Your Biggest Improvement This Year?

KEV

Proud 2018 The Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
Sorry if I missed a thread about this already but I was just thinking that we have threads about our handicap trends, what we need to improve on, etc. but I haven't really seen one dedicated to what we have HAVE improved on this season. I've been working on keeping more of a positive mindset in golf and life and this seems like a good way to do it!

I have had a few important improvements:

- My game from 100 yards and in has improved dramatically. I now have more shots than ever in that range that I can play. I have definitely had more birdies and birdie opportunities lately.

- Over the past 2 weeks I have improved my driver with a simple fix (keep my head still) which has been a lifesaver and resulted in wayyyyyy less headaches.

- Most importantly has been my mental game. I committed to strengthening my mental approach and started by reading Zen Golf. It honestly helped me a ton. I've been able to let go of those negative thoughts, clear my head a little more and just overall have fun again. I think it has also carried over to my personal life as well and I think I have been a happier, more patient person. I honestly think that finding this site has helped as well. I've learned so many tips and tricks from others that I have used, it's unbelievable!

How about the rest of THP?

Biggest improvement has been with the long irons. The 3 and 4 irons have been great friends on the course. They go pretty straight and pretty far. More importantly the shots just feel great.

For me it was three things:

1. Being more aggressive, and attacking the course. And expecting good results while doing it.

2. Rotating my hips. A pro spent 20 minutes with me and fixed it. No more slice. More distance.

3. Retiring my driver, and using my hybrid to tee off. I feel like i am in most holes now.

Short game(70yds and in) easily thanks to prep for Legacy.

Irons, long game off the deck and distance off the tee.

Hitting it straight. Playing well with the long irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting. Went sub 30 putts a lot this year. Lot of long par savers too!

Your Biggest Improvement This Year?

I think the last year has been an overall improvement. I've done steady lessons, practiced and played. I started shooting the odd round in the 80's and it's been fun. My wife would say my biggest improvement would be in my attitude. I think I expected too much when I started getting serious about golf. In the last year I've really started to enjoy the game, being outside and taking in the moment. I don't get mad anymore and I just have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Easy one for me, I've begun using hybrids. I never could hit hybrids well and always have been pretty good with long irons. For a couple of years and expecially the past year, I haven't been able to hit the long irons. After giving hybrids another try, I'm getting more confident in them daily.

My biggest improvement has been returning to golf from 2 surgeries late last year on my abdomen and then my back. Another aspect has been chipping. I really struggled with it before and I practiced it for hours. Now I don't feel completely lost while chipping (on most days anyway lol)

I am much improved at a couple of things:
#1 - Driver consistency - just scary the confidence I have on the tee
#2 - Course Management - I am getting around the course in a way I never have before. Part of that is being a better position off the tee, part is choosing better approach shots
#3 - Putting is much much improved

My short game and iron striking.

The biggest improvement has been two-fold...keep the ball in play better off the tee, and getting much more accurate with my hybrids and long irons. It's nice not to reach for the longest clubs in the bag with a feeling of dread.

I'm not terrified of 100 yard shots anymore. I used to hit them straight right with my GW, but now I have the confidence to feel like everything's going to be close.

Bunker shots & putting. I used to be terrible at both. Now I'm just average to bad.

irons and putting...

Having all new clubs thanks to #THPLegacy has probably helped me along with the prep that went into her ready for the event.

Mental game. Having a game plan on each hole and playing to it.

Getting into the groove of my new swing. It took me a couple of years to have confidence in my new sing. Man, these things take time.

For me, getting back into golf after years of just playing a few times a year and starting up lessons again. Everything frankly. Ball striking, hip turn, consistency. I've hit more balls in the last 4 weeks than the last 5 years probably.

More consistency with the driver.

confidence.
It used to be if I was on one side of say...a sand trap and had to stop the ball on the green between that and the other sand I would believe I would be in the sand, adjust to avoid it and blast it into the far sand or 150 yards past the green. Now I believe I can make the shot and will try a flop shot, a high floater, a decent 60 degree wedge...and have steady success, albeit not anything spectacular for a real golfer.

From a technical standpoint I have a higher, softer shot and am more consistent from 90 and in, having developed a repeatable, consistent swing with wedges where I feel confident from 50-90 yards in hitting the green most of the time.

been a good year for improvement.

confidence with a driver, where it used to be a huge liability.

tons of confidence with irons, which were awful last year

goals for next year will be to keep putts in the high 20s low 30s, and improve up-and-down %

I don't think I've improved, but right now I don't have so many doubts about how to improve as I have in the past. I feel like I'm on the right path.

Back