What investments in your game are you making?

robmypro

Reaction score
Most of us are serious about our game, which got me wondering about the investments we are making to improve. I am making investments in several areas right now.

1. Playing and Practicing More

I am playing at least once per week now, and practicing my short game as much as I am practicing at the range. So there's a definite investment in time and money.

2. Data Investment

I just bought the Arccos GPS and Stat Tracking Sysyem. It was $330, including an extra putting sensor so the wife and I can share one system. If I don't know what is really going on, I am shooting in the dark. It's an investment in information. My GPS watch was another investment in information, and it helps to know exactly how far I am away for the next shot.

3. Putting Aids

I just bought the AimPoint putting DVD. My putting goes from good to shockingly bad, so this was an easy choice for me. I need all the help I can get.

4. Equipment

This is an area I have not really invested a lot in this year. I did buy a new putter, and a 3 wood, but last year I bought ClicGear carts, in addition to full clubs for both of us. Right now the biggest investment I am making is in using the ProV1's full time.

5. Lessons

Last year I had a group lesson with the wife and daughter, and it helped. I had one this year with a local pro, and it was huge. A trained eye can just spot the obvious flaw, and it was the best $75 I ever spent on golf. It helped the wife a lot, too. But I am not going to do full time lessons right now, instead using them when my game develops an issue. And it always does. If you haven't done at least one lesson yet, I highly recommend it. Your game could be one tweak away from much lower scores.

Of all of the above, the one lesson has had the biggest impact for me. But everything else helped. Moving forward I am going to continue to invest in more playing time, and the occasional lesson. I don't really see new equipment, or more gadgets in the cards. But then again, I could read one of the reviews here and throw that plan out the window! New and shiny! Sold!

What investments are you making in your game? Which ones have paid the biggest dividends for you?

For me the biggest investment currently is time. I'm playing 3 times a week or more. (not that it helps.... :banghead: )

I did buy a push cart this year, and I've been walking more.

My biggest invest is time for my body. Have figured out that I am not getting any longer and unless I do something about it in the Gym I will not get better

My biggest investment is time as well. I practice twice a week for 2 hours and try to play once or twice.

Definitely equipment- replaced everything besides 3H and putter

Also time - I hit the range alot more this season and have been playing more as well.

My biggest investment is time as well. I practice twice a week for 2 hours and try to play once or twice.

+1.
And lessons.

Spending more time in the short game area vs. banging balls at the range. I also need to get back to a regular exercise routine.

Lessons and spending time on short game/putting.

With #TheGrandaddy on the horizon I'm spending time with my scoring irons/wedges the most. I'll continue to work on my putting, but from my 9i to 54* I have to be automatic. Im not trying to hole out or get to a certain distance, I just want to be consistent, know my yardages and hit greens.

I'm also going to play against lower caps to test my entire game. No pops, straight up match play so I know exactly where I'm at and provide the best possible indication of what kind of game I'm brining to California in December.

1. Lessons (same as last year)

2. Practice

3. Joined a semi-private club w/free practice facilities (makes practice easier/cheaper)

My time is my only investment....Lord knows I have enough clubs

With #TheGrandaddy on the horizon I'm spending time with my scoring irons/wedges the most. I'll continue to work on my putting, but from my 9i to 54* I have to be automatic. Im not trying to hole out or get to a certain distance, I just want to be consistent, know my yardages and hit greens.

I'm also going to play against lower caps to test my entire game. No pops, straight up match play so I know exactly where I'm at and provide the best possible indication of what kind of game I'm brining to California in December.

Thats similar to what i did for Gauntlet prep. Golf changes now knowing that there is not only a team of 11 guys, but an entire community that you are playing for. It really helps take things shot by shot

Pretty much just THP for me at this point. My priorities have drastically changed and I do not get nearly the amount of time that I used to devote to the game. I really want to shoot some videos for the Panda so he can look at things and give me some things to work on over the Winter. I need to make the later happen and also get the swing area in my garage built.

Joining a private club. Unlimited access to quality practice facilities to work on all parts of my game. Also the unlimited golf gives me a mental freedom. I don't feel like I have to get in a full round each time as when I was paying for each time I played. If I wanted to work on something on-course, I can do it without feeling like I am not getting my money's worth. Hitting balls on a range or in a short game facility can only do so much.

Thats similar to what i did for Gauntlet prep. Golf changes now knowing that there is not only a team of 11 guys, but an entire community that you are playing for. It really helps take things shot by shot

That's it for me. Take each shot for what it is and live in the present. I'm also going to force myself to mange a course better and attack it when I can. I'll be golfing a lot with a friend who played college golf for UofH & I'm hoping to lean on him for that competitive mindset.

putting lessons. have my second scheduled tomorrow. some moments of encouragement, but still lots of really bad stuff going on with the flatstick. over the last year i've managed to go from fearing to having confidence in my driver and my irons, so i'd like to take the putter from fear to confidence as well.

My biggest investment is just in clubs and membership. I don't need all the stats, or training aids. I just play and try not to overthink things.

By far the biggest investment I've made this year is in getting lessons with the best teacher in our State. It has helped tremendously. I've built a swing that is now fundamentally correct and it's stopped me from playing "golf swing". I drive four hours and fifteen minutes each way, so I invest an entire day too, but it's been worth it. I go again in three weeks.

Time as well. I try to play 3 times a week. I am now throwing a 2 hour practice in a week. Also I am tracking stats. I don't want to spend money on the Arccos so I keep the same stats then enter them into a spread sheet my Pro made with all the math. I use my GPS for driving distances.

Good question!

Equipment: Fitted iron set and wedges, new 3wood and putter. Used driver and hybrid.

Golfing: Season pass; 1-2 rounds play per week.

Practice: 1000-1500 practice balls/week + min of 1 hour short game practice

Lessons: 4 so far this year, including a full swing change.

I'm all in and having a blast.

Definitely the investment of time.

Time on the range.
Time on the putting green.
Time on the course.
Time to reflect.
Time to enjoy.

Largest investment is time.

At the range.
At the short game and putting areas.
Playing golf 8 times a month, minumum.
Lessons (although I purchased a package last year, so this is not a $ expense this year).
Membership to a good golf course.

I have not seen a significant decrease in my handicap, but I can promise you that my game has improved immensely when things are working.

Equipment: My irons are new and built to my specs from a previous (2014) fitting. I've recently tinkered with swing weight and increasing all my clubs to D5 has really helped with my tempo and shot results. I also switched to the Callaway XR driver earlier this year and have benefited from the forgiveness that club offers.

Golfing: Club membership with unlimited golf. Though, I've only got a little over 20 rounds in this year. I need to get on course more. But family, work, and weather has got in the way a lot this year. I'm hoping to get close to another 20 rounds in by the end of the year. I'm in Texas so the season is really just starting here.

Practice: For a long time I was hitting the range 4-5 times a week. As my swing has improved I've cut that down and now typically go twice a week. I am less sore over all and think I'm getting more out of my range sessions now that I've cut them back. I also spend at least 50% of my range time on short game and it's showing on the course.

Lessons: I've been golfing since July 2013. From that date through this July I've taken over 30 lessons. I feel like I'm to the point that lessons right now aren't really helping. I need to work through the feelings necessary to make good shots and then engrain them. I've been doing that and have seen a lot of good over the past few months. I'm not sure that I'll take any more this year.

The largest and most beneficial investment I will be making this fall and next year is time, I have not been able to apply myself like I have in years past and making a commitment to get back to what got me to a low single digit capper is by far the right move for me. Range range range!

Spent a lot of time playing this year. It has paid off tremendously around the greens. I am getting the ball in the hole better than I ever have. I have been tweaking my equipment for 2 years and I finally have a near perfect bag for myself. The last thing I really want to try is a 5 wood instead of my 4 wood.

Back