2015 POY - Spieth or Day?

• Jordan Spieth

Votes: 95 59.4%
  • Jason Day

Votes: 65 40.6%

• Total voters
5 vs 4?
6,680 vs 4,392?

thought is was player of the year. Also 2 major wins and 2 top 5s in the other 2. Which the best players in the WORLD say are the hardest events to win. 4 2nds for Speith 0 for day.

5 vs 4?
6,680 vs 4,392?
Dan, it's over the course of year for me. Jordan shows me more consistent play over the year.

thought is was player of the year. Also 2 major wins and 2 top 5s in the other 2. Which the best players in the WORLD say are the hardest events to win. 4 2nds for Speith 0 for day.

Of course it is player of the year. That's why it's so impressive that Day has won over 26% of his starts (once more than Spieth) while Spieth only just under 17% of his starts. He's also currently terrorizing a field full of the best players of the year as the season comes to a close.

You can tell me that two majors give Spieth the auto bid, or that runner ups mean something, but I won't agree with you. The US Open was a complete joke, and a massive thread agrees with me.

Dan, it's over the course of year for me. Jordan shows me more consistent play over the year.

He has more wins and more FedEx Cup points than Spieth despite playing fewer tournaments. You're talking about consistency siding with Spieth, yet he's missed two cuts against the best players (by result) on the PGA Tour this year. How is that consistent play?

He has more wins and more FedEx Cup points than Spieth despite playing fewer tournaments. You're talking about consistency siding with Spieth, yet he's missed two cuts against the best players (by result) on the PGA Tour this year. How is that consistent play?
From jan to a few weeks ago his level of play was steady. day has put on a clinic for the past month to gain a great deal of this points. Plus next week it all resets so Jordan could win the FedEx title. Jordan has a lower stroke average over more events as well.

Of course it is player of the year. That's why it's so impressive that Day has won over 26% of his starts (once more than Spieth) while Spieth only just under 17% of his starts. He's also currently terrorizing a field full of the best players of the year as the season comes to a close.

You can tell me that two majors give Spieth the auto bid, or that runner ups mean something, but I won't agree with you. The US Open was a complete joke, and a massive thread agrees with me.[/QUOTE

We have to agree to disagree on this one. Enjoyed the debate though.

I say Spieth because of the 2 majors, but holy cow what a hard race to pick a winner in, and shows what amazing seasons these two had!

Winning two majors and competitive in the other two outweighs one major and recent success. Speith all day, even if Day wins the Tour Championship and the FedEx Cup.

It is still to be determined. But, I'd give Spieth a slim margin right now because of the two majors.

I mean talking about the entire year, Day performed the entire time as well IMO.

Feb - 1 win, T4
April - T4
June - T9
July - 1 win, T4
Aug - 2 wins, T12
Sep - 1 win, T12

Not really 1 month of getting hot. Jordan's had a very impressive year, not arguing that, but Day didn't just come out of nowhere. I think just as it works with every other sport, getting hot at the right time (playoffs/end of season) is huge.

From jan to a few weeks ago his level of play was steady. day has put on a clinic for the past month to gain a great deal of this points. Plus next week it all resets so Jordan could win the FedEx title. Jordan has a lower stroke average over more events as well.

You're using the scoring average as an advantage for Jordan despite it being only 0.179 better than Day. From where I come from, that's called a wash. Day owns Spieth in birdie average by 0.24 per round. So we'll call that one a wash? Day also owns the lowest Major Score EVER at 20 under par.

Day also joins a list of only two other players to have won 5 or more times in a single season over the past 20 years. If Spieth can win the final and secure the FedEx, I think it's a different story. He matches at five and gets the overall nod. If he falters like he has been, I think Day's position gets even better for the POY nod.

You're using the scoring average as an advantage for Jordan despite it being only 0.179 better than Day. From where I come from, that's called a wash. Day owns Spieth in birdie average by 0.24 per round. So we'll call that one a wash? Day also owns the lowest Major Score EVER at 20 under par.

Day also joins a list of only two other players to have won 5 or more times in a single season over the past 20 years. If Spieth can win the final and secure the FedEx, I think it's a different story. He matches at five and gets the overall nod. If he falters like he has been, I think Day's position gets even better for the POY nod.
You guys have swayed me, I agree Day has had a more impressive year. I guess I was lumping in Jordan's play in late 2014. But I agree, Day get the node. Unless Jordan wins next week. Then you'd have to give it to him with 5 wins and the FedEx.

a guy wins his first major, then wins the NEXT major, then almost gets into a playoff in the next major, then is in the final group in the last major, and somehow he loses poty to a guy who won one major and also missed out on the playoff in the 3rd major? just doesn't feel right. it's a really tight race. and I guess if day wins at east lake and wins the FedEx cup that will put them even closer. but 2 consecutive majors vs 1 major just feels like the clear winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day: Events - 19, Wins - 5, Top 3 - 6, Top 10 - 10, Top 25 - 14, Cuts - 2
Spieth: Events - 24, Wins - 4, Top 3 - 9, Top 10 - 14, Top 25 - 18, Cuts - 4

So close...as good as Day has been lately, Spieth was just as good if not better early on. He had 4 runner up finishes too.
Gonna go with Spieth (will change my tune if Day wins the Tour Championship though).

Day: Events - 19, Wins - 5, Top 3 - 6, Top 10 - 10, Top 25 - 14, Cuts - 2
Spieth: Events - 24, Wins - 4, Top 3 - 9, Top 10 - 14, Top 25 - 18, Cuts - 4

So close...as good as Day has been lately, Spieth was just as good if not better early on. He had 4 runner up finishes too.
Gonna go with Spieth (will change my tune if Day wins the Tour Championship though).

I have to change my vote to Speith now. We will see what happens in the next couple of weeks though.

Spieth vs Day @ Presidents Cup to settle it?

This kind of dilemma is good for golf.

Spieth.

5 vs 4?
6,680 vs 4,392?

Can't look at Fedex cup points in a vacuum because there are so many more points given to all finishes during the playoffs. Before the playoffs started, Spieth had a gigantic lead over everyone else as well. Spieth is still POY by a slight margin for me over Day given that he's had 9 top 3 finishes this year, and was top 4 in all of the majors this year.

One other thing about Spieth....he finished 1 shot out of a playoff at the Open Championship. He was sent out to play in that horrible wind/rain storm on Saturday morning, and played all of one hole and made bogey. If play isn't started that day, he likely doesn't drop that shot and he's in the playoff for the Open Championship and 3 majors in a row.

Can't look at Fedex cup points in a vacuum because there are so many more points given to all finishes during the playoffs. Before the playoffs started, Spieth had a gigantic lead over everyone else as well. Spieth is still POY by a slight margin for me over Day given that he's had 9 top 3 finishes this year, and was top 4 in all of the majors this year.

One other thing about Spieth....he finished 1 shot out of a playoff at the Open Championship. He was sent out to play in that horrible wind/rain storm on Saturday morning, and played all of one hole and made bogey. If play isn't started that day, he likely doesn't drop that shot and he's in the playoff for the Open Championship and 3 majors in a row.

You mean the same playoff Day would have joined him in at the Open? If we're going to speak in what if's, what if DJ hadn't blown the US Open and Spieth only had one major to sit on?

For the record, I was simply referencing the numbers as someone said based on those stats, the choice was obvious. I took the two most polarizing numbers I saw.

For me,it's a toss up. Both have done extremely well this year. I would say next week to make my choice.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Day for me by a narrow margin, but if he wins the FedEx Cup it's a lock.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

You mean the same playoff Day would have joined him in at the Open? If we're going to speak in what if's, what if DJ hadn't blown the US Open and Spieth only had one major to sit on?

For the record, I was simply referencing the numbers as someone said based on those stats, the choice was obvious. I took the two most polarizing numbers I saw.

And add if we are speaking with huge ifs, what if Jason Day doesn't get vertigo?

Somebody already mentioned it but Spieth did miss cuts in the first two playoffs where he shot +7 and +6

Back