Wilson-Staff FG Tour F5 Irons - THP Review Thread

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
UPDATE
THP Review is up on the home page now. Get all of the information on this set here.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/wilson-staff-fg-tour-f5-irons/

In for review to THP are the new Wilson-Staff FG Tour F5 irons, these irons walk a rather unique classification area under Wilson's F/C/D categories as they really are a bit of a blend in the Feel and Control categories.

In all though, they are aesthetically pretty dang good looking in hand as the satin finish is stellar and held up well this weekend to a LOT of fold and bouncing around in the bag. Compared to the M3's there really seems to be a similar profile but with less offset, its a look at address that blends player with GI quite well as the topline is fairly small and though longer heel to toe than a lot of players irons, its nothing cumbersome at all though. Its said a lot but literally 10 other THP'ers said the exact same thing about these in hand compared to early images we saw, even some who were underwhelmed in the preview thread came away impressed with the looks here after holding them.

THP was sent the FG Tour F5's in 4-GW paired with stiff flex TT DG XP S300's, I'll have more finite specs for everyone when THP gets them in the coming days. We also have some pretty cool stuff working for this one review wise which should be fun for people to read when it all gets done after data collection.

Information from Wilson-Staff on the FG Tour F5 Irons:

The newest forged offering from Wilson Staff achieves crossover status by combining a players compact head shape with Speed Sole distance technology in the longs irons. Now the F5 irons not only look and feel great, but provide even greater performance where it’s needed most.

• Speed Sole Technology - Creates a thin face-to-sole transition that expands the sweet spot lower in the face for faster ball speeds in the long and mid irons.
  • Stabilizing Bar - Provides support behind a thin, responsive face to allow for greater forgiveness while still maintaining shot workability.
  • Forged Feel - 8620 carbon steel is forged for the ultimate in feel, feedback and response.

Specifications:

CLUB3456789PWGW
RH/LHRHRH/LHRH/LHRH/LHRH/LHRH/LHRH/LHRH/LHRH/LH
LOFT212427313539434751
LIE59.5060.0061.0061.5062.0063.0063.5064.0064.00
SWD2D2D2D2D2D2D2D2D2
LENGTH39.2538.7538.2537.7537.2536.7536.2535.7535.50

Shafts: True Temper DG XP (Steel)/Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage LBP85

**3i is special order**
In-Hand Images:

DSC_0548-XL.jpg

DSC_0592-XL.jpg

DSC_0549-XL.jpg

DSC_0550-XL.jpg

DSC_0551-XL.jpg

DSC_0552-XL.jpg

DSC_0553-XL.jpg

DSC_0554-XL.jpg

DSC_0597-XL.jpg

DSC_0600-XL.jpg

DSC_0555-XL.jpg

DSC_0556-XL.jpg

4i:
DSC_0557-XL.jpg

DSC_0558-XL.jpg

DSC_0559-XL.jpg

DSC_0569-XL.jpg

8i:
DSC_0575-XL.jpg

DSC_0577-XL.jpg

DSC_0578-XL.jpg

DSC_0576-XL.jpg

GW:
DSC_0587-XL.jpg

DSC_0589-XL.jpg

DSC_0586-XL.jpg

DSC_0588-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look good.

I have to say they look pretty good, I can't wait to read what you have to say about them

• Staff
Those look good.

They feel better too.

My one issue with the M3 was the sound, they were pretty firm at impact with a more sharp click, these though, pretty muted, to the point that in my rounds it was commented on by 4 or 5 people. Its an addicting sound/feel honestly.

I need to try these out. I think they look fantastic.
Interesting location for the forged placement, easy to see in the bag.

I cant lie, those look really nice

They feel better too.

My one issue with the M3 was the sound, they were pretty firm at impact with a more sharp click, these though, pretty muted, to the point that in my rounds it was commented on by 4 or 5 people. Its an addicting sound/feel honestly.

I love your reviews on this because we seem to see eye to eye on a lot of aesthetics/sounds. The M3 was off putting with the sound for me, but if these are more muted, then I must try these soon.

Awesome photos James!

I find it remarkable how much better your photos turned out than the stock photos, and further, how much better they look in hand without the material 'bubbling' being so easily visible. I think they look fantastic in hand and in the bag.

I'll share the sentiment about the fairly muted sound, but it's a muted flush that seemed to work very well together. My biggest complaint was in the shaft department, as I just don't really understand the decision to go so light. It's tough to make a really fair assessment though, as I've been gaming ~130 gram iron shafts for about a month.

Man these look legit. I like! Can't wait to see a set of these in person.

Great photos as always.
These bad boys look slick in hand and I got to see James fall in love with them first hand on Saturday. Looking forward to reading his thoughts.

Great pictures, James! they do look a little long heel to toe, but like you said, not bad at all. the satin looks great and the topline is quite pleasing to my eye.

I wouldn't be upset to put a set in the bag tomorrow but looking forward to your thoughts.

I love the look of these. They look a little PINGish but thats for sure not a bad thing

I love the look of these. They look a little PINGish but thats for sure not a bad thing

I can see that. A little W/S i25ish.

Dang those are pretty!!!

OP updated with club/set specifications (Length, Loft, Lie, SW, etc.)

I love your reviews on this because we seem to see eye to eye on a lot of aesthetics/sounds. The M3 was off putting with the sound for me, but if these are more muted, then I must try these soon.

Take what you remember there from the M3 and throw it out the window. These really do feel/sound fantastic, IMO its what I wanted desperately for the M3's to hit in that area of focus.

Awesome photos James!

I find it remarkable how much better your photos turned out than the stock photos, and further, how much better they look in hand without the material 'bubbling' being so easily visible. I think they look fantastic in hand and in the bag.

I'll share the sentiment about the fairly muted sound, but it's a muted flush that seemed to work very well together. My biggest complaint was in the shaft department, as I just don't really understand the decision to go so light. It's tough to make a really fair assessment though, as I've been gaming ~130 gram iron shafts for about a month.

Thanks buddy, I love that we both unwrapped them and said the same thing about them looking a TON better.

The XP choice surprises me, I honestly anticipated a DG Pro for a set like this profile wise, but these guys are WAY smarter than me.

Its a good looking iron. I may need to give them a swing. I never really consider W/S when looking for clubs and the new line up and is starting to creep into my thoughts.

Really like the looks of these. Loft wise very similar to other options in this category. I liked the m3 and the click was a little annoying when compared to the v4 and some other options out there. I will be paying attention to this review as I want to put some Wilson's on my bag next year

Really like the looks of these. Loft wise very similar to other options in this category. I liked the m3 and the click was a little annoying when compared to the v4 and some other options out there. I will be paying attention to this review as I want to put some Wilson's on my bag next year

I know we will get the inevitable, "traditional" vs "jacked" loft comments eventually, but I'm with you, for the category I would have expected nothing else. Plus, with the sole tech, I think several will see some of the distance gains they would want compared to, say, the M3/V4.

Take what you remember there from the M3 and throw it out the window. These really do feel/sound fantastic, IMO its what I wanted desperately for the M3's to hit in that area of focus.

Thanks buddy, I love that we both unwrapped them and said the same thing about them looking a TON better.

The XP choice surprises me, I honestly anticipated a DG Pro for a set like this profile wise, but these guys are WAY smarter than me.

Do you know of any free shaft upgrades available?

Do you know of any free shaft upgrades available?

Nope, nor do I know if there are any at this time outside of the XP and KK. Will send in an inquiry though.

I know we will get the inevitable, "traditional" vs "jacked" loft comments eventually, but I'm with you, for the category I would have expected nothing else. Plus, with the sole tech, I think several will see some of the distance gains they would want compared to, say, the M3/V4.

Hopefully we can avoid the "jacked" lofts in this review and for as long as possible on any iron review. So much other things that go into those numbers. I have an idea of what distances I see from certain lofts whether it be a 7i or 8i and the key thing is to know your distance and play your distances.

overall these irons stand out and the sole tech is pretty interesting. I am huge fan of where w/s is headed and from what I have experienced with the proto irons and what they have with these 2016 should be another solid year

nice look to the clubs

Fantastic looking irons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful clubs. I would like to say that I'd like to try them, but my game isn't quite ready for the FG line.

This is just incentive to get better. There aren't many super-game improvement clubs that I'd describe as sexy.

Back