Wilson's New Cut Through Slot Irons

Shakey

#TheGolfWhisperer
Reaction score
Handicap
10.7 Index
Looks like Wilson has released an updated version of their old Reflex Slot irons.

Only place I can find these is online at Dick's Sporting Goods & there's not much info there. They are Wilson, not Wilson Staff. So I guess they're targeting the big box store market.

The 1st question I would ask Wilson Staff if I got into the Chicago event is, "Why didn't they incorporate a slotted iron into their new line up since the company has a history with it?"
14d0dg9.jpg

Last edited:
They look good. Wonder how they hit.

Currently $199.98 if purchased online.

For 199.98 set of irons, they look pretty good to me.

I assume these are from Wilson and not Wilson Staff correct?

I saw these at Dick's the other day too. They are not Wilson Staff, but just Wilson. They are under $200 and did not impress me.
Can't figure out why DSG would have these and not the Wilson Staff line. They don't even sell Wilson Staff golf balls.

The DSG by me sells both the Duo's and Fifty Elite golf balls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Golf Galaxy here has just the Duos, didn't see any WS at DSG.

They look fantastic for $200 irons

They look good, wonder how they perform?

I think they might be trying to ride the "speed pocket" wave and hoping to have snag some of the entry market with these.

They look good, wonder how they perform?

I think they might be trying to ride the "speed pocket" wave and hoping to have snag some of the entry market with these.

To be fair to Wilson, they did produce the first "speed pocket" irons some while ago ...

To be fair to Wilson, they did produce the first "speed pocket" irons some while ago ...

I know this and remember the whole discussion when TM started producing irons with the built in pocket.

If I remember correctly Wilson wasn't very successful with those irons and going back to that design now that the marketing machine "TM" has had success seems like riding the coat tails of the jacket they made but someone else is wearing.

Wilson Staff Golf is their higher end golf equipment, just plain Wilson clubs are the ones you see at K-Mart, Walmart, etc. that have given them somewhat of a bad reputation.
I don't understand why DSG would stock their lower end clubs over the good stuff.

I was going to reply moosejaa that DSG gets the less accomplished player but that probably is not correct. Wilson as a company must sell DSG a ton of stuff from basketballs to tennis stuff football practice pants. I think Wilson should say no to giving them just Wilson stuff versus Staff BUT IT MIGHT COST THEM IN OTHER AREAS.
Outside of really crappy discounters golf lines can sell to Target, Walmart,Kmart and maybe a few others. Those deals are big volume low margin sales but they allow companies the money to make the better stuff. Wilson would fold if they replied on just golf stores in todays retail enviroment.

I thought for sure this was an April Fool's day gag, then I looked at my calendar and saw that we are a day early.

I wonder how they hit?

Not sure Wilson Staff would want to revive the Reflex, as they are bringing back Dynapower, which was a much more powerful brand.

Interesting. Not the prettiest I've seen but looks better than the average Wilson (non Staff) stuff. What I like most is the open-mindedness of HP posters, though. This same post at other golf forums would have been flamed to death by now with posts about K-Mart Specials on shovels and whatnot. Always bugs me that some people think there is only one way to skin a cat (and only one type of cat!).

I'm saving up (I think) for some X-Hot 2's so I likely won't give these a try but if someone does, I would love to hear about it.

I was going to reply moosejaa that DSG gets the less accomplished player but that probably is not correct. Wilson as a company must sell DSG a ton of stuff from basketballs to tennis stuff football practice pants. I think Wilson should say no to giving them just Wilson stuff versus Staff BUT IT MIGHT COST THEM IN OTHER AREAS.
Outside of really crappy discounters golf lines can sell to Target, Walmart,Kmart and maybe a few others. Those deals are big volume low margin sales but they allow companies the money to make the better stuff. Wilson would fold if they replied on just golf stores in todays retail enviroment.

I think there's something to be said for having something on the shelf at that $199 price point, for the folks who get out maybe once or twice a year, and maybe to the range now and then. Wilson is a brand with some name recognition (maybe even more than someone like Top Flite to someone who's not really into golf) who can fill that spot.

The club heads and technology are fine. It's the shafts that bring the value down. Normally Wilson Staff goes with the Tt105 uniflex. The sales rep at Dicks says they're selling fast. They probably hit OK and would be fine as a beginner's set of irons. Didn't demo them though but I might hit the 6 iron next time I'm in Dicks but they do intrigue me for some reason.

Wilson Staff is in a great position. With new irons,woods, putters, balls and an awesome Nexus bag it will have a huge sales increase. Still they have an even bigger upside when they get back in to places like Golf Smith, Dicks, Golf Galaxy and the like.
It does strike me as strange that Wilson does not use the leverage of all the basketballs, baseballs, gloves, volleyballs and accessory items to get a better presence in golf. The way the Staff line is going it would just be good business for Dick's. I assume their buying cycle is such that they won't need a new golf vendor until Winter/Spring of 2015. If Staff just gave them old technology in a repackaged form like these slotted irons they could do a nice little business and not affect the better clubs at the mom and pop store down the street.

Wilson Staff is in a great position. With new irons,woods, putters, balls and an awesome Nexus bag it will have a huge sales increase. Still they have an even bigger upside when they get back in to places like Golf Smith, Dicks, Golf Galaxy and the like.
It does strike me as strange that Wilson does not use the leverage of all the basketballs, baseballs, gloves, volleyballs and accessory items to get a better presence in golf. The way the Staff line is going it would just be good business for Dick's. I assume their buying cycle is such that they won't need a new golf vendor until Winter/Spring of 2015. If Staff just gave them old technology in a repackaged form like these slotted irons they could do a nice little business and not affect the better clubs at the mom and pop store down the street.

These irons aren't from W/S however

That assumption on buying cycle is not accurate.
Can you expand on the bolded?
One more thing to add is that these are not Wilson Staff clubs.

I realize they're not Wilson Staff but the lower end Wilson loose clubs like hybrids and older fat shafts and some iron sets are still quality. They're not zinc/aluminum but stainless. The lower quality lies in the shafts.

JB, I did not bold anything in my reply. Not sure why it is bold now. I have sold athletic footwear to Dicks and other big box retail stores for many years. I was using the time frame it takes to book the orders on running shoes and get them here from China or wherever the product is produced. I understand now that golf must have shorter timeframes to get product to market. Still with golf being a Spring/Summer sport I guessed most of the buying decisions and open to buy dollars are spent.
Both you and Blugold are correct the clubs are not Wilson Staff.My mistake.I know that while companies like Taylor Made and Callaway can go to Dicks with big marketing dollars it seems that Wilson Sports could use the good will it has built in many sports over many years to get a chance with Wilson Staff.Wilson also has some big dollars to market itself with at least from a full company perspective. I think both Wilson Staff and Wilson golf can exist and sell well at Dicks as do Callaway and TopFlite.
Sometimes, I confess I am too much of a Wilson Staff guy for my own good.Just love what the brand represents and want others to understand how good the product is.

JB, I did not bold anything in my reply. Not sure why it is bold now. I have sold athletic footwear to Dicks and other big box retail stores for many years. I was using the time frame it takes to book the orders on running shoes and get them here from China or wherever the product is produced. I understand now that golf must have shorter timeframes to get product to market. Still with golf being a Spring/Summer sport I guessed most of the buying decisions and open to buy dollars are spent.
Both you and Blugold are correct the clubs are not Wilson Staff.My mistake.I know that while companies like Taylor Made and Callaway can go to Dicks with big marketing dollars it seems that Wilson Sports could use the good will it has built in many sports over many years to get a chance with Wilson Staff.Wilson also has some big dollars to market itself with at least from a full company perspective. I think both Wilson Staff and Wilson golf can exist and sell well at Dicks as do Callaway and TopFlite.
Sometimes, I confess I am too much of a Wilson Staff guy for my own good.Just love what the brand represents and want others to understand how good the product is.

I bolded the quote to ask the question.
You said "the way the Staff line is going it would just be good business for Dicks".
That is the part I would like to hear expanded on.

JB Sorry I did not understand.What I was trying to say was that with the very positive direction Wilson Staff is going in they would be wise to trust in Wilson's golf products like they do Wilson products in baseball, tennis,volleyball and basketball.
I believe Wilson Staff has developed and produced the best and most complete line of golf products in the industry in 2014.
In irons each of their offerings are awesome.From FG M3,C100,FG100,FGV2 and everything else.When you look at the breath of just the irons it is stunning more dealers don't feature it.
In balls the Duo set the standard that Callaway and others are chasing. FG Tour ball is great too. Vizor Level 2 putters are unique and offer a real technology.
The Nexus bag is a best in class item. Again WS was not afraid to step out and try something different, something better. The black FG Tour wedge is a killer too.
I love iconic brands. I think golf was the loser when brands like McGregor become a house brand. Wilson has the ability and the people in place to compete. I look forward to more customers of all sizes joining the Staff.

Back