What's Your Gimme Range?

theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
Well, not what you give for yourself but what you give to your playing buddies.

I was in a golf outing lately playing with high school buddies whom I haven't seen for years. Since there wasn't any betting, and the course was particularly hard due to strong winds coming off a typhoon, I was liberally handing out gimmes up to 4 feet.

My rationale was that we weren't betting, and this was a fun outing, so there wasn't any reason to sweat over the short ones.

What's the longest gimme you give and any other thoughts on gimmes?

10 feet? I kid. It just depends, but if it's within a couple feet and we're just playing a casual round and I'm pretty sure he or she would make it anyways, I'll give it to them. I'm pretty liberal with it.

No gimmes unless it is official match play from me. I just chewed a guys @ss last week for hitting my ball back at me when I chipped to a foot for birdie. I want to hear it in the cup.

wow that's hardcore.

If it's within a foot or two and not for birdie then it's a gimme.

Last edited:
I rarely play anybody for anything so you can take whatever kind of gimme that you want. I'll usually give anything under two feet or so. The guy that I played in the club championship gave anything inside his putter grip so that took out the guesswork/gamesmanship.

The lip. Everyone I play with putts everything out.

Fun round with friends really depends on the round really. If we are playing slower I can get to a putters length or so but if it anything is on the line you putt it out.

The lip. Everyone I play with putts everything out.

Depends on the putt. Generally speaking 2 to 3 ft. If it's down hill left to right they are putting it.

I actually play with as many as 50/60 different players all year, and I know of very few who even give a thought to anything other than putting out.

If money is on the line or if it's for a birdie, there are no gimmes. Otherwise, it really depends on who's putting, but normally it's gotta be inside of 20 inches. Nearly all of the guys I play with putt everything out and/or won't take a gimme outside of 15-18 inches. One of my buddies has to be inside of a foot before anyone will give him a putt.

Dont really play for money or anything so we have always done inside the putter length. I like to putt out if I can but If we are just playing a casual fun round then I dont really care what they do.

Can vary greatly in a match play situation, especially early in the match.

In my weekly game we play gimmies "inside the leather". This helps speed play as it removes guys taking stance, practice swing and stroke on putts inside 2.5 feet.

Eh, if there is nothing on the line I'll give it at 2 or 3 feet. I never tap it back, only say that it is good if they want it. I prefer to putt things out most rounds and assume others do too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say 3 to 4 feet

Anything in the leather (so a few feet).

You'll putt out birdie putts. If you've proven you can make them I'll give 3-4 footers.

I will adapt to my surroundings, if I am given a certain range than that range will be given in return. Not very used to it though, most groups I play with at my course putt everything out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Depends. I'm usually pretty generous unless something is on the line. Also if something is on the line I may give a few early in the round that I'll make ya putt later in the round.

My gimmie range (as what I will accept)? Inside two feet, unless pace of play is an issue.
I will give others putts if they are around 3-4 feet, especially if we are not playing for anything.
If there is something on the line? I guess 18".

Our rule of thumb for most in our league is a putter length which works well. Unless it's for birdie.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3 feet for me. If you prove you can nail 5 footers, I'll give em of they're straight. Fantastic up and down for bogey to 7 feet? No putter needed. I'm as giving as they come and I don't care. Always give the option to let them put if they want to, but 99% don't.

When it's within a couple or three feet, I'm a "It's good if you want it" guy if I am tending the flag or otherwise right by the hole. I rarely assume.

My gimme range is whatever the person I am playing with wants to take, but I myself want to putt everything out. I paid to play, I don't play for the sound of the chunk over the treeline...i want to hear the rattle of the ball in the cup. At the same time, when playing with a group that gives me a gimme I don't want and tosses me the ball, I keep my mouth shut and go with the flow. Golf is less important to me than getting along with people. At the same time, as soon as someone does the give me a gimme thing...i know I cannot record that round for handicap, so it does bother me a bit but I try not to let it show

Back