Would you Rather?

Always a hole in one. It’s more memorable.
I can’t remember, James. You have shot a 67, haven’t you?

Hole in one, still trying after 57 years. Since there is such a strong bit of luck involved, it would tickle me more to have an ace. My low scores are just a nice reminder I'm doing the work to improve.

I would take the score over the HIO any day.

That score would be the perfect round, would take that over a potentially flukey HIO.

67 for me. I see it as bragging rights versus payoff for hard work and developed skills that will pay even more dividends in the long run. e.g. - I would see a HOI and pure luck, but if I can get a skill set capable of a 67, then golf would be more fun for me for the remainder of my life and I would take that over bragging rights.

I'm going with the 67. My thought is that a round of -5 is not luck, but would require a ton of skill.

For a person to shoot that kind of score would require an extensive knowledge and comfortability with each of their clubs, as well as have the skill to shape a consistent shot with accurate distances. This person understands and effectively implements excellent course management, can potentially get up-and-down, and has the psychological prowess not to emotionally explode when there is a mishit.

In my mind, if you can shoot a 67 it's only a matter of time before getting an ace.

And besides... I'm cheap. I'm definitely not looking forward to the bar tab after shooting a hole-in-one. Particularly considering the fact that my foursome tends to include some very heavy drinkers.

Last edited:
I'd go with the HOI and the 67 if I could.

But really I'd go for the 67, that would be the round of my life. They probably have to put me on life support afterwords because of the shock. :laughing:

Another factor being I do already have one HOI to my name. ;)

I'd take the HIO. I've never had one in almost 35 years of golfing the ball, so it would be more memorable and spectacular to me. 67 would be a great round, one that I'd probably never shoot again in my life, but it would be off my handicap in 20 rounds and forgotten about.

OTOH, I'd gladly take the 67 if it was on the final day of a tournament for a resounding win!

I'd take the HIO. I've never had one in almost 35 years of golfing the ball, so it would be more memorable and spectacular to me. 67 would be a great round, one that I'd probably never shoot again in my life, but it would be off my handicap in 20 rounds and forgotten about.

OTOH, I'd gladly take the 67 if it was on the final day of a tournament for a resounding win!

Yeah, but if you really shot a 67, it would mean you are one of the best amateurs in your state.

Yeah, but if you really shot a 67, it would mean you are one of the best amateurs in your state.
For that one round - until I came out and shot a bounce-back 93 the next round! :LOL:

I can’t remember, James. You have shot a 67, haven’t you?
From 6500 and out 69 is my best. Shot 67 from 5400 with my HS girls though :ROFLMAO:

Oh definitely the 67. An awesome round is a whole day of successes and memories. A HIO is just a moment, and a lot of them are pure luck. You can't accident your way to a -5.

Yes. I agree.

From 6500 and out 69 is my best. Shot 67 from 5400 with my HS girls though :ROFLMAO:

You still have to make putts. You have the ceiling in your game to do it from 6500.

Give me the Ace.

While a 67 would be fantastic, and sure you can Sharpie "67" on the Golf Ball and be the most likely PB of your Golf Career. It's whatever, it was a great round of golf.

Nobody ever asks "What's the lowest you ever shot?" And even if I did respond with a 67, big deal?

If you ask me if I ever made a Hole in One. I'm telling you the yardage, the club, how it happened, dunked it, rolled in, once bounce hit the flag and went in, etc.

I'll look back more fondly of a HIO, personally.

I have a HIO so I will take the 67 every time. That would be a round for me.

Neither one,
Reason being is because (to me) Id much rather just be a more consistent player with a lower cap than I have now. Honestly id be very happy just being close to a 10 cap I dont even have to be single digits. Im playing for decades and been through hell effort,time,and money wise and just seeing it all pay off even just that much would be all i ask for.
The HOI would be nice for the moment but I really dont care and as for 67? if that was realistic it would mean I was already a single digit capper but since Im not even near that a 67 is not real option so why bother choosing it.
Either way id gladly sacrifice both those just to be a more consistent player and a 10 capper.

I would chose a 67. I have witnessed 3 hole's in one. Only one was actually a good shot. The other two, dumb luck. Shooting a 67 even if only once. takes skill. Personal best is a 2 under 70. had that a couple times when I was playing a lot more than I am now.

I do have one HIO, and that is fantastic, but if I could shoot 67 on a par 72 that would be the end all. That is one fantastic round to remember forever.

I would take a 67 hands down. I've had a Hole in One, and was fortunate that it was a well struck shot, and was able to see it in the hole. However, that excitement only lasted a couple holes.
If I were to shoot a 67, that would be an exciting the whole round, getting more exciting the closer you are to finishing. Also, I think shooting a 67 is a lot rarer than a hole in one.

As opposed to the hole in one, nobody who struggles to break 100 gets lucky enough to break 70. Hell, I'd take an 87 at 6500 yards over a hole in one.

I'll take the HIO, with a witness. I have shot several rounds in the 60's but have never made a witnessed HIO.

If it's a great prize for the HIO then I'll take that... otherwise I'll take the 67 all day and twice on Sunday... it would mean I broke 100, 90, 80, and 70!

I'd lose my mind if I shot a 67, haha. A HIO would be fantastic and all (in the moment), but my friends would never hear the end of it if I shot a legit 67 on a 6600 yard course.

I'd take the 67 since it represents good, consistent golf. And back when I could actually play this goofy game, I shot a 69 from the tips at a par 72 course at 6.900+ yards! This was over 40 years ago. I'm 67 now, and still hold a handicap of 13.4.

A HIO can be the result of a fluke. I've had several close calls, and have holed out in 2 on a few par 4's.

I know that this choice is not applicable to some on the forum, because they are able to post this score if not regularly, at least once in a while. However, most cannot. So, here is my question: If given the choice, would you rather have a hole in one or shoot 67 on a par 72 course of, let’s say approximately 6600 yards with a slope rating of 130 or above? Why?
Hole in ones are something you can talk about. 67 meh... Doesn't matter if you go back to normal scores IMO...

Back