You're off the green. Do you leave the pin in or take it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I chipping I usually leave it in. If Im putting off of the fringe I always pull it

Normally I will pull the pin when just off the green.

I prefer the pin out if im right around the fringe or just off. I tend to visualize the shot on where to land it and roll it in better for some reason, plus whenever I leave it in I seem to bounce it off.

Usually depends on what I'm trying to do. Generally if I'm off the green I'll leave it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave it in. Once heard a stat that if you keep the pin in you have a better chance of making it.

I always leave it in, unless it's not my turn and somebody else takes it out for somebody else (whether putting or just off themselves). I'm not confident either way is truly better so don't care too much, but if it's my turn I always leave it in knowing there's at least a chance of it hitting and dropping. Unless a big change in direction from a glancing blow could potentially push me into a hazard, I just don't see any disadvantage to hitting the flagstick.

Majority of the time I take it out, gives the ball more time to drop. I might leave it in on a downhill chip where I figure it will really be cruising. Or if I'm pretty short sided on a chip and figure the ball might get to the whole off a bounce or two, and have a chance of catching the pin of a bounce.

I will always take the pin out whenever it's possible. Sometimes a great shot can become a good shot because you hit the pin. I hate when I hit a chip or a putt and it stays out because the pin is in.

I think I prefer the pin out almost every time. I do tend to leave it in if it's a downhill chip or a low-percentage putt but the last time I left it in the pin was the reason the ball didn't go in. The wind blew it to one side of the hole and it decided to play goalie for a bit.

I usually leave it in as a mental thing. I'll be more aggressive with it in.

I will pull it on most of my chutts, putts, and bump and runs. Other than that, I keep it in.

I usually will leave it in the hole, but if everyone is on the green and someone has already pulled the flag, I'll just take my shot with the flag out.

Dave Pelz says leave it in.

The only time I would take it out, is if the pin won't sit properly in the cup, and it's leaning towards me.

I take the pin out if I think I can make the chip or putt and don't want anything crazy to happen. If it's downhill and I may feel like I could hit it too hard, I'm going to keep it in. Probably 75% out.

I take the pin out when I feel I have a makable chip or putt from off the green. I leave the pin in on down hill chips and shots that have a lower percentage of going in.

Same here. If I really think I'm going to make it, I'll pull it. If it's iffy, I might just leave it in.

I leave it in if allowed to. Gonna help more often than not.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

:act-up:I leave it in...for some reason it helps me with my depth perception..most of the courses I play are shortish in length..but very very undulated greens. Helps me see undulations

I always leave it in.

For some reason when I take it out, I am likely to leave the chip, putt or whatever short.

I leave it in unless I'm putting. Visually, just visually makes it seem more like a regular putt if the pin is out.

If I'm chipping, the pin is always staying in. If I'm putting from the fringe, I'll usually pull it out if it's not too long of a putt. If I'm off the fringe and still putting, I'll almost always leave it in.

Unless the wind is blowing it towards me, I leave it in.

I made a similar thread over five years ago, but instead of bumping that old thread, why not ask the question to the new faces of THP?

You have the option to leave the pin in if you are not actually on the green. Do you? When don't you? Do you leave it in if you are chipping from off the green but pull it if you are putting from the fringe? Uphill or downhill? What influences your decision to leave the pin in the cup or pull it out?

I prefer to leave the pin in when I am allowed to. I figure it's going to help me more than hurt me most of the time. The only time I would consider taking it out is if it is leaning towards me (and it's not possible for it to sit inside the cup centered). If it's downhill I'll keep the pin in in almost every instance, especially if it's fast downhill. In fact, I can't remember the last time I took a shot from off the putting surface that I didn't have the pin in the cup. (Other than a tee shot when the inside of the cup was frozen solid and the flagstick wouldn't go in!)

Even when close to the hole, and especially if I'm chipping it (or putting from off the green - and even putting from the fairway) if I mis-hit it in such a way it takes off, I figure the pin would be a good "get in the way" object. At least absorb some of the heat to where it doesn't go so far away from the hole.

I'm with you Smalls! I leave it in whenever possible. The only time I haven't is if my group is in a hurry & the other guys want it out, then I might hit it without going back & sticking it in.

Depends on the lie and green from where I am taking the shot. If it's an uphill shot, most of the time I'll pull pin. It's its a level shot and I have a good lie, I'll pull the pin, but if it's a downhill shot and the pin is vertical or leaning away from me, I'll leave it in and use it as a possible backboard.

I like to leave it in on those cases I am allowed to. Figure if I happen to run one a little hot but on the right line having it in could stop it so it drops. If I hit it right that it would drop without it in, it probably would drop with it in anyway. At least that's my theory.

I agree with checkered, it has happened more times than not that the pin helped me stop or hole a chip that wouldn't have, while rarely it hurt me, so I generally keep it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back