XCaliber Superlite Series - THP Review Thread

It's like you guys are on embargo from posting results.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I know Dean was trying to get settled through some craziness, rest assured he will post up thoughts soon, as the feedback was positive and surprised in FL.

What are you specifically curious about? Anything in particular or the whole enchilada.

I know Dean was trying to get settled through some craziness, rest assured he will post up thoughts soon, as the feedback was positive and surprised in FL.

What are you specifically curious about? Anything in particular or the whole enchilada.
Looking for some details. Previously I knew the product line very well but there have been a lot of small changes.

I still play an SWD 50 in a Rouge subzero and the performance is shocking.

Some technical stuff we are still under embargo on. I've had some family stuff to deal with including a funeral today. I'll have stuff up when things calm down this weekend.

Hey Folks!
Robin weighing in...

First of all many thanks to DDec for his pics and initial comments!

Just wanted everyone to know a few things.

First I've been working on a shaft like this for a LONG time. My goal was to have the distribution of stiffness equal to that of 65+ gram shafts AND especially to bring the ball flight down. It wasn't until I started working w/ a new factory who produces their own materials from different carbon fibers and their own unique epoxy resins AND who has access to Japanese super hi-modulus fibers that this goal methinks maybe is accomplished...it's now your job to tell me!

Second - I do have shafts (the entire new or modified shaft line) ready to ship from a new XCal. Distribution Center we've setup in San Diego even before our new, pretty dang kule website is launched. I'll know an exact date on Monday as we're having a complete site review. I will definitely let everyone know that date as soon as I CONFIRM it!

Third - I've been taking issue with companies' marketing innuendos for quite some time. Ex. a xxx5-S flex shaft that really weighs 60+; or a sub-50 gm., S flex shaft that in reality has a butt freq, or a stiffness distribution of an weak R...or I've found even an A flex. No wonder folks hit the ball so high eh? I got close w/ the original SL-Wood shafts but not close enough for a larger field of players. I think we might have now...

Fourth - for 7 years now I haven't hardly raised prices on any of the Xcal shafts. Well, with the rising prices everywhere, I've been forced to do so. BUT, in cutting out my former distributor and their margins and distribution costs, I've re-distributed the new pricing such that anyone who becomes a Dealer, is actually making a lot more money/shaft than before. Heck, I'm making a bit more but not %-wise as our Dealers. And that's the way it should be.

Finally I've heard rumblings of our gov't. tariffs (I've even heard the word "embargo"...now that's strong) affecting our businesses. I've asked my vendors who say nothing has changed yet. But I'll stay on-top of it and report asap of any feedback I get...and I'll get it soon enough as it'll be impacting the factories first. Stay tuned for that...

Again, thanks to DDec and to you all! I'm anxiously awaiting all your feedback - good, bad and even ugly. I use those lessons for the iterative process of design and as indeed motivation. So THANKS FOLKS!!!
R

Also, I just thought that I'll get in-touch with HP mgt. (JB, DDec and TBD) to completely understand protocol re: when I can get a few shafts into members' hands to test including the 45s and def. some of our other new shafts. Feedback from the front lines I take VERY seriously...
R

Also, I just thought that I'll get in-touch with HP mgt. (JB, DDec and TBD) to completely understand protocol re: when I can get a few shafts into members' hands to test including the 45s and def. some of our other new shafts. Feedback from the front lines I take VERY seriously...
R
Sign me up! Well, OK I will follow protocol as well. But sign me up : )

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Would love a shot at trying an AXE shaft again. My most accurate shaft was the 50 gram in an R11s many years back.

Have more to say about this and some more numbers to show. But Superlite for me does not equal a crazy spin launch combo. Truthfully I launch the driver high amyway so even in this shot, that number isnt like OMG what happened! But check out the spin number its low. And thats kind of what I saw in some THPers hands last week. Plenty of good balls that were not was some expected. More to come as I comb through some data.

This came with a g400 driver and Srixon Soft Feel ball.

f80872b4b5819e246f2401cada3ded65.jpg

What launch monitor are you using?
Have more to say about this and some more numbers to show. But Superlite for me does not equal a crazy spin launch combo. Truthfully I launch the driver high amyway so even in this shot, that number isnt like OMG what happened! But check out the spin number its low. And thats kind of what I saw in some THPers hands last week. Plenty of good balls that were not was some expected. More to come as I comb through some data.

Also big thanks for posting the pics. Fan of #RealData

Deano, those are some really really good numbers for you dude. Holy low spin and high launch batman. WOW.

Foresight GC2
Thanks. Way out of my price range. Looking for something for the garage for the winter.

XCaliber Superlite Series - THP Review Thread

OK so here is a look at some numbers. Driver setup was the Superlite 45 gram stiff flex in a G400 9° head turned down to 8°. Believe it or not, I'm an amateur golfer and not a robot. I think you all could see that from my varying launch angles haha. Some might look at this is and be like HOLY COW, but you know what that's me. When I'm swinging good my launch comes down to 15 range, when I don't transfer weight, I get up in the high teens. There is one in that that is a low strong left pull, but I kept it in for the fun of things, and yes it carried about as far as a heavenwood. My point of this small background is that the launch isn't anything crazy for me, but it might for some. I have always been a high launch guy with the driver. I hit the ball with an ascending blow, which is why my spin is also in the neighborhood it's at.

06b6d29fd01859ef23ed6b55754c7211.jpg

Last edited:

Almost at the magical 17/1700 mark! That's solid right there - getting pretty much all you can out of that speed with those numbers. Based on what I've seen you hit, you're probably looking at similar launch with most any shaft, I'd think.

One follow up - what ball speed do you tend to see with the gamer/fit shaft for you. About the same?

Almost at the magical 17/1700 mark! That's solid right there - getting pretty much all you can out of that speed with those numbers. Based on what I've seen you hit, you're probably looking at similar launch with most any shaft, I'd think.

yup exactly. I mean if I look back at some past numbers.

Triton stock: 14.8
C300 stock: 15.8
C300 Rogue: 15.0
917 Whiteboard: 15.6
GBB Whiteboard: 15.6
F7 Rogue Silver: 17.1

when I look at the numbers I have above, that 17.4 makes sense to me. If I remove the big outlier of 21.5(way too high), it knocks it down to 16.8. Based on my past numbers and where this is said to fit it, I said the profile is kind of spot on. If I am hitting an X Stiff low launch/low spin combo, at a slightly lower loft launching at 15.6, then this being in that 16 range I would say meets the more mid-mid high profile. Again kind of piecing things together to get to that conclusion.

yup exactly. I mean if I look back at some past numbers.

Triton stock: 14.8
C300 stock: 15.8
C300 Rogue: 15.0
917 Whiteboard: 15.6
GBB Whiteboard: 15.6
F7 Rogue Silver: 17.1

when I look at the numbers I have above, that 17.4 makes sense to me. If I remove the big outlier of 21.5(way too high), it knocks it down to 16.8. Based on my past numbers and where this is said to fit it, I said the profile is kind of spot on. If I am hitting an X Stiff low launch/low spin combo, at a slightly lower loft launching at 15.6, then this being in that 16 range I would say meets the more mid-mid high profile. Again kind of piecing things together to get to that conclusion.

And if you're not getting a ton of spin, I'll take the extra launch any day. Some solid performance out of this setup for you.

pretty consistent numbers there mr Ddec. I knew there was some talent in there somewhere.

Still mad I didnt try the shaft.

Some very impressive spin numbers. Did you have the setup in play on your normal course? How were the distances compared to your normal gamer?

OK so here is a look at some numbers. Driver setup was the Superlite 45 gram stiff flex in a G400 9° head turned down to 8°. Believe it or not, I'm an amateur golfer and not a robot. I think you all could see that from my varying launch angles haha. Some might look at this is and be like HOLY COW, but you know what that's me. When I'm swinging good my launch comes down to 15 range, when I don't transfer weight, I get up in the high teens. There is one in that that is a low strong left pull, but I kept it in for the fun of things, and yes it carried about as far as a heavenwood. My point of this small background is that the launch isn't anything crazy for me, but it might for some. I have always been a high launch guy with the driver. I hit the ball with an ascending blow, which is why my spin is also in the neighborhood it's at.

i-wh44DzM-XL.jpg

With those ball speeds, other than the pull hook those are pretty damn good numbers. Sure launch you would like to see come down slightly, but with that spin... if it came down much and you didn't get more spin you would probably lose carry (maybe you would get total similar, but that depends on course conditions.

For a 45g or so shaft... that is really good in my opinion.

Some very impressive spin numbers. Did you have the setup in play on your normal course? How were the distances compared to your normal gamer?

I have played it on one of my normal rotating courses, and on some smooth swings, I have hit some that I would consider long for me. The big issue for me with this one is that my swing is quick, not fast, but quick. So at times I felt like if I got too quick, then this thing produces some misses for me that I don't see out of my normal shaft choice. However smooth swings, it feels like there is more kick to it and the ball just launches. Meanwhile I had plenty of other guys who have stronger swing speeds than me give it a go, and there were some shots that were absolutely hammered.

I normally play a shaft that is more tip stiff, because as you can see, I tend to launch the ball high(swing faults). But that shaft lets me get away a bit more with my faults and if I really try to go at it for some reason, it pays off. With this one, I feel like if I try to go at it, I lose it.

With those ball speeds, other than the pull hook those are pretty damn good numbers. Sure launch you would like to see come down slightly, but with that spin... if it came down much and you didn't get more spin you would probably lose carry (maybe you would get total similar, but that depends on course conditions.

For a 45g or so shaft... that is really good in my opinion.

I'm working on some swing stuff to try and get things straightened out again which will hopefully in time cut down on the pull hook as well as knock the launch down. But hell for the most part we are all am golfers with other things going on in our lives and cant dedicate all the time needed to get the changes to work every time. I'm a funny case. I launch high and spin low. But I'd love to knock the launch down and spin up a bit. Will it give me much more distance, I don't know. My SS is down this year because I'm out of shape, so on the course if I carry one 235 and it rolls out to say 245 or more I'm more than happy.

For 45G like you said, it seems like a good option, as long as I control tempo.

I have played it on one of my normal rotating courses, and on some smooth swings, I have hit some that I would consider long for me. The big issue for me with this one is that my swing is quick, not fast, but quick. So at times I felt like if I got too quick, then this thing produces some misses for me that I don't see out of my normal shaft choice. However smooth swings, it feels like there is more kick to it and the ball just launches. Meanwhile I had plenty of other guys who have stronger swing speeds than me give it a go, and there were some shots that were absolutely hammered.

I normally play a shaft that is more tip stiff, because as you can see, I tend to launch the ball high(swing faults). But that shaft lets me get away a bit more with my faults and if I really try to go at it for some reason, it pays off. With this one, I feel like if I try to go at it, I lose it.
I find that an interesting result as I had seen similar results with the SWD50 which is close to the same shaft design. I have a fast transition at about 108 mph. If I keep a smooth yet aggressive tempo I am seeing distances with the Rouge Sub Zero that are jaw dropping. With the right tempo it's a low boring missile that doesn't want to stop. In play the one or two misses I may see a round pale in comparison to how well the other 12 or so drives are. I will have to pick up this new version you have for sure.

I find that an interesting result as I had seen similar results with the SWD50 which is close to the same shaft design. I have a fast transition at about 108 mph. If I keep a smooth yet aggressive tempo I am seeing distances with the Rouge Sub Zero that are jaw dropping. With the right tempo it's a low boring missile that doesn't want to stop. In play the one or two misses I may see a round pale in comparison to how well the other 12 or so drives are. I will have to pick up this new version you have for sure.

yup right tempo and boom. @gunner what is your swing speed? Because you hammered a ball with this combo. I know he is faster than 108, and it held up just fine.

Back