Would You Play Illegal Wedges

nope and I can't get great spin on the ball now lol. But I'll conform to what is proper.

Didn't Callaway settle this already years ago? People will fall in line and follow the USGA/R&A rules, there's not really a viable mainstream market for non-conforming clubs.

I played a couple of proto wedges for a bit. The heads were blanks with just grooves cut in to them and a guy I know did the grind work. For my casual play, they worked great. Ended up trading them for some other equipment a while back, but I have thought about doing another set if I can find good blanks.

Can't say I'd play illegal wedges. I don't see the point, I can impart spin with legal wedges. If you don't have the technique to spin wedges then an illegal one ain't gonna help.

I wouldn't play it, but it sounds like something that would be fun to compare with my normal wedges.

I highly doubt I would play them but its just a personal preference. As I am trying to have an accurate handicap this year I don't feel something like this would let me be happy with where i sat.

I would not use one. About 1/2 of my rounds are tournament/association rounds. So, I wouldn't even take the time to even use it in casual play.

Balls get tore up too quickly as is. No need to add a cover ripping razor toothed wedge. Side note... My dad did have a wedge that would check on a parking lot!!!

it's very silly to admit this, but no i would not. and i don't have a reason why. i don't play in tournaments. there are other usga rules i'm loosy goosy with. but this one wouldn't cross my mind.

I have one that produces CRAZY spin. Amart has seen it in action. It is fun.
The ability to use it effectively is a whole other issue.
I have reduced my use of it because I needed to learn how to hit an actually valuable chip shot.
I do love the way Amart just shakes his head when it zips backwards.

Non-conforming equipment, of any kind, is just one of those things I've never had any interest in trying.

I'd try one, but I wouldn't buy one. Just like I'd try a Polara golf ball if someone handed me one to try on course, but I wouldn't buy them.

I played for a while in a pitch and putt course league with no restrictions on groove gouging. I tried to order expensive custom wedges from Scratch because there was some SERIOUS wagering involved--a bit beyond my comfort level to be honest. I requested very aggressive box grooves that wouldn't conform to the pre-2010 rules. Scratch would only give them to me with a raw finish which I didn't want.

If I could get exactly what I wanted otherwise, I'd be cool with radically non-conforming grooves. They're non-conforming, not illegal. The USGA doesn't have the power of arrest.

Yup, maybe not full time. But if it made the game a little more enjoyable I absolutely would throw them in the bag from time to time.

I would the above as well

If it looked good to the eye, played well, and added any benefit to my game yes.

I'm not big into putting something in the bag, that I don't think improves my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd try it out for fun or rounds I wasn't counting toward my handicap or competing with someone. Wouldn't game it full time. I think it would probably scuff the balls up too much for my liking.

Would not game for scoring purposes but would certainly mess around with it to see what it was all about.

That would be in my charity scramble bag. hahahaha

Probably would try one out but not sure I'd ever by anything like that.

I think I'd be interested in trying it out just for kicks, but if I couldn't use it in tournaments or handicap rounds I can't see it ever making it into the bag.

I would mess around with it on the range and chipping green just to see what it's all about but gaming it wouldn't be my thing. I also want to see a picture of this wedge.

Play and game are two different things to me. Sure I would love to mess with them but keeping them In play I wouldn't

In fun just get out on the course play for sure I'd give them a go, in serious play not if they are not legal. but my wedge game aint so great anyway so YEs I would try them out if there was an improvement.

I would not put them in as my gamers, I might try them for a shot or two on the range though.

No, because spending money on gear that I know is illegal before I even buy it isn't something I'm interested in.

However, I have no problem with ams continuing to play gear bought that was subsequently banned. To JB's point of wedges that are non CoC legal, I still play Cally X Forged and have a couple of new condition extras that I got a great deal on when they were still being sold. If they're still working for me in 2024 I'll keep playing 'em :arrogant:

Played last week with a fellow using a long putter and anchored stroke. I could care less.

Back