Your Club Champions Experiences

More thinking with the key board, as someone who has purchased a lot of iron sets direct from Callaway and have only got (1) set that were actually built correctly the 1st time the value in the CC fitting/ build may be in the end result of saving time and grief dealing with the OEM.
A friend of mine in the last two weeks ordered a custom set of APEX 19 irons 2 deg strong and 2 upright and upon having them checked one iron was correct out of the set. I am not picking on Callaway as I bet a lot of the other OEM's could have similar issues but I have not seen it personally.

And the winner is.... Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9* with Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S!! I'll post my stats once I get the track man email... but they want $1,026 for the driver
First time doing a driver fitting and I have say it was a very cool experience!! After a quick warmup, I hit 6 balls with my current driver, Taylormade M2 with stock Fujikura shaft. Here's the stats:

36f2f3afecfe6b3e9bbfa8df2bfbd601.jpg

Then I tried the Taylormade M6 with about 5 different shafts and the best shaft was the Fujikura Ventus 6S. I didn't get the stats as it wasn't a finalist.

With that shaft, I tried the Ping 410, Titleist TS3 and Callaway Epic Flash SubZero heads. After quite a few swings we narrowed it down to the SubZero and TS3. Although the TS3 gave me 5 more yards carry, I consistently hit a smash factor of 1.49 with the SubZero. My fitter said in the long term that will be the better choice. Here's the stats for those two drivers:

5e4870b983edec480259a7e50ac94b11.jpg

554bb0399c3d6db03b6cea2a656729c0.jpg

Overall based on averages, I gained 12 yards carry and 18 yards total with the SubZero. Now if I can just be patient and find the right price point with that Ventus shaft!!

What do you guys think? Is it worth paying extra for this premium shaft?

It is a shame they go so overboard on pricing. Of course they have to pay for everything they have and offer but the combo Canes got fit for directly from Callaway is $879.99.
Which I guess as I write the above the mark up is not crazy to pay the bills.
Thanks Jim for the research!! That's a little better on the wallet.

More thinking with the key board, as someone who has purchased a lot of iron sets direct from Callaway and have only got (1) set that were actually built correctly the 1st time the value in the CC fitting/ build may be in the end result of saving time and grief dealing with the OEM.
A friend of mine in the last two weeks ordered a custom set of APEX 19 irons 2 deg strong and 2 upright and upon having them checked one iron was correct out of the set. I am not picking on Callaway as I bet a lot of the other OEM's could have similar issues but I have not seen it personally.

CC made similar mistakes for me. It's overpriced, but some people are ok with that.

I am a shaft addict so pricing these type things is fun, I will be going back to CC for another fitting next month or soon after.

Most likely Driver and irons just to see what they come up with for the perfect unicorn setup. I am trying to wait for the new Callaway stuff to be out mostly, but no idea when they would have it in hand. I would consider buying from them, but I have had real good luck with Will P. so for now he gets my builds.

CC made similar mistakes for me. It's overpriced, but some people are ok with that.
wow, I thought that was their Model to check and recheck all the specs and such so they are as perfect as possible. That is troubling to say the least.

Do you know if lofts were checked on the same machine or style of machine? As we showed in our video, CC uses Mitchell Digital Calibrated.

See this all of the time, something done on a tour machine and then brought to a local store and they throw it on a non-calibrated or different seated machine and all of the sudden its viewed as off.

Of course you could shop around and put that combo together for darn near half that. head and shaft from ebay and off you go.

Do you know if lofts were checked on the same machine or style of machine? As we showed in our video, CC uses Mitchell Digital Calibrated.

See this all of the time, something done on a tour machine and then brought to a local store and they throw it on a non-calibrated or different seated machine and all of the sudden its viewed as off.
My experiences have been quite well documented here and most of my sets were bought though Leadbetter golf or Callaway direct Custom orders and out of the box were flat out wrong. I get the whole "tour machine" thing, but even my cheap Golfworks SW scale was within a point of the machine supposedly used at the mexico factory that cost $50,000 or something like that.

Wrong is wrong and I suspect it is more the lack of QC or not actually doing the QC at all that causes the issues, not the type of machine used.

wow, I thought that was their Model to check and recheck all the specs and such so they are as perfect as possible. That is troubling to say the least.
That was definitely their sales pitch. And they probably do better than most, but I expected perfect.

My experiences have been quite well documented here and most of my sets were bought though Leadbetter golf or Callaway direct Custom orders and out of the box were flat out wrong. I get the whole "tour machine" thing, but even my cheap Golfworks SW scale was within a point of the machine supposedly used at the mexico factory that cost $50,000 or something like that.

Wrong is wrong and I suspect it is more the lack of QC or not actually doing the QC at all that causes the issues, not the type of machine used.

You missed my point. Loft and Lie is measured with seating a club and bolting in. I have two machines here, Golf Mechanix Digital and Mitchell Tour Gauge. Both of them seat differently and give off a different reading by nearly a full degree. I know the MItchell is right, and know the other is off, so it works.

Your swing weight scale example is exactly what I am speaking of. It was off. By a full point and it shouldn’t be, since it is literally just a scale with a weight on the end of it. Now compound that with someone having to manually seat something exact, and 1mm off will change the loft and lie degrees.

It doesn’t matter clearly, so my recommendation is a very simple one. Build them yourself and never again worry about any of these ”issues”.

You missed my point. Loft and Lie is measured with seating a club and bolting in. I have two machines here, Golf Mechanix Digital and Mitchell Tour Gauge. Both of them seat differently and give off a different reading by nearly a full degree. I know the MItchell is right, and know the other is off, so it works.

Your swing weight scale example is exactly what I am speaking of. It was off. By a full point and it shouldn’t be, since it is literally just a scale with a weight on the end of it. Now compound that with someone having to manually seat something exact, and 1mm off will change the loft and lie degrees.

Your point is understood, so if the person using the Equipment at the factory (or anywhere) misses seating the club by a mm then the whole process goes out the window. So who do you trust and what is a person to do?

"It doesn’t matter clearly, so my recommendation is a very simple one. Build them yourself and never again worry about any of these ”issues”."

It appears above you are telling me personally it does not matter because I am questioning the process, but I do enjoy these conversations about equipment and how things work. You know how sensitive I am so bear with me please, I work with Equipment every day and have a pretty good understanding of things mechanical.

I do build some of my own stuff as a hobby with limited bottom of the barrel equipment, but at least I have a chance of getting it close enough to be usable.

You obviously have great equipment, every clubhead / shaft you want to play with and the knowledge to do anything you want, that is not what all of the rest of us have access to or ever will so we have to pay someone else to do it for the most part.

We have to at least have some faith that the Company / person we are giving our money to cares at least a little bit to do it right do we not?

Your point is understood, so if the person using the Equipment at the factory (or anywhere) misses seating the club by a mm then the whole process goes out the window. So who do you trust and what is a person to do?

"It doesn’t matter clearly, so my recommendation is a very simple one. Build them yourself and never again worry about any of these ”issues”."

It appears above you are telling me personally it does not matter because I am questioning the process, but I do enjoy these conversations about equipment and how things work. You know how sensitive I am so bear with me please, I work with Equipment every day and have a pretty good understanding of things mechanical.

I do build some of my own stuff as a hobby with limited bottom of the barrel equipment, but at least I have a chance of getting it close enough to be usable.

You obviously have great equipment, every clubhead / shaft you want to play with and the knowledge to do anything you want, that is not what all of the rest of us have access to or ever will so we have to pay someone else to do it for the most part.

We have to at least have some faith that the Company / person we are giving our money to cares at least a little bit to do it right do we not?

I didn’t say that at all. In fact questioning anything is fine, which is exactly what I am doing in the local measurements and being different. I said if the process is rough on you, and you can’t get the clubs you want from the factory or places like Club Champion to match the specs you are seeing locally, it would seem that a great next step would be to build yourself.

Epoxy is the only thing needed to attach heads to shafts.

When you want to get loft and lie happy, one of those machines, even a really good one, can be had for less than a set of irons. You already have a swing weight scale.

By doing so, you effectively eliminate any worrying at all and have it right by your own hands every single time, right?

Mine was pretty good. I went in for an iron fitting and ended up with significant improvement in my irons. The fitter was knowledgeable and guided me the right direction.

So I'm thinking about taking advantage of the 50% off deal that they've got going on to get a full bag fitting, but I'd like to hit the new 2020 releases. Anyone have any idea when the new gear usually hits for CC?

So I'm thinking about taking advantage of the 50% off deal that they've got going on to get a full bag fitting, but I'd like to hit the new 2020 releases. Anyone have any idea when the new gear usually hits for CC?
Well the deal usually ends before CC gets the new released gear

Well the deal usually ends before CC gets the new released gear

Saw where it was over at the end of January, I was hoping that some of the Cobra gear would have been in since we already had a "launch" of it. Interested to hit the new irons to determine whether or not an upgrade from the F9 set is worth it.

I plan to book a iron fitting and possibly a Driver for the end of Jan. or take the time to drive up to Wilmington and do one at Peoples Golf and then build what we decide on is best. The fitting is more to confirm the correct shaft and flex, I am real happy with the Miura iron heads and will continue on that path for a while.

The Driver is a question mark right now as I feel I am maxed out with my SS and crappy swing, but who knows about the new tech, maybe squeeze a couple more yards from a perfect shaft fit / head.

Full bag fitting booked for Jan. 31, maybe they will have some of the new stuff in stock. If not I want to sort out the best shafts for my current state of affairs instead of doing the buy and guess thing that I so enjoy. Open to hearing the truth, no matter how painful to the ego.

Did a putter fitting a couple of weeks ago and so far quite happy with the adjustments they made to my putter.

Full bag fitting booked for Jan. 31, maybe they will have some of the new stuff in stock. If not I want to sort out the best shafts for my current state of affairs instead of doing the buy and guess thing that I so enjoy. Open to hearing the truth, no matter how painful to the ego.

Did a putter fitting a couple of weeks ago and so far quite happy with the adjustments they made to my putter.

If you can, break up the irons and woods into two sessions. A full bag in one session is a lot and you’ll get some tired swings that won’t help the overall desired outcome.

I am going to talk to the fitter and see if he can do it the 30 & 31, no sense in making it any more painful than needed.

If you can, break up the irons and woods into two sessions. A full bag in one session is a lot and you’ll get some tired swings that won’t help the overall desired outcome.

When I did my full bag fitting it took almost 3 hrs to do the iron and driver fitting. By the time we had finished the driver fitting I was starting to get tired and my swings showed it. So I'm going back in 2-3 weeks to finished up my fitting with the fairway woods and hybrids. Splitting up the total session is a great idea. (y)

I'm eyeing one in a couple weeks and was thinking the same thing. Seems like it'd be a LOT of swings.

Totally agree Mike. My driver fitting was 50+ swings over 90 minutes and I was done for the day!!

Has anyone had to actually go back after they bought clubs because what you were fit into didn’t work on the course? Just curious how that process goes? Do you go back through the fitting? Can I just tell them I want heavier shafts? How much more $ am I looking at?

I’m planning on it going back after the new year. The shafts just aren’t right. Pretty confident they’re way too light. I’m hitting really low shots. I hit @KY Golfer PW almost as far as my 8i yesterday. He plays DG S300 and mine are Accra iCWT 75 regular flex. I’m seeing a lot of what @JB posted in the lightweight shafts thread

Last edited:
Back