Your take on limiting technology in a golf ball?

Everyone wants "statistics".... Here are some great ones..

In 1993 a mere 20 years ago John Daly led the PGA tour in driving distance. He averaged 288.9.. In 2012, he would have been in 104th place led by Bubba @315.5.. 104th place in 1993 Was Jay Don Blake @258.1 yards.. In 2013, the Champions tour leader, (one of us old guys) is John Huston @ 295.2 who in 1993 (his prime) averaged 270.6..

Look at Jack Nicklaus'' average driver distance compared to Ben Hogan's

Everyone wants "statistics".... Here are some great ones..

In 1993 a mere 20 years ago John Daly led the PGA tour in driving distance. He averaged 288.9.. In 2012, he would have been in 104th place led by Bubba @315.5.. 104th place in 1993 Was Jay Don Blake @258.1 yards.. In 2013, the Champions tour leader, (one of us old guys) is John Huston @ 295.2 who in 1993 (his prime) averaged 270.6..
I'm not sure what the point of all of this is honestly, and I'm not sure why I care either. But, I don't think many will argue that golfers are hitting it longer, higher, with more spin and control. So? It's across the board. The deal is why does this governing body need to meddle in something that is quite frankly making this game more enjoyable? There are plenty of other things they could be working on. One of which is why did they make such a poor decision on belly putter. Or how are they going to get the youth of today to carry this game to tomorrow

I guess it must be only the ball right? Here are some stats.
Cleveland Golf introduced the 1st 460cc driver by a major company in 2003.
Since the turn of the century, drivers have gotten better in both aerodynamics and construction.
Since 2006 fitting has gone scientific and used by every golfer on a major tour.
Since 2009 shaft technology has gotten lighter, longer and more stable.

Look at Jack Nicklaus'' average driver distance compared to Ben Hogan's

Ironically it was close to about 25-40 I have been told. Whether or not that is accurate, I am unsure. However both were considered rather long. Amazing that Jack did not want to roll the ball back back then isnt it?

Is it just me or have things gotten a little feisty in here the past few pages? :bicker:

Well it may not be a problem to you but it is to those who in charge of the rules....

And apparently some amateurs who are also just as narrow minded and only focusing on one stat for the select few.

I guess it must be only the ball right? Here are some stats.
Cleveland Golf introduced the 1st 460cc driver by a major company in 2003.
Since the turn of the century, drivers have gotten better in both aerodynamics and construction.
Since 2006 fitting has gone scientific and used by every golfer on a major tour.
Since 2009 shaft technology has gotten lighter, longer and more stable.

all true and almost exactly what I stated several pages back but you had to go throw in years and show me up :D. I do appreciate the years honestly.

Lets not for get the fairways are cut shorter and play harder and faster than they did 10 yrs ago, due to new strains of grass, better course maintenance and prep by the grounds crew. When guys are getting 20 or 30 yards of roll that skews the numbers a bit as well since very few courses play that way due to too much of a hassel to maintain.

Ironically it was close to about 25-40 I have been told. Whether or not that is accurate, I am unsure. However both were considered rather long. Amazing that Jack did not want to roll the ball back back then isnt it?

We won't bring up Old Tom Morris, much less Young Tom Morris.

Old Union in North Georgia has a 300 yard par 3, it's only 250 yards from the blue tees though.

Last edited:
Saw a kid drive over the green on a 330 yard par 4.

Ended up with a nice double bogie. It was cool though.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Am I the only one that doesn't want golf to get too easy? I see a lot of posts saying that anything that makes the game easier is a good thing, but I'm having a hard time agreeing with that. There has to be a limit somewhere. I enjoy reaching the green on short par 4's at my home course as much as anybody, but I also think it's wrong that someone of my ability can do so. It's not that I care about the integrity of the game or want to go back to older equipment. I will use whatever they let me if it helps. I just don't think that par 4's should play like 3's and par 5's play like 4's.

Am I the only one that doesn't want golf to get too easy? I see a lot of posts saying that anything that makes the game easier is a good thing, but I'm having a hard time agreeing with that. There has to be a limit somewhere. I enjoy reaching the green on short par 4's at my home course as much as anybody, but I also think it's wrong that someone of my ability can do so. It's not that I care about the integrity of the game or want to go back to older equipment. I will use whatever they let me if it helps. I just don't think that par 4's should play like 3's and par 5's play like 4's.

Then move back a tee.

If the game gets easier, more people will probably play it. More people who play it means more course stay open and more new courses are developed.

I'm not saying we should all use robots. Regardless of the ball or clubs, the biggest variable that affects the shot the most is the idiot swinging the club. As long as it doesn't take away the golfer's chance to screw up the shot, I'm ok with it

Then move back a tee.

If the game gets easier, more people will probably play it. More people who play it means more course stay open and more new courses are developed.

I'm not saying we should all use robots. Regardless of the ball or clubs, the biggest variable that affects the shot the most is the idiot swinging the club. As long as it doesn't take away the golfer's chance to screw up the shot, I'm ok with it

Have to agree here. More people playing the better.

Then move back a tee.

I can't. I'm already as far back as I can go on my home course.

I think it's also important to realize though that golfers like us are the exception and not the norm. Your "average" player can't hit the short par 4 in 1. Most golfers will never break 90.

And like blugold said, that's why you have the option to move back a tee if you feel the game is too easy. What's your handicap out of curiosity?

I can't. I'm already as far back as I can go on my home course.

Then enjoy your course being short. Your handicap calculation should take into account your courses easy.

I think it's also important to realize though that golfers like us are the exception and not the norm. Your "average" player can't hit the short par 4 in 1. Most golfers will never break 90.

And like blugold said, that's why you have the option to move back a tee if you feel the game is too easy. What's your handicap out of curiosity?

I don't have a handicap at the moment. Right now I'm shooting around 106 to 109 on that course. So no, it really doesn't make the game any easier for me. I still have a lot of short game problems. It just feels weird to me to be able to reach a par 4 in one.

It really isn't something I can put my finger on as to why it bothers me. I guess it's just like some people getting bothered by jeans or cargo shorts.

I don't have a handicap at the moment. Right now I'm shooting around 106 to 109 on that course. So no, it really doesn't make the game any easier for me. I still have a lot of short game problems. It just feels weird to me to be able to reach a par 4 in one.

It really isn't something I can put my finger on as to why it bothers me. I guess it's just like some people getting bothered by jeans or cargo shorts.

I am honestly thoroughly confused. If shooting 106 to 109, I can't fathom saying the game is getting too easy. Not a knock on you personally, but even if I am playing at 5900 yards and shooting high 70's or low 80's I would never say the game is getting too easy.

It sounds to me like you driving this par 4 and it being short is the exception and not the norm. If you were playing a course where every single par 4 was 300 and under and you were driving each green then I could see the thought about it being too easy.

To each his own though.

I could understand what Kobey is getting at. The game is not supose to be easy. I can agree that seperate rules for pro's vs amateurs can be a good thing but there would still have to a line drawn somewhere. If they ever did put this system in place we would still require limitations.

I believe some would agree that we (as amateurs) shouldn't all just be able to just hit 300 yrd (or more) shots at will because the balls and equipment we use simply runs away with technology and no limits. We shouldnt be able to create huge amounts of spin off our wedges at will, We shouldnt be able to use tech to apoint where the average 95 score golfer is all a sudden consistantly shooting an 82 simply because of technology. I think the game would lose integrity even for the amateur if it were allowed to simply run away with technology.

With that said, the pro's having different limitaions and rules is fine but there should still be limitations for the amateur as well. A bit more lenient but still exist. And this doesnt just pertain to equipment but also the playing rules themselves as many us have discussed in other threads many times. I dont think anyone was ever looking to suggest no rules but just some to be different enough to make the game more enjoyable for the amateur while leaving the hardest things for the best of the best to compete against each other in thier very small world. The same IMO should apply to equipment limitations.

To repeat what I and plenty others have also mentioned. This whole idea that they must do something even if it were to only be at the pro level is too far over rated and not the huge issue they seem to convince themselves that it is. Not everyone at all is doing what they are talking about and its actually the minority even amongst themselves.

However i dont think they should allow it to continue to grow because then it will become more and more of them and eventually it will actually become that over rated problem they feel it already is. Stop it where it is now but dont turn it back is how i feel about it. Alow the ones (the few) who can surpass others (in relation to distance) to keep doing it. Allow the smaller percent of the already small pecent of those who have that special ability to showcase it. There are those who are great at creating tons of spin and work the wedge like magic over others at that level too. So be it!. Evereytime someone gets great at something are they going to say "hey, wait!", "we cant allow this", "he's too good at that". What kind of friggin idiotic thinking is that? They are supose to be grteat and then there are those among the greats who excell in certain areas above the rest at doing certain things and are even greater at it. Thats part of what makes every sport so great. The apreciation, respect, and admiration we have for the ability of the proffessioonal to do what they do. And even more so for the proffessional who stands out among the other proffessionals in certain areas of ability. Thats why not all players are in the hall of fames in thier respective sports.

Leave it where it is right now. No more, no less. a move in either direction will not be a good thing IMO. let us continue to admire the amazing things professionals can do. let the greats of the greats showcae themselves and stand out among the rest in the areas they excell. Its all part of what makes it all so great in any sport. Dont punish them for it and certainly dont punish us for it.

I am honestly thoroughly confused. If shooting 106 to 109, I can't fathom saying the game is getting too easy. Not a knock on you personally, but even if I am playing at 5900 yards and shooting high 70's or low 80's I would never say the game is getting too easy.

It sounds to me like you driving this par 4 and it being short is the exception and not the norm. If you were playing a course where every single par 4 was 300 and under and you were driving each green then I could see the thought about it being too easy.

To each his own though.

That's what's hard for me to explain. I don't think the game is too easy, but I also don't think it's too hard. I think it's fine right where it is. If I go to a nicer course that has lots of tee boxes, I can pick the one that's right for me. But I don't have that luxury at home. If I want to play regularly, I have to play an inexpensive course, and the ones nearest me are short ones.

So it isn't that the game is getting easy for me. I struggle no matter what type of course I'm on. The thing that's bothering me is my perception that it's getting easy. I consider a 300 yard par 4 an easy hole, yet I can still birdie it one round and get an 8 on it the next.

It's like my comment earlier about tee boxes. If all we were concerned about was making the game easier, we'd all be hitting from the front tees. Yet we don't. In fact, there are lots of people that hit from the tips even when they shouldn't. So the challenge is part of the game for us. Yet we will use any legal option to give us more distance from the middle and back tees to try and make up for it. This seems like a contradiction to me. We want to shoot from the tips, yet we want clubs and balls that give us the same distance we would have from the middle or front.

It sounds like our resistance to changing the ball isn't really about whether or not it will make the game harder, it's whether or not our egos will be able to handle it.

I believe some would agree that we (as amateurs) shouldn't all just be able to just hit 300 yrd (or more) shots at will because the balls and equipment we use simply runs away with technology and no limits. We shouldnt be able to create huge amounts of spin off our wedges at will, We shouldnt be able to use tech to apoint where the average 95 score golfer is all a sudden consistantly shooting an 82 simply because of technology. I think the game would lose integrity even for the amateur if it were allowed to simply run away with technology

No offense to you or anyone else. But can we stop the dang lying? There are rules limiting every piece of equipment out there already. Trying to argue about creating rules and blatantly ignore or being oblivious to the rules already out there isn't going to help your case at all, and only spreads the lies.

Read the rules on how equipment, including balls, are already limited before you make such a statement.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

No offense to you or anyone else. But can we stop the dang lying? There are rules limiting every piece of equipment out there already. Trying to argue about creating rules and blatantly ignore or being oblivious to the rules already out there isn't going to help your case at all, and only spreads the lies.

Read the rules on how equipment, including balls, are already limited before you make such a statement.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

I agree with you there in that there are already limits. But since we have the limits, how can the club and ball companies keep saying that their products are longer every year? Either the limits aren't working very well or somebody else is lying.

I could understand what Kobey is getting at. The game is not supose to be easy. I can agree that seperate rules for pro's vs amateurs can be a good thing but there would still have to a line drawn somewhere. If they ever did put this system in place we would still require limitations.

I believe some would agree that we (as amateurs) shouldn't all just be able to just hit 300 yrd (or more) shots at will because the balls and equipment we use simply runs away with technology and no limits. We shouldnt be able to create huge amounts of spin off our wedges at will, We shouldnt be able to use tech to apoint where the average 95 score golfer is all a sudden consistantly shooting an 82 simply because of technology. I think the game would lose integrity even for the amateur if it were allowed to simply run away with technology.

With that said, the pro's having different limitaions and rules is fine but there should still be limitations for the amateur as well. A bit more lenient but still exist. And this doesnt just pertain to equipment but also the playing rules themselves as many us have discussed in other threads many times. I dont think anyone was ever looking to suggest no rules but just some to be different enough to make the game more enjoyable for the amateur while leaving the hardest things for the best of the best to compete against each other in thier very small world. The same IMO should apply to equipment limitations.

There are currently plenty of restrictions on equipment.

I agree with you there in that there are already limits. But since we have the limits, how can the club and ball companies keep saying that their products are longer every year? Either the limits aren't working very well or somebody else is lying.

Marketing... Lying...

Tomatoe tomatoe

My take is NO. I'm so tired of the USGA and R&A attacking industry innovation. Maybe I'd feel different if they didn't always react 30 years late. If they want to cap off the current level of golf ball, fine. If they want to take a step backwards and force us to use golf ball technology from 10+ years ago, not cool

~Rock

Back