toohottie

Reaction score
Handicap
My buddy and I were debating whether or not scoring was easier or harder in the winter. He seems to think that it is easier considering the rough is dry and dead which makes for easier contact in the rough and the added distance you get from the hard ground. I believe that is harder due to the lies that you might receive and the inablility to fly the ball on the green due to the hard greens. None of the greens are receptive during the winter. I also believe that it makes it hard to hit good shots from the fairway because the grass is dead and you get absolutely no cushion under the ball. I would like to here some of your thoughts on this subject.

FOr me it's much harder in the winter. I can't hold the greens as well and I hate playing in the cold lol. Well cold for me is 45-50 haha.

Oh hell yea it's harder in the winter time! You got the cold arse weather, the wind, the brown flat grass, and combine that with the slick Georgia red clay, you got yourself all you can handle. It makes it even harder swinging in the cold stuff when you have to wear 5 layers of clothes and that nice new set of under armour long handles you got for Christmas. Well I forgot to mention you have to keep your balls warm on those really cold days are your distance will no doubt suffer! Winter golf is hands down harder unless you live in Hawaii, Bahamas, or Valdosta, Ga.

For me it's harder. I have too many penalty strokes because I can never find the ball in the snow! hahaha

Harder in winter for me , Hands & feet get cold to fast , swing is not free ( due to layering of clothes ) , the ball does not travel as far , dry grass on greens makes for less truer putts .
If I do get out , I never take a score card , I usually go hit the ball and use the walk more for exercise !

I don't play in winter weather (anymore). Golf is supposed to an enjoyable activity. I don't enjoy myself when it's cold out.

Winter. Sort of athletic motion while wearing three jackets and mittens does not usually end well. Ball wont go unless you keep them warm like Indy car tires. Bunkers turn into a hard packed day at the beach. Dead grass in the rough is nice but terrible on the green.

BTW What winter? It's 65* here in Vegas :confused2:

Easier scoring . Tees are forward, winter rules allow lift clean replace, greens are softer so you throw it right at the pin. That's how it plays around here anyway. Thats probably why they suspend the handicaps for the leagues too. Trade off is thats it's miserable.

Easier scoring . Tees are forward, winter rules allow lift clean replace, greens are softer so you throw it right at the pin. That's how it plays around here anyway. Thats probably why they suspend the handicaps for the leagues too. Trade off is thats it's miserable.

I disagree with you here. We live in pretty much the same climate and you are right on all accounts except that clubs here don't move the tees forward so the course plays really really long.

the greens are harder where I am.

Come on out to Kansas (or really, any of about 40 states today) and let me know how easy it is to golf in the winter! haha

Back