Video Win a Cobra AeroJet Driver – The Worst Golf Podcast Episode 28

Great show JB! Glad to hear some news about the Titleist Experience this year and your background on why experiences are done the way they are. And yeah, sometimes I think my "passion" is more "disease" but I wouldn't trade it for the world! There's just something about this game that can't be duplicated by any other sport or activity. There's NOTHING like piping a drive, clipping a perfectly struck wedge, or burying a putt for birdie or eagle (or hell, sometimes even bogey 🤣). And the variety in golf (both in equipment and locale) is unmatched.

Finally diving into the replay on this. So many ads on YouTube, but finally there was one that I just watched. Normally I try to skip as fast as I can the HBO commercials that play over and over.
But they just ran an MMT commercial. I just let that one run to completion.

Just finished and great I mean Awful podcast!!
My passion comes from always wanting to improve but also spending time with Friends is what life is about!

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
When I think passion, Golf is just so addictive. You can play like all round and hit one incredible shot and then chase that high until it happens again. Golf can be infuriating too. An 1/8” here or there in setup can jack you up but we practice and practice.

I don’t remember when I started but I just remember playing lefty with my mom’s clubs as a pre-teen and going and playing with my dad and his buddies probably once every few months when they would play. As I grew into a teen, I outgrew my mom’s left clubs and then started playing with my dad’s righty clubs. I have played righty ever since even though I do everything in life and sports left handed and I’m left eye dominate.

I have had seasons of golf in my life. I played sporadic until I started my career and started having days off during the week. My big sports have always been fishing and hunting. I played and coached softball until I injured my Achilles. After that I picked golf back up and when I did it was on. Playing 2-3 days a week and I got down to around a 10 handicap. Played feverish til I bought a new fishing boat and then took a hiatus. Didn’t play but about once a year for 5-6 years. All of a sudden got invited by a buddy to play and the fever was on again. This time golf has really consumed me. It’s all I watch on tv or sm. THP is always been awesome. I hit balls in my yard everyday it’s not raining and play every week. Putting on the Perfect putt everyday.

I guess there’s worse things to be consumed by. My wife just rolls her eyes . I wish her or my kids had any interest at all but they don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got to watch this afternoon. It was the absolute worst, as usual. :LOL:

The question about passion was thought provoking, and I spent some time turning it over in my mind. I'm not sure I can point to one thing about golf that drives the passion, it's a sum of all things. Spending time outdoors in a beautiful environment, the camaraderie with friends, the perpetual challenge of a game I'll never master, the feeling when I hit a well struck shot or sink a long putt, the elation when I shoot a good score and the desire to come back and avenge it when I shoot a bad one. It's a respite and a refuge, the fact that I can put all the other stuff in life out of my mind for 3 or 4 hours and just go enjoy myself. It's an activity you can start enjoying at a young age, and continue to enjoy it well into old age - and honestly, you don't even have to be very good at it to enjoy it! The challenge of the game evolves over time, but it never goes away. All those things together create the passion.

You guys are really making me think.
Some great thoughts on passion.

As I said in the live chat during the show. I absolutely love taking in the beauty of the course, so peaceful and beautiful. I also have a passion for being competitive but not the way you think. Golf is just unconquerable. The ride to constantly get better and beat a game that’s unbeatable is such a fun ride. And I’d be remiss if I forgot to mention the quality time with friends sharing all of the above.

As I said in the live chat during the show. I absolutely love taking in the beauty of the course, so peaceful and beautiful. I also have a passion for being competitive but not the way you think. Golf is just unconquerable. The ride to constantly get better and beat a game that’s unbeatable is such a fun ride. And I’d be remiss if I forgot to mention the quality time with friends sharing all of the above.
That is such a great line, Golf Is Unconquerable

Finally able to tune in this morning. Ironic to me that the topic of passion kicked off the show as I have really been thinking about this a lot as of late with some things happening in life. It really is hard to put it into words or explain to people.

As I sit and think about it I too am not sure where it came from but I can go back 20+ years and realize at some point it became something I loved. I took a class at Golfsmith where I learned to build clubs, I played golf with my dad and his friends ever Sunday and even built my own set from components.

Then life changed and I quit the game for about 6-8 years. I focused on another sport and my family. It wasn’t until I found THP that my passion was reignited and has only gotten grown over my time here. Something about this game and equipment drives me. I used to think it was the challenge of the game, you vs the course which is a different challenge every time out but I think it’s more than that

I used to think it was the challenge of the game, you vs the course which is a different challenge every time out but I think it’s more than that
This is where I am stuck. It is the challenge, it is the idea that perfection is impossible. But there is something else. I think for me part of it is the social, but in a different way than just being with friends. I’m convinced I can figure this out, but i’m at a loss currently.

I started playing golf as an adult, so I can't look back at some clear history and moment when my passion for the game started. I'd been intrigued for a while, but never got my butt up to try. I'd played competitive sports since I was 6 years old, different sports, some at higher levels than others. But I was so used to competing and training to be better and be of use to my team.

When I tried golf, it instantly hooked me with the improvement possibility. Even as an adult starting from zero, I could see and feel progress. There was and is an illusion, that I could be almost as good as some really great players. I trained, I played, I spent a ton of time getting better. And I loved it. The singular great shots, sunk 50 footers or striped tee shots were awesome, but the best part was and is when I can see myself getting more consistent, not fearing a shot but approaching it with confidence. That keeps me coming back.

I enjoy the social rounds and playing with a good group, but I equally enjoy the solitary dew sweeper rounds where it's just me and the course. I'm trying to best myself as well as the course layout and I take immense joy in doing it. As some others have said, I also enjoy taking my mind off everything else for the 2-4 hours that I'm on the round. Or even on the range. When I'm golfing, I'm not worrying, I'm relaxing and recovering. And that's the real driver behind my passion nowadays.

Reactions: JB
This is where I am stuck. It is the challenge, it is the idea that perfection is impossible. But there is something else. I think for me part of it is the social, but in a different way than just being with friends. I’m convinced I can figure this out, but i’m at a loss currently.
Perfection is impossible even for the pros. There is something beautiful yet frustrating about it too haha

As a 5th grader we moved along side a golf course. Nobody played golf in the family. I would go to the course and swim the pond and rake a mud bog creek and find golf balls. Dad would take them to work and sell them. I was the richest 10 year old around. We'd go to Ocean City, NJ on vacation and I'd play this mini golf course. I got so that I could score a one on every hole if proper execution. But the 18th, a Seal with a spinning ball with hole in it up a ramp. I had that baby nailed. So I'd play make a 1 on 18, win a free game and replay. Did this many times in a few days. Then I show up another day, pay play win free game and play again and make 1 on 18 and go to play again, guy at counter says sorry, look at sign...Sign says can't win free game off playing with free game ticket....That sign was applicable to one person.....Me That's when my passion was created.
The course across street was a Masonic course. Dad was a Mason. I got a membership and off I went. Every day from M-F. Some days I'd walk numerous rounds. All from the creation of passion from mini golf in OC.

Some very deep comments here. For me Golf was a game of options, a Thinking Man's game. You don't just grab a Club and hit it straight. Fade, Draw, Choke down, hit it high, or keep low. It would take me away from anything else going on in my life once I stood on 1st Tee.
Now I get to enjoy it all over again with one of my Son's who also enjoys the game.
Thanks Hackers and Worst Podcast.

Really enjoyed reading these passion posts everybody. Thank you for sharing

Do I need this t shirt?
IMG_3437.jpeg

Back