Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 Irons Review Thread

These look fantastic!!!

Wilson is just brining it. Love the the sounds of these

They Look great

Hit these at #StaffProto and these WILL be in my bag, soon. Its not an option.

The launch I saw, particularly off of the long irons (5/6) was stellar for me, and the feel is phenomenal.
That is awesome to hear, they look phenomenal!

I know THPers at both staff proto and club test were able to test these so looking forward to feedback.

Biggest thing for me is looks first, I'm not at all a fan of the polished chrome look based on the wear it tends to show on forged irons, but, this is the second set out this cycle that is making me overlook that fact. Plus, when you think W/S, you think irons (though I TRULY think they are going to change that SOON with many people) and with that most think/visualize that classic polished chrome look.

That said, the footprint is crazy to the eyes in hand. There is a decent sized sole to the head but that topline is rolled nicely which really makes it look/seem pretty dang slim overall. The cavity is clean as can be, and the fact that the mass in the cavity is NOT badging but rather actual milled material behind the hitting area is very cool to the eyes. Its modern, but its classic.

The use of weight in the heads is the kicker for me, while it was used in the V4's, the fact that they have now split the tungsten sole weighting in the longest irons of the set to heel/toe while keeping it centered up in the mid irons makes the playability of those two parts of the set something surprising. After getting to hit the set on the range next to my 765's I came away stunned by the ball flight I was seeing off of the V6's comparatively, particularly with the AMT's being the shaft of choice. I do believe the spin was up based on what I was seeing, but only marginally, and for me its a very needed thing in an iron like these where you want to hit golf shots. Feel wise, there is no harsh click to them, rather its just a super smooth and muted "flush" sensation to impact. Even then though, I got vibrational feedback enough to know exactly where my miss was heel/toe/high/low.

I really do plan on spending more time with these, as soon as I can. There is playability, function, and classiness all rolled into one. Are they super ultra forgiving? No. But, for the player they are aimed at, they offer form, function, and performance.

Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 Irons Review Thread

So for those that hit these at staff Proto how do they compare to the F5 irons overall?

Biggest thing for me is looks first, I'm not at all a fan of the polished chrome look based on the wear it tends to show on forged irons, but, this is the second set out this cycle that is making me overlook that fact. Plus, when you think W/S, you think irons (though I TRULY think they are going to change that SOON with many people) and with that most think/visualize that classic polished chrome look.

That said, the footprint is crazy to the eyes in hand. There is a decent sized sole to the head but that topline is rolled nicely which really makes it look/seem pretty dang slim overall. The cavity is clean as can be, and the fact that the mass in the cavity is NOT badging but rather actual milled material behind the hitting area is very cool to the eyes. Its modern, but its classic.

The use of weight in the heads is the kicker for me, while it was used in the V4's, the fact that they have now split the tungsten sole weighting in the longest irons of the set to heel/toe while keeping it centered up in the mid irons makes the playability of those two parts of the set something surprising. After getting to hit the set on the range next to my 765's I came away stunned by the ball flight I was seeing off of the V6's comparatively, particularly with the AMT's being the shaft of choice. I do believe the spin was up based on what I was seeing, but only marginally, and for me its a very needed thing in an iron like these where you want to hit golf shots. Feel wise, there is no harsh click to them, rather its just a super smooth and muted "flush" sensation to impact. Even then though, I got vibrational feedback enough to know exactly where my miss was heel/toe/high/low.

I really do plan on spending more time with these, as soon as I can. There is playability, function, and classiness all rolled into one. Are they super ultra forgiving? No. But, for the player they are aimed at, they offer form, function, and performance.

These irons show W/S commitment to visible tech. Even in players irons, there is room for technology. The great minds in Chicago don't believe it's just about lofts and shaft length.

So for those that hit thesd at staff Proto how do they compare to the F5 irons overall?

The F5 irons feel nice and are more forgiving than these, and more of a crossover set, whereas the V6 are definitely player's irons with superb feel, but with a good bit of forgiveness for an iron of that profile.

That's a fantastic looking iron. Way above my playing paygrade, but sure is beautiful.

Great looking set of irons!!!!

As said, these were on the range when we were warming up at #StaffProto, though I did not hit them. I handled them a ton on Friday, both in the intro meeting and also at the innovation center. I can't comment on the performance, though everyone who hit them had exactly the same feedback, these certainly pass the eye test. I will get more time with them as soon as I can, and may end up playing them.

Those irons look fantastic! Don't know if I have the game for them but I'll definitely give these a hit if I can find some when they come out.

As said, these were on the range when we were warming up at #StaffProto, though I did not hit them. I handled them a ton on Friday, both in the intro meeting and also at the innovation center. I can't comment on the performance, though everyone who hit them had exactly the same feedback, these certainly pass the eye test. I will get more time with them as soon as I can, and may end up playing them.

No confirmation on this, but Vrska might give you three extra strokes just for playing V6 irons. Instead of taking 3 strokes. Not saying, just saying.

No confirmation on this, but Vrska might give you three extra strokes just for playing V6 irons. Instead of taking 3 strokes. Not saying, just saying.

I'll take a small amount of pride knowing that my name has been immortalized in THP lore...

I'll take a small amount of pride knowing that my name has been immortalized in THP lore...

You spelt "Stephen Ames" wrong. That's not fair.

dd3aa11802ee9399d69fc5af3fb45744.jpg

45389a3e9a54b6249ec1f754df8bfa4f.jpg

For Tapatalk...

I seriously can't stop looking at these. The badging is just phenomenal. I wish I was better at golf so I could play these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are some fantastic looking irons!

I seriously can't stop looking at these. The badging is just phenomenal. I wish I was better at golf so I could play these.

Was thinking the same thing when Chet posted the Tapatalk pic.

Just awesome looking irons. Don't know if my game would do them justice, but I'd be willing to give them a go!

Was thinking the same thing when Chet posted the Tapatalk pic.

Let's split a set and then when we get mad at our games we can send it to the other person for awhile. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back