Your First Golf Memory

My first golf memory was at age 6 traveling past a golf course close to Michigan State University in East Lansing and having a golf ball strike the windshield right in front of me on the fly. The adrenaline rush that followed made it a memorable experience.

No one in my immediate family played, until I took lessons at age 13.

I only played with my Grandfather at his FL course one time. He played in MA, but they wintered in FL and I played as a 14 year old with him. I was awful.
I remember coming back to their condo and my father asking how did he do. My grandfather said "He would be a great Red Sox, because he has power to all fields".

Oh man it seems like your grandfather had a great sense of humor!!! If he could only see you now. He would say JB takes it right down the middle in between Lou Whittaker & Alan Trammell!

• Haha
Reactions: JB
First round in rain is SO golf too eh?! hahaha
It was :ROFLMAO: In fact, while we were playing the last hole, as my friend and I were setting up on opposite sides of the fairway, he called out "Now you understand how golfers play in the rain without thinking about it" and laughed.

1987, Camp Lejuene NC. Hole 3, par 3 got my first birdie. :golf2:

Oh man it seems like your grandfather had a great sense of humor!!! If he could only see you now. He would say JB takes it right down the middle in between Lou Whittaker & Alan Trammell!

That is a bit too Pure Michigan, but true. :ROFLMAO:

I would go with my dad who had golf clubs but didnt really play golf to a group of baseball fields and we would hit balls from field to field or at bases. I think I was 10 or 11. Then I started actually playing golf as a freshman in high school.

I played my first round of golf in 1972, so you're asking me to go back a long time. I can remember that before I actually played golf on a course, I can remember hitting balls in a field behind my house with some neighborhood friends.

I was 4 or 5 y.o., my father and grandfather both played. My grandfather has extensive gardens in back of his house, and a shed with old golf clubs and gardening stuff. One day he took me back there and sawed off what I recall as a hickory shafted Wilson 4i of some sort. Then taught me to whack it along the rows of raspberry bushes. Not long after that, we cut down a steel shafted 9i to a slightly longer length, that was probably age 5. We moved from Portland OR to upstate NY when I was six, and he passed away right after the move. I took those clubs to NY with me, I think they are still in my parents attic. I can't recall that I ever played a round on course with my grandfather. I do remember that first club though. A year or so later I remember visiting Portland and playing with my other set of grandparents at what would have been Progress Downs at the time.

Not exactly golf related, but my grandparents lived in a neighborhood in Beaverton adjacent to Portland Golf Club, and real young I would ride my BMX alone around the neighborhood jumping cracks in the sidewalk. Every time I passed that place I was in awe.

Driving range as a teenager, trying to be cool and happy Gilmore it.. also when baseketball came out so yelling "STEEEEEEVE PERRRY" and "I heard your mom slept with ........ SQUEAK!" when my friend was up and he launched the club into the middle of the range

Yes, I remember it like it was yesterday. My grandpa took me to the range for the first time with his graphite shafted Tommy Armour clubs. RIP Grandpa.

I was 17 years old and and in my first job. A fellow workmate was a keen golfer and his 12 yo son Mike was a scratch player. He was always pestering me to take up golf, so I made the effort one morning to go out to the golf course before work to watch them hit balls. That was my first experience in golf and one that left me with no inclination to play the game.
My workmate's daughter married Payne Stewart and his son finished his apprenticeship as a golf professional at Royal Queensland Golf Club under Charlie Erp (Greg Norman followed Mike. Erp stated that Mike Ferguson was the best trainee he taught).

It was :ROFLMAO: In fact, while we were playing the last hole, as my friend and I were setting up on opposite sides of the fairway, he called out "Now you understand how golfers play in the rain without thinking about it" and laughed.
I think of all the things I'd refuse to do in weather that I golf in and it makes me laugh, for sure!

My first memory was some kind advice from an old golfer we didn't know. I was probably around 10 or 11? No one we knew back then golfed but as kids we were always cutting across a couple holes to get at some good brook trout fishing behind the course. I'm sure we were just an unintentional annoyance to most of the golfers and I get why they would yell at us sometimes. But this one old guy took a couple minutes one day to explain what trees we should stop behind and what to look for on those tee boxes before we dashed across those fairways. He told us used to fish the same place too. I took up golf myself years later after I joined the USAF.

Lakewood Par-3 in High Point, NC. 9 holes between 51 and 121 yds. That sure seemed long for an 8- or 9-yr old. You could play all day for $6, but we never did.

The tee boxes were these black rubber mats with a thin strip of fake grass in the middle. They were so old, the middle of every grass strip was worn way down, almost completely gone in places. Easily, years and years of play on these mats.

My dad took my brother and me semi-regularly. I'd love to go back, but it's long gone now.

4th grade, so 9 or 10, when a new family moved into town who had a huge property just on the outskirts of town, but within a bicycle ride for me. One of the boys was a classmate of mine. His pops put in a 9 hole golf course, holes ranging in length from maybe 75 to 175 yards. He would lower the mower deck for a sudo-green, cut holes and put in flags. One was even over a pond! We'd play for HOURS and hours, and for several years. This buddy and I still play golf together a handful of times per year, and reminisce. His pops also took us to a few local courses to play "real golf". Sadly his dad passed away way too young, in his 50s. But every time I get nostalgic about this game and its impact on me, and now as I play with my own wife and daughters, I give a nod to heaven to him. All the feels, all the feeds. :)

My first memory is probably walking around the little par 3 course with my dad when he was out with a couple of friends. I think my mom made him take me and he wouldn't let me take any swings but I knew then that I wanted up play the sport. My dad wasn't a big golfer but after that day I was able to talk him in to buying me some really cheap clubs and the rest is history.

Carrying a bag for my Dad in SCAL. He had bought this tooled leather bag in Mexico and it was heavy. I was dragging it by the middle of the back 9, must have been 10 or 11.
Started playing, my dad was all about short game and putting (being a short hitter). I was how far could you hit the ball, saying when we go to the clubhouse all the guys were talking about how far someone hit it. Enjoyed playing some father son scrambles with him.

Had to be in 7th or 8th grade. I borrowed my older brothers clubs and and my buddy across the street did the same. We both took 2 buses to Edgebrook Golf Course in Chicago. I call it Wedgebrook now cause its so short and kinda pitiful but then neither of us had golfed before and it looked great then. The only thing from that day I remember is the 4th hole was like 96 yds straight up over a river. Not knowing how to golf then I took driver out of my bag and ripped one straight into the side of the hill below the green. Shoulda used a wedge but at that time I had no clue! I still laugh when I think about that! :D

Two memories:

Receiving my first set of clubs from my parents in Middle School.

Playing the local executive 9 with two of my buddies and a random, probably in his 20s at the time, super congenial guy, we make it to 9 and I have a 5 footer left and he says to me "If you make this putt" I'll buy you and your friends gatorades.

I can't remember if I asked him what I had to buy him if I missed. Thankfully I made the putt. Now I'm a degenerate gambler...

Me giving Yags his winnings after one of the practice rounds at the MC this year:

AD2331A4-E25F-4EE9-9C2C-D92A17EBA9BA.jpeg

Two memories:

Receiving my first set of clubs from my parents in Middle School.

Playing the local executive 9 with two of my buddies and a random, probably in his 20s at the time, super congenial guy, we make it to 9 and I have a 5 footer left and he says to me "If you make this putt" I'll buy you and your friends gatorades.

I can't remember if I asked him what I had to buy him if I missed. Thankfully I made the putt. Now I'm a degenerate gambler...

Me giving Yags his winnings after one of the practice rounds at the MC this year:

View attachment 8977444
hahaha I have a feeling he would have bought the gatorades out of pity had you missed.

Back