Wilson Staff Model Golf Balls and Baller Box

Is it just me but what's with the name Model? Model what? Just call it Wilson Staff. Seems very strange.

I'm curious who sets the prices at W/S golf? The Cortex was priced high and now these golf balls.
Agree with this... For a company with little following and and new product, tough to price yourself at the high end with no promotion or tester. I also think they need to include a Wilson item $50/ box is not a good mkt price unless they are doing BOGO of some sort 3/1 2/1 as the other golf ball winners are doing. I mean drc is hurting and offering huge savings not sure I would ever feel the need to try something for $50 when soooo many other great alternatives are out there.

Pricing a single dozen $2 more than the normal price of the most expensive/popular ball on the market is a little bold. And with the Buy 3/Get 1 Free offer Titleist is running you can get 4 dz Pro V for $9 more than 3 dz Staff. It needs to be a hell of a ball to compete with that. I really think players will not like the logo on the ball either. It's too big. You'd be surprised at how much a little detail like that can affect a player's decision on which product to buy.
This is pretty much how I read it. This isn't my price range ball at any rate but if I am going into that top of the line ball I'm not paying more for it by joining a subscription.

Wilson management seems to just not get it. $50 for a new golf ball that comes in the "Baller Box". $50 is much too high for their brand recognition and how many golfers want their golf balls to come in the "Baller Box"? Are you kidding me? What are we, 15 years old?

I grew up playing 1200 GE irons and like the idea of Wilson golf, but they seem to have trouble getting out of their own way. Wilson is very unfortunate to have Gary Woodland. Take advantage of it!

Dave

I went to the W/S website to take a look at these golf balls. Not including various colors and an older generation of the 50 Elite, they offer 14 different golf balls currently! Are there that many different types of golfers to warrant that many different offerings? Sorry, just a side note.

Is it just me but what's with the name Model? Model what? Just call it Wilson Staff. Seems very strange.
Because when you are a Baller, all you pull is Models.

looks like my military discount puts them at $43....

So, Wilson/Staff Staff? Kinda like ATM Machine? (Automatic Teller Machine Machine) 😆

So did Wilson abandon the "Baller Box" moniker? If the plan was to go with something that bold, I presume then there would be a willingness to lean into it and have some fun. For example, and strictly as a hypothetical, have a monthly perk which plays it up:

Month 1: Entourage. We know that a big baller and shot caller like yourself needs a good entourage. But you can't have your crew playing inferior equipment. This month, we are sending a free box to a member of your entourage. Send us the address, and we will hook them up.

Month 2: Bottle Service. Ballers get bottle service. This month we will be sending you a Wilson water bottle to rep out on the course. Stay hydrated, fam.

Month 3: Baller's Bling. Free ball marker.

Month 4: Get that Bag. Free golf ball bag.

Month 5: VIP's Only. Access to a special finish set of irons like they did with the V6 Raw.

I could go on all day......
Please keep going. Please

I started my day off yesterday with this same thought. Their subscription model does not matter if the ball isn’t good. Considering the class it’s in based on price alone it better be really good.
To WIlson’s credit or luck they have received a lot of publicity here at THP with this launch. It is odd no other outlet is mentioning it. For maybe three weeks prior to the ball introduction there wasn’t a mention of the brand. Good or bad news helps a brand.

I started my day off yesterday with this same thought. Their subscription model does not matter if the ball isn’t good. Considering the class it’s in based on price alone it better be really good.
To WIlson’s credit or luck they have received a lot of publicity here at THP with this launch. It is odd no other outlet is mentioning it. For maybe three weeks prior to the ball introduction there was a mention of the brand. Good or bad news helps a brand.

For now, according to Wilson, the subscription model is suspended and it is just a straight purchase of golf balls reducing in price as you buy more boxes. We updated the article yesterday with those details.

The website has been updated as well, showing "subscription service coming soon".

Ok, so they're now copying the Snell price structure - except all the prices are higher for an unproven product.

Sorry W/S. Swing and a miss.

I actually think their subscription idea was better overall, they just didnt put any real thought into it.
I would actually be more inclined to play a Wilson ball than the snell based on what Frank has been doing the past few years.

UPDATE

Received notice from Wilson that they are going to suspend the Baller Box program and just offer the Staff Model in one month trial and the more you buy, the more you save.

Price Breakdown for Staff Model 1 DZ Trial Baller Box:

• Buy 1 for $49.99
  • Buy 2 for $47.49 each and save 6%
  • Buy 3 for $44.99 each and save 11%

Super curious about THPers thoughts on this new setup and pricing structure.
Thought: This is what should have been the deal to start with, whoever green lit “baller box” is either trying too hard to sound cool or just out of creativity and care.

This is better. Still not great as I think they need to be 39.99 to compete, But better.

Thought: This is what should have been the deal to start with, whoever green lit “baller box” is either trying too hard to sound cool or just out of creativity and care.

This is better. Still not great as I think they need to be 39.99 to compete, But better.

I will go both ways in this one.

First, I agree, releasing a new tour golf ball that has promise has to come with either intrigue (I talked about that above) or price. It can't be intrigue solely based on price, because without marketing dollars, that falls flat (PXG made that work due to the latter).

Second, I think bad name aside, a box could work for Wilson fans. Think of it like this. Box costs $25 shipped. Let's say for 6 months you get a box delivered every month to your house and in it is always a dozen golf balls. Then in month one you might get a glove with it. Month two comes with a hat. Month 3 maybe its a coupon for 50% off another dozen balls or 25% off coupon for spending $100. Month 4 comes with a towel and then month five they drop a golf bag on you. Then month 6 they give you a small coupon to renew.

While I dont think the subscription ball service works, I do think pure subscription loyalty with fun can work. I believe Callaway did that for a couple of years and other companies could do, in limited fashion. In my mind, it comes down to paying attention to the core golfer and your audience.

I will go both ways in this one.

First, I agree, releasing a new tour golf ball that has promise has to come with either intrigue (I talked about that above) or price. It can't be intrigue solely based on price, because without marketing dollars, that falls flat (PXG made that work due to the latter).

Second, I think bad name aside, a box could work for Wilson fans. Think of it like this. Box costs $25 shipped. Let's say for 6 months you get a box delivered every month to your house and in it is always a dozen golf balls. Then in month one you might get a glove with it. Month two comes with a hat. Month 3 maybe its a coupon for 50% off another dozen balls or 25% off coupon for spending $100. Month 4 comes with a towel and then month five they drop a golf bag on you. Then month 6 they give you a small coupon to renew.

While I dont think the subscription ball service works, I do think pure subscription loyalty with fun can work. I believe Callaway did that for a couple of years and other companies could do, in limited fashion. In my mind, it comes down to paying attention to the core golfer and your audience.
The model/idea you described I’d totally agree would be a way to make it actually enticing and incentivize people to give it a go.

“Baller Box” was just SUCH a bad green lit name.

The model/idea you described I’d totally agree would be a way to make it actually enticing and incentivize people to give it a go.

Like you I still do not believe a subscription golf ball service solely as the name implies works overall for the masses, but brand fans can have some fun in other ways for sure if someone is set on subscription.

I go back to the intrigue and how to create it and that is where Staff Model as a whole seems to fall a bit flat, and it really doesn't have to.

Like you I still do not believe a subscription golf ball service solely as the name implies works overall for the masses, but brand fans can have some fun in other ways for sure if someone is set on subscription.

I go back to the intrigue and how to create it and that is where Staff Model as a whole seems to fall a bit flat, and it really doesn't have to.
Heck no it doesn’t. So many ways to add perceived value to the consumer, while not giving up the farm. Seems marketing 101 to me. :unsure:

I can not tell you why I like the Wilson brand or why I want to see them succeed. I played a set of Wilson irons way back when and liked the Duo U and even like the cheaper Duo surlyn balls. I liked both versions of Driver vs. Driver and played the Triton in 2018. I could easily play the C-200 or C-300 irons if I was in the market and the Cortex is a good product as well. The blade irons and forged wedges seem to have a following online but its rare to see them in the wild.

Eight pages of conversation on a new Wilson product would normally be great but everyone seems confused and nobody is clamoring to try the ball. Wilson Golf needs a refresh in the worst way, they have great products in place. They have a storied name and a huge parent company behind them to make strides in the golf industry but no direction it seems.

Pass. In the brand emotion wars I am a ways off on warming up to modern Wilson. And ball is such a personal choice. I don’t see anything here, pricing included, that incentives me to open my wallet to try this ball.

I went to the W/S website to take a look at these golf balls. Not including various colors and an older generation of the 50 Elite, they offer 14 different golf balls currently! Are there that many different types of golfers to warrant that many different offerings? Sorry, just a side note.
WIlson does offer a number of lower priced balls. I wonder how they sell? And I wonder if cutting some of them would help the low end perception.

I can not tell you why I like the Wilson brand or why I want to see them succeed. I played a set of Wilson irons way back when and liked the Duo U and even like the cheaper Duo surlyn balls. I liked both versions of Driver vs. Driver and played the Triton in 2018. I could easily play the C-200 or C-300 irons if I was in the market and the Cortex is a good product as well. The blade irons and forged wedges seem to have a following online but its rare to see them in the wild.

Eight pages of conversation on a new Wilson product would normally be great but everyone seems confused and nobody is clamoring to try the ball. Wilson Golf needs a refresh in the worst way, they have great products in place. They have a storied name and a huge parent company behind them to make strides in the golf industry but no direction it seems.
Eight pages of conversation and we don’t know if the ball itself is any good. Somebody go hit one and let us know. I will say I love that the font is consistent with the Staff irons. Almost like they had a plan.

So it seems like sentiment building is negative in this thread, Soni think its imperative to get this R&D miracle ball with all the technology into golfers hands. It seems like Bridgestone (sorry to keep referencing them but their roll out was awesome) was sending out tester balls to everyone with vfit and all Instagram users and bloggers to write about. That gained a lot of buzz and led to success. Srixon did it with trial packs. I don't think subscription and $50 boxes will lead to mass adoption and creates a product that people don't know about... They need people to play, compare and praise it and quickly.

UPDATE

Received notice from Wilson that they are going to suspend the Baller Box program and just offer the Staff Model in one month trial and the more you buy, the more you save.

Price Breakdown for Staff Model 1 DZ Trial Baller Box:

• Buy 1 for $49.99
  • Buy 2 for $47.49 each and save 6%
  • Buy 3 for $44.99 each and save 11%

Super curious about THPers thoughts on this new setup and pricing structure.
This is more digestible, however my original pushback on the pricing strategy is still there. I think the price point needs to be lower in year one to get the ball in more golfer’s hands.

Last edited:
This seems like a big mistake to me. I guess I don't see why Wilson thinks people would spend more money on an unproven and unknown ball instead of something like a ProV, Bridgestone or Callaway. Even more of you're ordering a ball online why wouldn't you go with something like Snell that is proven and embraced and significantly cheaper? It doesn't sound like a very well thought out plan.
<Cough> Srixon too...

Back