In 1986 I was 18 and my pops bought me a S W E E T new set of Northwestern blades and real wood woods from Montgomery Ward along with an 8802 putter. I learned how to play on those clubs and at a Golden West College golf class in Huntington Beach, CA. Our "final" exam was at our favorite 9 hole track built next to a trailer park right off of HB Blvd/PCH.

My first set was a youth set when i was 8 or 9 and I have since passed it on to my niece to play around with. I still remember them. They were McGregor woods & Irons, the woods were actually wood with the metal plate on the face.

My first real set when I was about 14 was my dads old Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scot 3-PW + SW. Had a cheap sub 300cc driver that he won years earlier along with a Dunlop 3 wood from the driving range and a putter he won in a raffle that had a crooked grip. Had those clubs up until maybe 4 years ago. Since then I have become the definition of a club ho.

My first set my uncle built or had built for me for my 13th birthday. I used them for about 15 years before I bought my X-22's in 2009. I don't even remember the name of the clubs. I bought a driver, "The Judge" from Schottenstein's along with a Mcgregor 3 and 5 wood.

Let's not count the golf set I borrowed from my father in law, who was short, which I started on the driving range with. I eventually realized they were ladies clubs.

I bought myself a set of Excalibur irons, which were cheap versions of callaway big bertha's, complete with the plastic sticker at the back of the face. I also got a macGregor driver which I gave away months later because I couldn't hit the thing properly. Anyway, one of the stickers of the irons fell off, I guess it was the 7 iron, and I was always wondering if losing the sticker at the back would mean anything to its performance. It turns out that it wouldn't have mattered because my swing was lousy.

Eventually the 7 iron broke and I sold the set away to raise money for a new one.

My first real set of clubs was a big bertha knock off driver, taylor made 3 wood (titanium shaft), 2-sw tommy armour 845bc, don't remember the putter. I still had the irons up until a couple years ago when my apartment was broken into.

It was a kids set. Ram 9I, 7I, 5I, 3I, 3W and driver. It came with a putter as well, and a bag.

I had a Wilson set 1,3,5 woods, tour model pro power 4-SW and Wilson putter. They were all hand-me-downs from my Father in Law. I still have the set, broke the 1-wood and 3 wood.

I would still be gaming the irons this season if my co-worker hadn't given me his set of XPC-3000 Irons. They have a bigger head and graphite shafts.

This season being my first full season of serious golfing, I have added quite a few clubs to my bag (added a new bag too)

Tour Edge Xrail 12* draw
Callaway X N415 3 & 5 woods
Wilson Staff D-100 3Hy
Cobra Baffler 4HY
Adams Tom Watson 3 wedge set 52-56-60
Tigershark Putter w/ SS slim 3.0 grip
TM San Clemente Bag
Footjoy shoes
countless balls...

There were a few guys in my house who golfed, so I would just borrow their clubs. I finally wanted my own set, so went to Target and bought Northwesterns with an Arnold Palmer bag.

My first set was a RAM box set that I got when I started playing after college.

First set for me was a starter set from DSG, a Dunlop set 3-pw, driver, 3w, 5w and a putter, left handed of course :) The wood and iron shafts were so whippy and they weren't put together very well. The driver head came off twice. The first time I was able to retrieve the head and get a replacement driver, the second time, not so lucky as the head flew 70 yards in front of me which into a water Hazzard. First fitted clubs I owned was the Cleveland TA7's. Love those clubs but the club ho-ing in me started to go crazy. Replaced those with Mizuno MP32's.

Post via Taptalk

My first set was a Adams Tight Lies... still have it in my garage!

My first set was a Wilson Sam Sneed Blue Ridge starter set. My first full set of clubs were Spalding Tourneys. But what pretty much dates me is that my first pair of golf shoes had kilties and my golf pants were beltless.

First set, Jack Nicklaus Golden Bears. Felt like they two pound sledge hammers!!

My first set was a Wilson Sam Sneed Blue Ridge starter set. My first full set of clubs were Spalding Tourneys. But what pretty much dates me is that my first pair of golf shoes had kilties and my golf pants were beltless.
Made by Sam Sneed himself?? ;)

my first set was an old set of spalding blades, 2-P with wooden 1-3-5 woods. my hands hurt byt hinking about it.

that bladed 2 iron.... OUCH!

First official set of clubs that were not a children's hodgepodge set were a Great Big Bertha driver/3 wood, ping putter (can't recall the name though it's in my bag), and Ping ISIK Blue Dot irons circa 1996. I have since updated the driver and 3 wood, but still play the irons. Have added an assortment of different wedges as I have come across them. Currently in the market for a new set of irons to take advantage of technology upgrades from the last 20 years. No plans to get right of the putter.

Of the irons, the 8 is starting to rust on the shaft and the 6/7 irons are slightly bent in the shaft. Can't wait for some new clubs.

Still have them but scared to swing them, set of MacGregor blades from 1973 2-PW with persimmon 1-3-5 wood and a Tommy Armour IM putter that doesn't even see light anymore, had a pro offer 900 for it about 20 years ago.

My first set was from a brand called Legend. Was the only left handed set I could get a hold of under $ 1.000,-. Quality was awful, the head of the 8i is sitting on the bottom of a lake after it came off on a par-3, and the driver head was filled with some sort of resin that leaked out and messed up the trunk of my car.

My first set was a hand me down set of TaylorMade Firesole's.

Mine were a Pine Meadow complete set I bought from Academy for $189, bag and all. The driver and hybrids were square. I had them for several years, but only played with them a few times. I thought the fact they were standard length was holding me back, so I went for a fitting and bought the cheapest set of custom clubs I could find (Acer XS HT from Hireko). Those are what I still play.

If I remember correctly they were my dad's set after he bought new ones....Spalding Tours I believe. They would be over 20 years old right now.

My first set was some Sonic 2000s, was the cheapest full set Sports Authority had, bought them when I was 12 after a summer of mowing lawns for neighbors. They lasted me quite a while, except the driver head snapped off one cold morning, never could hit it anyway, now it's a nice dust-collector on my desk at my office. Eventually gave them to a buddy, they came back to me not long ago, wish I had tried them at the range again just to see if they were really that awful or if it was me back then, but sent them off to Goodwill instead. Used the bag that came with the set until just 2 years ago.

My grandfather made my first set when I was really little. I may have been 4 years old at the time? Too bad I didn't stick with it during my younger years. Would rather be making money on the course than what I'm doing now.

I have no idea what the brand was but they were bought from Walmart. I was just a kid though so that was probably a good call on my parents part.

Back