunately they've earned, but overall this whole line looks like it could be really promising. I love that they went back to the classic red/black color scheme they're known for. And let's be real - these irons aren't meant to look like their blades or forgings, because they're not. But they're way better looking than the D9 irons. I have the D7s right now and these are solid looking in comparison. Eager to see some in-hand pics.

Driver performance is going to be key. I've always gotten along great with W/S irons... but not the drivers. Ever. Hopefully that'll change this time around.

Thanks for that. Coming from a long time fan of the brand, it’s not always easy to look at things objectively, but I want to look at things from all sides.

This is probably the only time I’ve been legitimately excited to get a Wilson driver in my hands, so they’ve done something right. How it shakes out in terms of feel and performance will be key though. High hopes for sure.

I think these look pretty good. Wilson waited too long to release them, in my opinion. I get that this is release season, but feel like they're going to get lost in the shuffle with the big dogs. A December release would have made more sense to me. Be the only new one available and potentially end up under some Christmas trees.

The woods look nice. The irons, not so much.

they seem lacking though. Not the powerful release I was looking for. Kinda bummed and thinking “that’s it”? The tease and lead up was more interesting than the release.

Last edited:
I think these look pretty good. Wilson waited too long to release them, in my opinion. I get that this is release season, but feel like they're going to get lost in the shuffle with the big dogs. A December release would have made more sense to me. Be the only new one available and potentially end up under some Christmas trees.
That is a tough spot to be in. When we have seen December releases, just as many people say "why release something when 50% of the US can't play". So I understand the early year release to an extent hitting the largest part of the curve of shopping in April and May.

I'm not the player the Dynapower irons are aiming for, but the driver options are nice. I like those.

Those irons are stunning. I love the look. I think Wilson hit the looks part out of the park. Now for testing to see if function follows looks.

The looks are good. I’m sure they will perform well in the hands of most amateurs. Will they get them to the amateurs is the question.

That little kick in the hosel at address on those irons is… well we’ll go with interesting.

@Hawk - Really enjoyed your article.

I am not a Wilson guy, maybe partially because I am a "newer" golfer, but I will say this stuff looks really good, especially the Carbon driver

That little kick in the hosel at address on those irons is… well we’ll go with interesting.
CAD rendering, and we didn't receive the irons to take a closer look. I can say the woods look better in hand than their imagery provided. The Ti model is very clean and the carbon does have a premium look at the renderings don't really offer.

Really well developed writing. I saw pictures yesterday from an Australia golf store. The pictures gave me a bad feeling about the irons. These pictures made a total difference. Love the color and badging. Looking forward to how they play. An instructor I know has hit the Carbon driver and loved it.

i don't know if dynapwr is supposed to be the top of the line for wilson but i would think that they would've given the irons a more premium look for being in the WS line. that being said, they're not ugly but the D9 Forged and Staff CB just look so much better to me.

The woods look pretty solid, and tick the tech boxes for a modern driver. The branding makes sense as you can tell they are trying to make clubs that could win a major. Price is solid, but if I'm buying blind it's going to have to get amazing reviews to buy it over say a $400 Stealth 1. Hopefully they get some traction at fitters to get some sales from "this is as good as x for $50 less."

The irons look fine, but I don't get the branding/messaging. Kind of has a Mustang Mach E vibe. Ain't nobody winning a major with those.

i don't know if dynapwr is supposed to be the top of the line for wilson but i would think that they would've given the irons a more premium look for being in the WS line. that being said, they're not ugly but the D9 Forged and Staff CB just look so much better to me.

Based on the article, I would think these would replace the cast D9 irons, which are solidly GI if not SGI irons. These most likely aren't meant to compete with their forged offerings, which all look amazing.

I guess it’s a decent step for Wilson, and can be an option for some who are drawn to nostalgia and gravitate to the brand.

That said, the driver imo is dated. I’d rather purchase something from one of the bigger golf companies even if it’s a generation or two old over this.

Also would have liked an additional iron model not as firmly in the GI space in addition to this one.

If I am assessing their lineup, these are more a large net cast to hit the widest spectrum of golfers, where as the D9 Forged and Staff Model CB are narrower targeted at a different golfer.

Nice write up Hawk.
Interesting, the irons and the low toe miss sweet spot.

Back