Which OEM do you overlook?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Q is simple, which OEM(s) do you consistently overlook? Why is that?

Wilson Staff but that is starting to change with their recent offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taylormade, just haven’t had good luck with their products over the years so now I just don’t even bother.

Q is simple, which OEM(s) do you consistently overlook? Why is that?

I would say I over look Wilson because they do not have a presence in my area.

I like them as a company and I hope they are more abundant here in the future.

I overlook premium brands that fall outside of the scope of what I'm comfortable spending on golf equipment for the most part. That's typically all. While I do have some brand preferences, all the major brands are putting out some quality equipment with comparable innovations in many ways.

If I had too pick one brand, it would be Ping. Never had any good experience with their products outside of the Ketsch putter I used to own.

Last edited:
Wilson and callaway. Basically slept on these two companies forever. Now I have a set of callaway irons and I demo’d the triton. For me now it’s Taylor made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Srixon

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Staff
My answer is Mizuno.

The "Butter" crowd is/has-been so effing annoying, but they really do perform.

Second would be Tour Edge, I consistently sleep on them too much when it comes to hybos.

Ping. I'm just never blown away by their stuff performance or visually. It's not to say they're a bad company by any means, but their products and I don't get along.

Mizuno. They seem non-existent in the woods, wedges and ball categories, and I've found other irons I've been happy with.

Cobra and Cleveland and it's a shame really because they both have come out with clubs to help the Higher Handicapper.

Wilson. I've tried them lately, but haven't liked them. Some of that is perception lag from when they were once disastrously owned by Pepsico, and that was when Reagan was President. It's probably not fair to them. Honorable mention to Titleist (I view them as player's clubs, therefore not for me.) I don't overlook them as much as as eliminate them fairly quickly in the selection process.

Mizuno. They seem non-existent the woods, wedges and ball categories, and I've found other irons I've been happy with.

FWIW, their wedges are always damn good. Just nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo buzz.

I would agree with the above. W/S for me as well. Not sure why, they obviously make solid products and advertise those products, I just never paid attention to them. I guess I should make an effort to change that.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

TaylorMade....ever since the days of RBZ and 17 more yards, I have just never considered them for an equipment purchase. They do absolutely nothing in wedges and most of their iron offerings are just meh. Only thing I would even consider trying at this point in time would be one of their drivers.

Wilson Staff, Bridgestone, Tour Edge, Cobra

All because they are not available in my area so I have no chance to try them before I (potentially) buy

Ping. I'm just never blown away by their stuff performance or visually. It's not to say they're a bad company by any means, but their products and I don't get along.

I agree 100%. I had a brief stint with a set of G irons but other than that its just not for me. I want to get a long with there stuff but I just don't.

Srixon but I'll definitely hit the 565's when looking at irons this winter.

My answer is Mizuno.

The "Butter" crowd is/has-been so effing annoying, but they really do perform.

Second would be Tour Edge, I consistently sleep on them too much when it comes to hybos.

As a higher handicap player, I never seriously look at Mizuno. And I think I'm a bit of a contrarian when it comes to jumping on the bandwagon with popular companies (at least in the past).

For some reason I never really feel drawn to Ping stuff. I think maybe because my father-in-law got fitted a while back with some super GI irons that had huge soles. I thought they were really unattractive compared to what other companies were offering. But that was 10+ years ago.

Up until this year it was Ping. I always wanted to play Ping since I was a kid but whenever their equipment came out it never impressed me.

Ping and Titelist. Their stuff just doesn't speak to me, and I always see them as players clubs, regardless of the fact that they both make a pretty wide spectrum of clubs

Ping. I've always given their products a swing here and there, and like the i and s lines of irons quite a bit, but I've never really gotten on with any of their metals or putters.

I re-read your question. Unlike a lot of others I was on to Wilson but frankly I wish they would move quicker to market themselves and their reps would ask for the order more aggressively.
The one I have overlooked is Titleist. They are so good in all categories. Even head wear and bags. Just quality. I almost get intimidated when I see a guy with a bag full of their stuff. It just shouts "player" I am glad they are reaching out to guy like me more.

At the moment it's TM because they have not released anything recently that I would even want to consider trying out.

In terms of historically overlooking it's Wilson, Exotics, Mizuno for no other reason than by the time I went down my mental roll-a-dex of OEM's to look at for new gear, they were often towards the bottom of that list.

Woods - Wilson Staff
Irons/Wedges - TaylorMade

Back