Would you rather become a scratch handicap over the next 5-10 years or...

?

• Option A

Votes: 78 85.7%
  • Option B

Votes: 13 14.3%

• Total voters
Option A all day long

Now I. My 60’s I am not sure I can wait out 10 years so option B would be pretty fun.

Sign me up for 5-10 years of awesome golf. While the record round at my club would be cool, I would much rather throw darts for 10 years.

Def A.

a scratch golfer is a scratch golfer...and nobody knows it. the course record holder...well, a wise man had a saying about that:

to BE the man, you got to BEAT the man

As a 19+ cap, give me scratch all day long......

I would gladly take my general trajectory for a record round.

Lots of scratch golfers out there. Only one course record.

A course record is so hard to do. As is a scratch handicap.

A scratch would have a good chance of competing for Club Championships and state ams consistently so give me that.

I am 70 years old. So I become a scratch golfer at age 75-80, probably playing the forward tees. Or, I record a 71 in the next year (low round is 72), which likely would not be before I turn 71. I won't even be able to say I shot my age. What is Option C??? ;)
Keep having fun with your guys having a pop or 2 after the round.

A scratch would have a good chance of competing for Club Championships and state ams consistently so give me that.

a bird in hand...

Nobody gets their name on a plaque for "had a good chance at..."

Nobody gets their name on a plaque for "had a good chance at..."
One good round can be erased by a better one. Give me being a scratch player.

Very few people, if any, I play with give any sort of after thought to golf (at least the way I/we do,) so I'd rather they comment on my score on the day.

Ill choose scratch.

No one will care, nor will they remember if I put up a record score at any time. May as well use the talent to earn some post round beers.

Last edited:
I mean, when people ask what my best score is and I tell them, I'll occasionally get an, "oh wow, very nice." But let's face it, that's it, at most. Not that I'd ever look for more, mind you, it's just that people instinctively accept that that was your very best on one particular day.

Give me scratch, all day long, even of it doesn't happen until I'm 60 or 65 yrs old. Although only 1.2 strokes better than where I was four years ago, it's 6.1 better than where I'm at now.

I'll take the legitimate chance to go low each and every time out, thank you very much.

I am 70 years old. So I become a scratch golfer at age 75-80, probably playing the forward tees. Or, I record a 71 in the next year (low round is 72), which likely would not be before I turn 71. I won't even be able to say I shot my age. What is Option C??? ;)
I need another option as well. Was a + player for over 20 years. I'm done working that hard on a game, it's time for fun. Can I just have 20 yards of my drive back?.

One good round can be erased by a better one. Give me being a scratch player.
The way I read the question, the course record is always a possibility. So, if somebody breaks my record, I could out of nowhere break the course record. And, if you ever move and switch courses, another record is ready to fall. If it were a one time thing, I would switch my vote.

Chose the course record. It would require too much work to achieve scratch, especially given my age. I'll be in my 70s five years from now. Plus I might need to find new golf buddies. Would the current guys enjoy me as much if they hardly ever got in my wallet or had those many opportunities to chirp my 'game'. Would I enjoy them playing longer tees and grinding over every stroke just to maintain my cap?

Last edited:
While a record round would be super cool, I think I’d rather play better golf for the long haul.

I might not have 10 years, so scratch is never going to happen NO matter how much money or effort I throw at it. Right now its just enjoy the time I can play golf.

Back