Your Hypothetical 2020 WITB - Whatcha Thinking?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Title says it.

Sure, some are somewhat unknowns from companies, but, working on what we know, what do you envision your 2020 WITB to look like? Where are your biggest curiosities or hangups at?

This should be simple for the Grandaddy guys, a bunch of blanks to be filled in a couple weeks ;)

That's a tough question... Before I joined THP I didn't really change the bag up often and now that has changed a ton. I really like the Ben Hogan clubs I got at the event last year but I'm always anxious to see if there is something out there that suits my game better.

Driver - Something new. Cobra or Mavrik for the W?
FW woods - Based on what @mikeg_74 said last night on his interview with @JDax might upgrade to a Mavrik 3/4W??!!
Irons - Keep coming back to the Mizuno HMB's.
Wedges - Set w/ some Vokey's, just need to find me some UST Mamiya wedge F5's
Putter - Evnroll 8.3, gonna stick with it.

For the first time in a long time I am 100% happy with my current bag, but in true THPer fashion, tinkers gonna tinker!

I'll test out new driver and fairway woods. I'll tinker with a XForged UT and a new Toulon will make its way to the bag.

Driver - maybe Cobra Speedzone or the new Callaway Mavrik
FW Woods - add another Ping G410 SFT or try the new Callaway Mavrik
Irons - Epic Forged. Currently using Rogues and have got them dialed in pretty well I think since I got them a couple months back. Irons are one of the stronger parts of my game currently.
Wedges - Jaws
Putter - one of the new Callaway mallet putters

My current WITB is fantastic top of the end equipment and I don't need to change since I'll probably just be the same golfer I was in 2017,2018,2019 etc.....

BUT if I had to decide I would probably pursue the Super Hybrid as my one and only club change at that price range.

For the first time in a long time I am 100% happy with my current bag, but in true THPer fashion, tinkers gonna tinker!

I'll test out new driver and fairway woods. I'll tinker with a XForged UT and a new Toulon will make its way to the bag.

Same boat. Really happy with the bag as I ahve been reforming it over the last few weeks. That being said, one or two good THP experiences may completely turn that on its head. :D

My bag will obviously be Callaway this upcoming year, but I'm really curious to find out how exactly that plays out. I've previously gone D, 3W, 5h, but my new 5w is exceptional. I haven't had a chance to really test the hybrids yet, but will be doing so shortly, so really wondering how the end of the bag will shake out.

I've been thinking about trying to go hybrid with my 5 and 6 irons. I keep track of my iron shots during rounds and those are the irons that I struggle with the most. Overall my iron play is where I could really impact the quality of my play this year.

Most likely, 2020 will be the same gear as I have now with my business being down and a few big vacations planned before my son’s senior year. That said, there is no fun in that so I am going to dream and say:

The least likely i would change would be the top of my bag. If I did:
New Callaway or Cobra driver
New Callaway or Epic Flash fairway woods

the thing I most likely will change if given the chance are my 5-AW. Interested in a lot of different sets, but most likely would be CobraForgedTec or Callaway Apex combo/Epic Forged/yet to be released irons

I will stick with Exo Marksman and MD5 wedges

I don’t have any specifics nailed down, but for 2020 I’d like to replace my hybrids and fairway wood with something more modern. I’m currently using a couple of Mashie hybrids and a Cleveland Classic 3 wood.

I’d also like to acquire a driver and learn how to actually hit it, but that one isn’t really a priority. Even people that seem to know what they’re doing struggle with the big stick, so I probably have no business swinging one.

no changes, perfectly happy with bag. lol

The only thing that could change from my current bag would be my putter, but if I was looking to put together a new bag I would look at something like this

Driver - Callaway Mavrik
FW - Callaway new offering in 3W
Utility / Driving iron - Srixon ZU85 is a great club so would need something special to remove it from my bag
Irons - Srixon Z-Forged or look at the new Callaway offerings
Wedges - Cleveland RTX4 / Callaway Jaws
Putter - New Odyssey/Toulon offering would be on the radar

I would hit others, but those are the ones that immediately jump to the front of the queue based on my fitting from this year

The only set thing in my bag are my irons, some slightly used 919 Forged w/ Recoils.;)
Thought I would be all set with my SL DW until I heard the siren song of that BOP. If, like you said in your review @Jman it is a firmer feel, I can see that going in.

I plan to stick to what I have now since according to my fitting it’s all optimal for me. I got my hc down quite a bit last year and played with the same clubs from the Hogan event until now. That’s the longest stretch I’ve ever had without doing a complete overhaul. So I think for me witb consistency is key. We’ll see how it plays out but that’s the plan

Driver is only TBD right now - TS3 or Mavrik
Fairway - TS3
Hybrid - TS2
Irons - T100
Vokey SM8
Toulon Garage Madison

As I take more lessons and improve, I will put all the Ben Hogan clubs back in the bag. I enjoy playing them a lot!

If money was no object. (sadly it is)

Driver - It is going to be tough for anything to beat my epic flash 3D with Ventus blue 7X.
3 wood - I am currently looking for one. I do not carry one at the moment.
Utility - I love my Cobra King utility iron set to 18 degrees, going to keep rolling with it.
Irons - I would love a set of Ping blueprints with Nippon 130X shafts.
Wedge - looking to try the SM8s
Putter - Really like my kronos release long neck.

I have 3 sets of irons to choose from so I imagine that there will be some tinkering along the way, but I would like to think the MP20 combo set MBs and HMBs will occupy greatest amount of time. TS3 3 wood has me very excited and I imagine it will stick around. Spider X treated me well, so I can see that one staying the season. RTX 4 raw wedges should last the season. Then the driver... I have loved the 400 LST, but I cant stop thinking I want a TS3 with a Diamana DF in the worst way.

Knowing myself, I will likely buy that at some point. Possibly a second putter as well if Ping brings something out that I really like. You know, gotta have 3 full sets worth done ya... haha.

I also was 100% happy with what's currently in my bag, but amazing news :twist: on Black Friday will now change that.
I will let fittings determine my actual bag, but until then, I envision it looking somewhat like this....

Driver - Cobra SZ
3 wood - Cobra SZ
Utility - Cobra SZ
Irons - Cobra Forged Tech
Wedge - Cobra MIM's or Kings

MAYBEEEE the new Cobra driver
Definitely a couple new wedges, I was all set to go Jaws, but the SM8 have my attention.

Rest of the bag will stand as is, as everything is working pretty well for me right now

I don’t have any specifics nailed down, but for 2020 I’d like to replace my hybrids and fairway wood with something more modern. I’m currently using a couple of Mashie hybrids and a Cleveland Classic 3 wood.

I’d also like to acquire a driver and learn how to actually hit it, but that one isn’t really a priority. Even people that seem to know what they’re doing struggle with the big stick, so I probably have no business swinging one.
I'm super happy with my Big Bertha OS Hybrids

What UT you thinking?

I am definitely not looking to move on my irons. I think any red-blooded American golfer is can be lured into a new driver so I will never say never, but I am happy there right now too. The next thing I am going to buy is 2 new wedges. I am going to get some SM7's at lower prices as the SM8 comes out. I want 2 that are higher loft and bounce. I am thinking a 52.12 bent to 51.11 and a 56.10. Next would be a new fairway wood. I will get fit for that and see what comes of it, but that will probably be spring or summer.

Callaway driver 10.5
Callaway 3w
Callaway 3h
Callaway apex combo 5-Aw
Md4 54
Jaws 58
Custom odyssey stroke lab 10
Ogio shadow fuse

Back