Your Favorite Insert?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
There are so many insert putters nowadays and each one is a bit different. Every one I have tried seems to offer a different sound that is quite unique. For you insert users, what is your favorite and why?

I'm usually a milled putter, but the insert on the Odyssey Milled Collection was my favorite. I am pretty sure its the same that was in the 2015/2016 Works putters.

Really liking the Microhinge Star in the Ten. Somewhat firm feel, but doesn't feel or sound rock hard.

ive tried a few different inserts but my issue is ive tried them on the wrong putter style.
do i like some of them, sure but i dont know how well id like them without them in the correct putter for me.

The Pure Roll insert in the first TP Collection (Berwick) has been better for me than the White Hot Microhinge in the initial Stroke Labs (Seven and Marxman) I've tried. Both put a good roll on the ball, but I was consistently coming up short with the Stroke Labs.

Really liking the Microhinge Star in the Ten. Somewhat firm feel, but doesn't feel or sound rock hard.
This is how I feel.

Microhinge.....or what ever the OWorks was....

Inserts all boil down to sound and then feel for my liking. They either fit into that equation nicely or they dont and then its like trying to fit a triangular peg into a square hole

I am a big fan of Taylormades Pure Role Insert but I have a feeling that is more cause of the confidence I have in my Spider Black....

Now, I think the Odyssey Works Insert with the metal mesh layered over the white hot insert feels absolutely amazing!!

The SL Marxman in my bag might be the only insert putter I've ever gamed long term. I will say it's my favorite because if there was something out there I liked better, it would be in my bag.

Over the years I’ve had loads of insert putters, mostly different types of Odyssey, never truly got on with them. Also had a Scotty Beach back in circa 2011, the one with a white bit of polymer around the insert, and a blue/green/red/yellow dot on the back, didn’t much care for that one either. But currently gaming a Scotty Newport 2 Select (2016-18 model), had it 4 years now, that’s a long time with a putter for me, love the insert in this one, never had such a consistent roll on any putter, with a great sound too.

Lately a milled fan but I think mine is the black insert I have in an old dual force Rossie Blade from the 90’s

I really liked the original Microhinge insert, and I love the Microhinge Star insert on my TTTen. Definitely prefer a firmer insert, if I’m going that route.

More grove than insert, but they called it an insert.
I knowwwww they dont make clubs anymore, but the Method Mod line is still my favorite, in looks and feel.
Have a brand new one in the closet, when my gamer gets damaged.

1594671712496.png

There are only two inserts I have ever liked. The scotty Cameron Teryllium insert for things like the button back and the Bobby Grace insert. Generally I am a pass on inserts as they are too soft.

1594672349867.png

1594672299302.png

Still like the O Works insert the best. Like the soft feeling. Hasn’t really left my bag since it came out. Tried the stroke lab briefly last year but quickly went back to it

I actually like the sound/feel of taylormade's insert.

Personally, I prefer no insert at all. Give me milling or give me death. ;)

whatever's in the elevado

I don't know what the called it but always had a fondness to one of the original Odyssey inserts. I believe it was made of the same or similar materials as the golf ball.

i've liked all the odyssey inserts over the last few years, but if i have to choose one, then probably microhinge star

Hey @Jman is it going to be copper with pyramids soon?

Hands down, the German Stainless Steel insert on my SC Studio Style. True distance, soft feel without being muddy, dull, or numb.
SC Face.jpg

I think there Microhinge Star is about as good as it can get with an insert. They did a great job with that one.

Back