Review XCaliber Rapid Taper Iron Shaft Review

So I got my Maltby Max wedges in yesterday and quickly put them together. I could hardly contain my excitement. I used the Xcaliber Classic RT Spin 100 shaft for both the 54° and 58°. They came in at exactly D5, cut down to 35.75". I'll get to hit them tomorrow barring any weird Pacific Northwest weather we've been having lately. I'll be sure to report back tomorrow evening.

I've made quite a few purchases from Golfworks and clubheads have always come in a box. This time around, the wedge heads came in a bubble envelope. I scratched my head and went about my business. Naturally, there were a couple very minor but noticeable nicks that didn't matter because they were mine but had I bought them to assemble for someone, I'm not sure how I would have felt about it. Anyways, it doesn't dampen my excitement to hit the heads, just something to be aware of and, hopefully it was just an anomaly.

View attachment 9082530View attachment 9082531View attachment 9082533View attachment 9082534
I'm not sure why but I finally went for Rapid Tapers from my 4 iron through the PW, with 100 Spin Wedge in my 50, 54 & 58.
Shot my best round ever first time out, the hype is real #steelnomore

So I got my Maltby Max wedges in yesterday and quickly put them together. I could hardly contain my excitement. I used the Xcaliber Classic RT Spin 100 shaft for both the 54° and 58°. They came in at exactly D5, cut down to 35.75". I'll get to hit them tomorrow barring any weird Pacific Northwest weather we've been having lately. I'll be sure to report back tomorrow evening.

I've made quite a few purchases from Golfworks and clubheads have always come in a box. This time around, the wedge heads came in a bubble envelope. I scratched my head and went about my business. Naturally, there were a couple very minor but noticeable nicks that didn't matter because they were mine but had I bought them to assemble for someone, I'm not sure how I would have felt about it. Anyways, it doesn't dampen my excitement to hit the heads, just something to be aware of and, hopefully it was just an anomaly.

View attachment 9082530View attachment 9082531View attachment 9082533View attachment 9082534
You are gonna love those wedge heads. They just glide through the turf.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Happy to report that the wedges performed as advertised. As @Popeye said, they really do glide through the turf. I was faced with a couple tight lies and the grind made the shot a breeze. I'm usually a terrible short game guy but I hit some pretty decent shots around the green....I even holed out for eagle from 10 yards off the green. I'll put them through 18 holes this afternoon, but I'm confident that these are in the bag for a while.

I have a buddy who is a brand name guy, so naturally he didn't even know Maltby existed. He took a few shots with the wedges and he got the look in his face that anyone who plays components has seen many times. I likely won't convert him because --insert name brand-- but maybe seeing how these play might make him reconsider.

I reached out to all 9 players who have a set of 105 S shafts in play. Had to ask about how they felt the flex is, for setting the designation.
It's settled in that these 105g shafts are an S+.
With that said Meer mortals have been able to play them.. and play them well. The first few came back stating they were an solid S flex, but not quite an S+. Then the next batch came back as definitely S+ but not an X. Robin was already leaning to the S+.... So S+ it is.
If I had to label a lowest SS to play them, I would probably pin it at 105, without having to over swing. They also do very well with solid 3/4 swings. Yet they have responded to player Swing Speeds WAY over that.
What I'm continuing to hear repeatedly.. is the incredible control and accuracy players are achieving. Some see slight if any increases in distance, but it's all about control. 2 have shot personal bests first time out. They are all very strong players.. single digit guys. One guy is referring to them as the 'Auto Release' shafts. No matter what he seems to do with them, they release at the bottom every time. I got a chuckle out of that. But it illustrates the amazing way they come through the ball. That load and release that makes you want to throw out a lingering pose! Add a club twirl as you wish.
An R + version is being drawn up now and overall the 105 shafts are going to be geared around better players. I have a lot of frequency testing on the new batch before the R+ CPM is set. Most people will do just fine with the 95g or lower versions. Or even split weighted sets.
I have another matte black batch inbound from overseas but again limited quantities. Over half have already been spoken for as these are catching .
This may be a shaft we have trouble keeping in stock. I can certainly see trippling the next PO.
Early reports on the other weight families have always been positive. This is a whole new level of positive feedback.

Will there be a matte black version in the 75 or 85 weights at any point? I'm ready, but don't love the rings if another option will exist.
Once all the new decorated shafts are in stock I can consider doing some matte black runs. The lighter weight iron shafts, in matte black no decals, will be in very limited quantities as they generally don't move as well. I don't want to get stuck with any.
So that may only be on a per order need, not an ongoing option. If I order less than 50 of one SKU it's a much higher price. So at a minimum full sets will be sold. As well, the matte black shafts would be part of a bigger run. As in not just a set or two.
So there is a good chance the Matte Black no decorations, would only be on the high demand weight and flex options.
But ofcourse you are free to paint a shaft any color or sheen you want yourself. Sorry but it's a complicated answer with still a lot of unknowns.

The 105’s are legit. I played the shafted 7i T100S a lot yesterday in the 30-34 mph wind and flighting and working it wasn’t an issue at all.

Disclaimer. If you don't like how I review my own shafts then please read no further..
Ok...
Today was between 38 and 40 degrees. Winds were 20-25 with some sleet and snow here and there. It seemed nice enough at the house before hand but at the course, it was different.
I have in play 4-6 TS-2 irons with the RTI95s. 7-G, are the TS-1 with the Rti 105s. 52° with a 105 and the 56, 60 have the new RTi W 110.
Today I'm not sure I can quantify how good these clubs did today. Even dead into the wind I simply chose one more club. With the high launch you would think these would fall out of the sky.. but no, they seem to defy the wind and just go. With the wind being so high and the cold in my hands I assumed I would have stingers all day. The feeling was smooth, vibration free, almost soft. I was almost shocked at the level of feel I had getting through the ball. For the first few shots I was expecting mild pain..
Some of my swings were controlled 75% swings. Some were fairly aggressive. The clubs responded in any way I asked of them.
I shot a very shocking -3 today with 4 birdies. I obviously putted very well but had a TON of putts inside of 12 feet.
To shoot this well under those kind of conditions is something. But to also have amazing feel and touch was quite a surprise.
I'm very tempted to add the 105 shafts the the 4-6.
When i stepped out of the truck to play and realized how nasty it was... I had no idea how fun of a round I was going to have. 20220427_172339.jpg20220427_172413.jpg20220427_144656.jpg

Attachments

• 20220427_144656.jpg
    20220427_144656.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 4
Disclaimer. If you don't like how I review my own shafts then please read no further..
Ok...
Today was between 38 and 40 degrees. Winds were 20-25 with some sleet and snow here and there. It seemed nice enough at the house before hand but at the course, it was different.
I have in play 4-6 TS-2 irons with the RTI95s. 7-G, are the TS-1 with the Rti 105s. 52° with a 105 and the 56, 60 have the new RTi W 110.
Today I'm not sure I can quantify how good these clubs did today. Even dead into the wind I simply chose one more club. With the high launch you would think these would fall out of the sky.. but no, they seem to defy the wind and just go. With the wind being so high and the cold in my hands I assumed I would have stingers all day. The feeling was smooth, vibration free, almost soft. I was almost shocked at the level of feel I had getting through the ball. For the first few shots I was expecting mild pain..
Some of my swings were controlled 75% swings. Some were fairly aggressive. The clubs responded in any way I asked of them.
I shot a very shocking -3 today with 4 birdies. I obviously putted very well but had a TON of putts inside of 12 feet.
To shoot this well under those kind of conditions is something. But to also have amazing feel and touch was quite a surprise.
I'm very tempted to add the 105 shafts the the 4-6.
When i stepped out of the truck to play and realized how nasty it was... I had no idea how fun of a round I was going to have. View attachment 9084286View attachment 9084288View attachment 9084289

Nothing like horizontal rain to test out some gear!!

I'm here @Jman now what? :ROFLMAO:

I have been playing single length irons for over 5 years and adapted quickly with great results. Built myself a beginner set with Pinhawk and after a year I picked up a set of Cobra F9 One Length with KBS light steel shafts. I have made a couple of sets of Wishon Sterling"s for friends who love them. I currently replaced the KBS with Xcaliber RT Classic shafts and immediately felt the smoothness of going to graphite and it was immediately. I want to build a Wishon set of EQ1 new single length with the new Rapid Taper 75 gr shafts. Has anyone built a single length set with Robin"s new "swords" ?

I have been playing single length irons for over 5 years and adapted quickly with great results. Built myself a beginner set with Pinhawk and after a year I picked up a set of Cobra F9 One Length with KBS light steel shafts. I have made a couple of sets of Wishon Sterling"s for friends who love them. I currently replaced the KBS with Xcaliber RT Classic shafts and immediately felt the smoothness of going to graphite and it was immediately. I want to build a Wishon set of EQ1 new single length with the new Rapid Taper 75 gr shafts. Has anyone built a single length set with Robin"s new "swords" ?
I know of at least six builds in single length. They have all been very happy with the results.

Looking at the rapid taper in either an 85 or 95 as an option for my incoming Edel irons. For those that have hit both what’s your thoughts.

Last edited:
Looking at the rapid taper in either an 85 or 95 as an option for my incoming Edel irons. For those that have hit both what’s your thoughts.
My hogans have 85 in the mid irons, 95 in the scoring, I love the lighter weight in the longer making those easier to hit. 95gm seem light but make hitting 9 irons & PW so so much fun

Better late than never to the party. Demo 7 iron arrived today. Rapid Taper 85 in a King Forge Tec head. Should give me a great comparison to my i95 shafted KFT. 7E557653-8061-45CD-B639-F551466CA250.jpeg2B95582B-D931-4A31-B9F7-D5CCE2FA0EF0.jpeg

Rapid tapers could easily win out and become shaft of choice. Still early in testing. Best results out of 40 shots easily go to RT shafted club.

And they are so stupidly easy and fun to hit right?
Very pleased with what I saw in the sim. Already have him working on a set price.

Popeye are the new shafts going to be on the webpage soon?
The IT guys are struggling to get them on the web page. But all weights and flexs are in stock now.
The only thing that's behing is the 115 Spin Wedge.
Supposed to be live by Monday. If not a manual order can be made.

Back