2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got up early and did my cardio routine before breakfast. Feels great to already be done with my workout for the day, but getting up early kind of sucks.

You may learn to love it. Before my wife took her new job, we started doing the gym at 6AM. It took a week or two to get used to, but I found I ended up preferring the early mornings much more.

You may learn to love it. Before my wife took her new job, we started doing the gym at 6AM. It took a week or two to get used to, but I found I ended up preferring the early mornings much more.
I've been sweating all morning, which isn't usual. I'm assuming it has to do with my early morning workout, would that make sense?

I've been sweating all morning, which isn't usual. I'm assuming it has to do with my early morning workout, would that make sense?
Yup. It's your body repairing itself after all of the work you've been doing. It's a good thing. But you will adapt

The gym I go to is going through a renovation. The owner mentioned on Facebook that he is getting a monolift and is putting it into a new squat rack. Of course I read that and ask him, "can I do curls in it?" He got a chuckle out of it.

Power cleans and weighted chins tonight. It's going to be a good time.

Back to walking home from work in the evenings (1.5 mile) now that I am recovering from my bout of flu

The walking I did over the weekend just reinforced how quickly you lose fitness when you are unable to do anything, so I am slowly building back up again
If my back is up to it, I may attempt to play badminton next week now that the club season has started again (I can't make it this week) but I will be taking it very easy if I do go as I don't want to end up with a slipped disc again

Back to walking home from work in the evenings (1.5 mile) now that I am recovering from my bout of flu

The walking I did over the weekend just reinforced how quickly you lose fitness when you are unable to do anything, so I am slowly building back up again
If my back is up to it, I may attempt to play badminton next week now that the club season has started again (I can't make it this week) but I will be taking it very easy if I do go as I don't want to end up with a slipped disc again

I think we all too often take good health for granted. When it's missing then comes the wake up call. Glad you're feeling better Doc ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we all too often take good health for granted. When it's missing then comes the wake up call. Glad you're feeling better Doc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you sir,

It is that old cliche that you don't realise what you have got until it is gone, and health is definitely the biggest thing like you say
And it takes a lot less time to lose it than it does to get it back!

I had a spell a few years ago with injuries that lost me pretty much 2 seasons of badminton and the weight just crept up on me, but I am slowly getting back to a comfortable weight again and building up the fitness so by December, if I get that call, I will be fighting fit and ready to take down the ZooCrew

Man, I am awful at squats. I am upping them to 2x/week from the current 1x.

Making progress on DL (200x4, 225x1), Bench (165 5x5), Press (90 5x5 and going up) and slowwww progress on chins (still can't do a wide grip pullup). But squats, just miserable and for pathetic weight - I'm OK till juuust above parallel, but have no power out of the hole once I get there. Oh well, to get better at squats do more squats, I have read, and so I shall.

Weights tonight: squats, press, and dead lifts. There is something so empowering about getting into a squat rack and just knowing you're going to do some work. I made sure to focus on form tonight and the squats seemed to go a little easier than last time, so I think my form was a bit off. Presses are getting harder as the weight bumps up, so I think I need to really check my form on those to make sure I'm not making them harder on me than they have to be. Dead lifts went well, bumped the weight 15 and it still feels a little light, but I'm sure it will catch up to me. I just love weight days.

Weights tonight: squats, press, and dead lifts. There is something so empowering about getting into a squat rack and just knowing you're going to do some work. I made sure to focus on form tonight and the squats seemed to go a little easier than last time, so I think my form was a bit off. Presses are getting harder as the weight bumps up, so I think I need to really check my form on those to make sure I'm not making them harder on me than they have to be. Dead lifts went well, bumped the weight 15 and it still feels a little light, but I'm sure it will catch up to me. I just love weight days.
Bump the deadlift weight up 25 next time. I'm not being arbitrary. We need to get those heavier. Let's make your time efficient.

Bump the deadlift weight up 25 next time. I'm not being arbitrary. We need to get those heavier. Let's make your time efficient.
Consider it done. Who knew lifting heavy stuff could be so fun.

In the gym. Squats and presses. Worked up to two triples at my 5 rep weight for next week. One of my knee wraps popped off half on my second rep in my last set. That suuuuuucked

I've gone back to basics. 3x30 push-ups every morning for 30 days. Then ten air squats whenever I sit down or stand up from a chair.

I'm PRing on the press tonight. Eff it. Lift large leave a big corpse.

Nailed it. It wasn't the cleanest press. But I'll take it.

[video=youtube;PzI-ApHupNs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzI-ApHupNs&sns=em[/video]

Keep up the good work guys. I've been slacking but back to it

Good first work set. Went well

[video=youtube;Bg5c-8ldNIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg5c-8ldNIQ&sns=em[/video]

Second work set was good. Except the wrap popping off. Of course it was on the knee that I need the most support

Was the wrap not fully applied?

Yeah. I don't think I tied it off very well. Live and learn.

At what point do you think knee wraps, weight belts, and wrist straps become needed? Is that a person by person thing or is there a general guideline?

At what point do you think knee wraps, weight belts, and wrist straps become needed? Is that a person by person thing or is there a general guideline?
Belts are good for work sets on every lift except power cleans. Good belts, proper belts. Wrist wraps are a personal thing. I would hold off until you find where your strength threshold is. Knee wraps and sleeves are great if you have issues that need some support.

I only ever wear a belt, wrist wraps and knee wraps on the last warm up set and work sets.

Belts are good for work sets on every lift except power cleans. Good belts, proper belts. Wrist wraps are a personal thing. I would hold off until you find where your strength threshold is. Knee wraps and sleeves are great if you have issues that need some support.

I only ever wear a belt, wrist wraps and knee wraps on the last warm up set and work sets.
And on the other hand, I don't wear belts or wraps for anything other than my 5+ last set to keep me focused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back