Does offset affect you mentally?

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
We see in threads people talk about to much or not enough offset in irons. Like many I can get mental about golf, swing, clubs, etc. having gamed several different clubs over the last 3+ years some of which include cf16, z545, z765, miura cb57, 716 CB, 716 AP2, 716 TMB and now 718 CB/MB and have tested several others in GI and players iron categories. I think the one thing I have never really paid attention to is the offset. Top line, overall size are usually what I pay more attention too.

Are you one that pays attention to offset?
Does the amount (too much/too little) affect you either in a positive or negative mindset about the ability to hit a club?

Offset doesn’t really get to me all that much. It may be because my first “real” set of irons was of the GI variety with plenty of offset. What I don’t find appealing is an extra chunky sole that is visible at address in the long-mid irons. Topline is also something I’ll pay attention to but many makes do a good job with shaping to give a thicker topline the appearance of being thinner than it actually is.

It’s not something that’s ever really bothered me - I’ve played sets of clubs with widely differing amounts of offset and had equal success. That said, if I haven’t played a set with a bunch of offset in a while it takes a bit to get setup figured out.

I honestly could not say at this point. It has been so long since I have used, or even set a club in front of me. with significant offset that I am not sure how it would effect my mindset.

I have to think it does mainly because I don't like the way it looks. I grew up playing blades, offset looks weird to my eye just as a does a thick top line or wide sole

I hate offset, I don’t like the look. Mentally it doesn’t bother me I just don’t like the look.

I don't like any large amount of offset. To my eyes and brain it just looks silly, and honestly I just don't get it. I've never personally seen a performance benefit of any kind from offset.

Oh yeah, it kills me both mentally and practically. I don't like the look and my swing is effected by the actual offset. I feel like I need to slow down to let the club face catch up. I know it's only mental, but I start manipulating things and it causes havoc. I see the benefit for those who wish to hit the ball higher, but it does nothing for me. Maybe one day.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

It's similar to a thicker top line, larger head, paint color. After a few swings it pretty much disappears for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh yeah, it kills me both mentally and practically. I don't like the look and my swing is effected by the actual offset. I feel like I need to slow down to let the club face catch up. I know it's only mental, but I start manipulating things and it causes havoc. I see the benefit for those who wish to hit the ball higher, but it does nothing for me. Maybe one day.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

This is the thought process that led me to do the thread after talking to a friend about one of his clubs and how he isn't getting along with it.

It's similar to a thicker top line, larger head, paint color. After a few swings it pretty much disappears for me.

Same here. Hitting your 4i the other day I didn't even pay attention to the shape, top line or offset. Just put the club behind the ball and picked my target then swung

I’m actually bothered mentally if an iron has too much offset. I like that face to have a tendency to lay open, not close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I like the look and the results, offset is not an issue.

I don't like the looks of anything more than a little offset and have never played an iron with anything more than my current Z765s which have about 0.1" on the 7 iron. The new 718 AP3's looked like they had too much offset when I hit them last week.

I hate offset, I don’t like the look. Mentally it doesn’t bother me I just don’t like the look.

That's me. I look down at that club and it looks broken to me. I can still hit it but don't like it.

I hate allot of offset. The more pronounced hosel makes me think I'm going to shank everything.

Offset isn't something I pay attention to. I focus more on the top line thickness or overall size of the iron.

More and more I like a thinner topline in a compact head with forgiveness built in.

Only on the driver on irons no it doesn't I think it's because I'll hit a bunch of irons in the off season so I can go pretty seamless from a MB with minimal offset to something with a lot of off set.

lack of offset bothers me more because it makes me feel like I really need to pure the shot. When I see more than enough offset, it doesn't really bother me, I just expect the ball to go super high at that point.

Offset doesn't have any impact to me, the thickness of the top line and the sole impact my "mental" relationship with the club to a higher degree.

One of my favorite irons back in the day where the Ping ISI's, relatively thin top line and sole but lots of offset, that iron fit my eye really well. Move forward to the G10 thru G20 days and they were so big and bulky I just couldn't get along with them.

No it doesn’t bother me....not much at all bothers me when looking down at a club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not too worried about offset, but it has to be consistent.

If I've got a mixed set of irons and some of them have a more substantial offset (see 718 AP2 vs AP3) I would absolutely struggle mentally between them.

That's me. I look down at that club and it looks broken to me. I can still hit it but don't like it.

LOL, it does look broken. Irons I think I can give a little pass. But drivers and woods, no way.

I'm not too worried about offset, but it has to be consistent.

If I've got a mixed set of irons and some of them have a more substantial offset (see 718 AP2 vs AP3) I would absolutely struggle mentally between them.

Don't look in my bag hahaha. But my eyes are old so I don't see as good as you young guns.

I never really give it much thought. I've always played irons with a bit of offset, and while I appreciate the look of an iron with little offset, I'm just so used to seeing offset thay it doesn't have an effect.

Back