Would You Play Illegal Wedges

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I do not mean one's that are not legal on tour, but still legal for handicap purposes. A question came about recently as I was talking to a friend about spin and grooves. Then we saw a prototype of a wedge that is not legal and was just something a company did messing around. So it got me wondering if any THPers would be the target market or is this more of a casual golfer market?

Now to make matters a bit more cloudy, this was not some spin doctor or anything of the sort, this was a high end wedge machined in the US with crazy grooves.

No, I do not mean one's that are not legal on tour, but still legal for handicap purposes. A question came about recently as I was talking to a friend about spin and grooves. Then we saw a prototype of a wedge that is not legal and was just something a company did messing around. So it got me wondering if any THPers would be the target market or is this more of a casual golfer market?

Now to make matters a bit more cloudy, this was not some spin doctor or anything of the sort, this was a high end wedge machined in the US with crazy grooves.

No, probably not. I've got no reason to. I love the conforming wedges I use.

Edit: What's the end goal? Crazy spin?

+1 to this

Nope. If I shoot a great score I wan't it to be legal with conforming clubs and no mullies. Wouldn't feel right. Cheating is cheating. Not for me.

I think the amount of curiosity it would generate here would be the target market. Maybe some casual guys liking to make the game fun, but from a pure technology/tinkerer spacer definitely THPers

Nope can't do it

• Admin

Spin is one.
Consistent yardage is another.

Nope. If I shoot a great score I wan't it to be legal with conforming clubs and no mullies. Wouldn't feel right. Cheating is cheating. Not for me.

+1

I'd want to see it out of curiosity, maybe hit it on practice green but that's about it.

Nope. Wouldn't be able to get past the mental issue that I was "cheating" or something. Plus I don't feel like regular wedges handicap me at all.

Yup, maybe not full time. But if it made the game a little more enjoyable I absolutely would throw them in the bag from time to time.

Intriguing. I could definitely use an exact number every time... Although that takes a bit of the fun out of a wedge game!

If spin influences ball flight, and grooves channel away debris, a flyer is caused by objects being between grooves and club. Larger, aggressive grooves eliminate that, or come closer to eliminating that.

Sure, it'd be fun. I like fun. Golf is fun.

I'd be more interested in just messing around with it on a practice tee/green than anything. Kind of like the spin doctor wedge, it'd be fun for a bit but then probably lose its appeal.

I would play a round or two with them to check them out. If they worked well and were allowed to be used for handicapped rounds, then I would consider it. However, if they were illegal for match play or competition, then I would, as I would not want to practice with something that is different than I would compete with.

In the market no. If I had wedges that no longer meets the PGA rules and they were not worn out I would not buy new ones till I had the money or till the club needed to be replaced. If I was playing in a tourney my hand would be forced. I have several friends who still play the old wedges because they don't want to spend the money

no... same reasons as others.

If I want to rip one back in the practice area I just roll a damp ball in sand...hit it flush and you look like a tour pro. :D

I don't think so. I like to think skill is part of the game although I have no problem using game improvement clubs in other areas. Not very consistent is it? I guess it comes down to competition, I don't want an unfair advantage over someone.

Would it be fun? Yes it would be. Would I buy them knowing they were non conforming? Probably not, not really my style.

No this does me no good. For me personally I see no point in playing something every day that I can't use in tournaments.

If spin influences ball flight, and grooves channel away debris, a flyer is caused by objects being between grooves and club. Larger, aggressive grooves eliminate that, or come closer to eliminating that.

This is intriguing - I would at least like to test them out - I HATE the "skulled flyer" out of a bunker....

No, I wouldn't because I enjoy the challenge of playing the game with conforming clubs. However, if someone found it made the game more fun for them, I certainly would have no problem with them using it (competitions aside, of course).

I bag a Niblick 49° for shots around the green that require run. I know the grooves were an issue but don't remember why. The club is also really old now so I doubt the grooves are helping any on those shots.

If legal for handicap/competition and made my short game better then heck yes....I don't care what's legal on tour.

If illegal for handicap/competition then nope since about half my rounds are tourneys.

Probably not, just for the fact that I wouldn't want to get used to playing a set of wedges that I wouldn't be able to use in competition. I'd play a round or two with them, but that'd be about it.

Back