The Bryson Dechambeau Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 14
Yesterday at Olympia Fields, BD captured the 115th US Amateur Open in dominating fashion. Dechambeau has been a force in amateur golf and is well know for his extreme analytical approach to golf. He's a physics major, plays all of his irons the same length, swings on identical planes on the back and down swings, and is a strict disciple of the Golfing Machine. He is also painfully slow to watch putt, as he examines the putt from every angle possible, yet made many 10+ ft putts yesterday.

His approach to golf is appealing to many while many others wonder if they should follow suit with club length. So what effect will BD have now and moving forward? Do we see a BD line of irons? A complete revitalization of the Golfing Machine? A throng of teachers telling us to obsess more with the technicalities of the swing? Or not so much?

I think he'll be the exception to the rule, not the norm.

I found it interesting that he floats a golf ball to find its gravitational center

I have actually talked with a club manufacturer about this before and we had an interested conversation on it. He was going to build a set but I don't know what ever happened. I ended up re-working my irons and reducing the gaps in length between them. It worked great but I had to get new irons after the groove rules changed.

The one length thing has been around for a long time. John Hoeflich designed a set like this called EQL for Tommy Armour way back when.
As for his "analyticalness" (made up word), its gawd damn ****ing painful to watch on the golf course. I hope they drop the hammer on the young man at the next level about pace.

I like this dude, but agree with Josh he is soooooo slow. He will have to speed up at the next level I would think

I think this style of golf will only work for a certain type of person. I know if I tried to be that detail oriented I would be an even worse golfer than currently, but it wouldn't matter because I would never play again because it would be so painful.

I like the one length idea for your average hack, and have considered switching to something similar in the past. I think it could be helpful to get in the groove. But for a golfer of a high level such as him I would certainly think the additional gapping of separate lengths would be helpful.

I predict Ben Crane will call him out for slow play the first time they are paired together

I personally don't think it will ever catch on.

How can I put this delicately? We're collectively the population that cares more about the Kardashians than the public debt and health care. I don't think there are that many of us who have the gray matter to replicate DB's approach.

seems like a good kid. i can't stand watching him play golf. hate the swing, hate the pace of play, don't really like clothes he wears. i really think he'll get demolished on the next level. i don't wish any ill-will on him. honestly...

I like his game,watching him on the first hole yesterday was so painful. Pacing back and forth looking for the ball and all that made me upset. He is a great golfer but I dislike his speed of play other then that he's awesome. I like his irons he uses and the set up he has going on. His swing is pretty interesting to watch I look forward to watch him turn pro after the cup

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

He stands so upright with his clubs it's wierd to watch at first.
He's slow.
He's talented.

I don't think he will change the way equipment is made or sold for the masses but I'm sure more than a few 'copycats' will emerge.

It's nice to think that, but is anyone at the "next level" really enforcing pace of play all that much?

Bingo. He'll fit in with about half of the PGA Tour with his pace of play.

Watched him play in the FedEx St Jude tournament earlier this summer. Didn't notice him playing slow but did notice how well he strikes the ball.
The same length iron won't catch on but it is neat and works for him.

@bigtazzGOLF
Sent from Big Orange country
using Tapatalk #GoVols

The slow play kills any of my interest in his methods. I'd like to see Matt Jones destroy him in a match play event.

I just realized that the US Amateur champion always plays the first 2 rounds of the Masters with the defending champion. So Spieth and Dechambeau will be paired together. They'll be on the clock on the first tee with the pace of play of those 2 guys.

I can appreciate the analytical side of his game but like others have said it is slow which is boring to watch.

How can I put this delicately? We're collectively the population that cares more about the Kardashians than the public debt and health care. I don't think there are that many of us who have the gray matter to replicate DB's approach.

Is u saying we is dum?

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I just realized that the US Amateur champion always plays the first 2 rounds of the Masters with the defending champion. So Spieth and Dechambeau will be paired together. They'll be on the clock on the first tee with the pace of play of those 2 guys.
I think I know who is going to be suffering the penalty. Hint, not Jordan

I think I know who is going to be suffering the penalty. Hint, not Jordan

Neither of them will get penalized because both of them are more than 14 years old.

Looks like He plays a Cobra Driver, 3W and Utility.
His irons and wedges look old with lead tape. Those and his putter are all Edel prototypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back